2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

That's a great shot.  I'll try to remember to look around when I'm near mile 11.5.  I have a bad habit of getting so focused on my running that I miss out on a lot of the good stuff going on around me.  Cowbell + sign, or just the sign?

Honestly, it's not worth trying to find anyone in the crowd (trust me).  If you see me (or think you do), then it's just a bonus.   I have a cowbell.  Planning on cooking up a sign, but we'll see... I think I can come up with something better.

JMac - Great observation on the shoes.  Whenever I watch any of the majors on TV anymore, I swear I'm looking at a shoe commercial, with all the same bright color!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Honestly, it's not worth trying to find anyone in the crowd (trust me).  If you see me (or think you do), then it's just a bonus.   I have a cowbell.  Planning on cooking up a sign, but we'll see... I think I can come up with something better.

JMac - Great observation on the shoes.  Whenever I watch any of the majors on TV anymore, I swear I'm looking at a shoe commercial, with all the same bright color!

If you hear some runner shout out your name and he's wearing #33570, that will be me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Bert-o

I lost my rama

If you hear some runner shout out your name and he's wearing #33570, that will be me.

Well then, now that I have your bib number, I can stalk you on the app. 

3/17 - NYC Half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Are there any "must see" items at the expo for a first-timer?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

When are you planning on going?  There's a big screen video and course summary, which is good, but probably won't tell you what you don't already know (validation helps though).  Tons and tons of stuff to peruse and buy.  Some pacers will be there, so if you want to chat with one you can.  If you're lucky, there might be an elite there too.

I'll be going Friday around noon to pick up my bib for the 5K Dash on Saturday (the sucker race for those who didn't get in the real deal), and of course to check out the Expo.  One of these days, I should be smart and leave my wallet at home. 

Oh yeah, if you're taking the subway, try to get off at the Hudson Yards station.  It's pretty cool.

3/17 - NYC Half

onemile

When are you planning on going? 

When is the least crowded time to go?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

When is the least crowded time to go?

Early in the day Friday.  If you're traveling Friday, then early Saturday morning.  Pick up your bib first when you enter.

MTA - The shirt sizes have been a bit weird (larger than normal).  You can try one on first to make sure it fits.  I HIGHLY recommend you do this before taking yours.

3/17 - NYC Half

Julia1971

I think the expo is pretty much chi the same as most major race events.  The course video is a must for first timers.  In addition to the official gear from New Balance, several vendors make NYCM-inspired apparel so I try to check those out.  USATF had a cool "I run NY" shirt a few years ago that I love but feel weird wearing back home.  You can also get a shirt with your name in it if you're willing to pay and wait.

I tend to go early on Saturday after my shake out run.

Julia1971

Early in the day Friday.  If you're traveling Friday, then early Saturday morning.  Pick up your bib first when you enter.

MTA - The shirt sizes have been a bit weird (larger than normal).  You can try one on first to make sure it fits.  I HIGHLY recommend you do this before taking yours.

+1 re the shirts. The sleeves have been short on me.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

THIS. I sent a strongly worded email to NYRR last month. I don't understand what they're doing with shirt sizes. I was a small in New Balance 4 years ago, when they only provided shirts for Brooklyn, then they made them smaller when they took over all the shirt making and I was a medium somehow. I just got a medium for a race in September and I was swimming in it, so now I'm back down to a small. I'm afraid the marathon shirt will somehow be back to a medium. Why can't they just stick to a size???

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

THIS. I sent a strongly worded email to NYRR last month. I don't understand what they're doing with shirt sizes. I was a small in New Balance 4 years ago, when they only provided shirts for Brooklyn, then they made them smaller when they took over all the shirt making and I was a medium somehow. I just got a medium for a race in September and I was swimming in it, so now I'm back down to a small. I'm afraid the marathon shirt will somehow be back to a medium. Why can't they just stick to a size???

I noticed they also changed the cut of their shirts.  An long-sleeved XL was always long enough in the sleeve for me, but it used to have room for air to circulate.  The last one I got was pretty snug around the chest and gut.  Frustrating.

As to when, I plan to be there Friday morning.

onemile

In my experience, getting a race shirt that actually fits well is an exception, not the rule. I am always surprised when that happens. Usually they are too big or too small or just cut weird.

Pick up your bib first when you enter.

They let you do this? I've never been to an expo that didn't make you walk through the entire thing to get to the bib pickup.

Dave

Bert-o

I lost my rama

In my experience, getting a race shirt that actually fits well is an exception, not the rule. I am always surprised when that happens. Usually they are too big or too small or just cut weird.

There are dedicated volunteers that have different sizes to try them on.  I never had to wait to try one on, so it's a minute of your time to avoid cursing forever.

One year I rushed through and grabbed a medium (always same size for all NYRR shirts), but it was too big.  Last year, I got a medium for the 5K Dash (also long sleeve), and it was too small.  Go figure.

Dave - Yes, you can get your bib first here.  The expo is part of the festival, so they know people will want to go through even with bib in hand.  Unless you're a perennial regular... they're just the grumpy ones. 

3/17 - NYC Half

Nasreddin Hoja

I'll be going Friday around noon to pick up my bib for the 5K Dash on Saturday (the sucker race for those who didn't get in the real deal), and of course to check out the Expo.  One of these days, I should be smart and leave my wallet at home. 

Spectating this is pretty cool.  It races to the NYCM finish line and they run off a USATF 5K prior.  So by sneaking into the Marathon stands (not difficult)  you see the finish of the best 5kers in the US.  We saw them all last year.

Meanwhile the Fred Lebow statue has been moved. There it is on the left.  Things are nearly ready.  I'm stoked for you guys.