2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I noticed they also changed the cut of their shirts.  An long-sleeved XL was always long enough in the sleeve for me, but it used to have room for air to circulate.  The last one I got was pretty snug around the chest and gut.  Frustrating.

As to when, I plan to be there Friday morning.

Good time to go there.  Definitely try a shirt on before getting yours.

Nas - can I look for you this year in CP on Sat?  I don't mind being the crazy runner yelling "Nas!  Nas!" at the finish.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Julia1971

Boston traumatized me.  Even though the weather looks absolutely perfect for Sunday, I'm still feeling like I should pack clothes for rain. (Sigh.) Sad

I ran 2 miles @ marathon pace effort on Wednesday without looking at my watch and came up with 8:20 pace (~3:38 marathon).  I think I want marathon pace to feel easier than it is, so I'm feeling confident about running a little faster than that.  My legs felt a little achier than I thought they should, though, so I took an extra day off...  Heading out for my last run on my home turf!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Boston traumatized me.  Even though the weather looks absolutely perfect for Sunday, I'm still feeling like I should pack clothes for rain. (Sigh.) Sad

So far, weather is looking about as anyone could ever wish for.  You'll do great!

Yesterday morning and night, I saw the blue paint on Bedford, Nassau, and Manhattan Aves.  Getting exciting!!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

Nasreddin Hoja

Nas - can I look for you this year in CP on Sat?  I don't mind being the crazy runner yelling "Nas!  Nas!" at the finish.

Looks good if I get up early enough!

Fireworks tonight

6PM for the Opening Ceremony of the #TCSNYCMarathon. Fireworks will be set off inside the park (Cherry Hill) near East 72 Street.

Paul C.

Question about the buses from the Meadowlands Lot K that take you to the start:

I've scoured the marathon site for info on the times that these buses begin and end their shuttle runs to the start. All I can find is that they take approximately 60 minutes to get you there. Does anyone know the hours that these buses begin leaving, and when the last one is?

thanks in advance.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Question about the buses from the Meadowlands Lot K that take you to the start:

I've scoured the marathon site for info on the times that these buses begin and end their shuttle runs to the start. All I can find is that they take approximately 60 minutes to get you there. Does anyone know the hours that these buses begin leaving, and when the last one is?

thanks in advance.

I saw something that said they would be departing from 5:00 - 6:00 am.  Details do seem to be scant.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I got to the Expo around 11:00 this morning.  The bib & shirt pickup went very smoothly and quickly, but then all the people picking stuff up were funneled out through the NB shop, which had aisles way too small.  It was worse than being in a shopping mall on Thanksgiving weekend.  I was considering the marathon jacket, but when got jostled while trying it on, I had a fit of claustrophobia and just had to get out.  The rest of the Expo, much more spread out and not as crowded, was interesting to browse through.  Lots of stuff being offered that I'd never seen before.  I'm not sure, though, that I'd want someone applying a motorized massaging machine to my legs right before the race.  So now I'm home with my bib and a long-sleeved shirt I won't be wearing on race day.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day, isn't it? 

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

onemile

I got to the Expo around 11:00 this morning.  The bib & shirt pickup went very smoothly and quickly, but then all the people picking stuff up were funneled out through the NB shop, which had aisles way too small.  It was worse than being in a shopping mall on Thanksgiving weekend.  I was considering the marathon jacket, but when got jostled while trying it on, I had a fit of claustrophobia and just had to get out.  The rest of the Expo, much more spread out and not as crowded, was interesting to browse through.  Lots of stuff being offered that I'd never seen before.  I'm not sure, though, that I'd want someone applying a motorized massaging machine to my legs right before the race.  So now I'm home with my bib and a long-sleeved shirt I won't be wearing on race day.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day, isn't it? 

I went around the same time and had the same experience. The merchandise area was awful. I had to gtfo of there as fast as I could, which wasn't very fast due to the gobs of people blocking every route.

R&R is the plan for today

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I went around the same time and had the same experience. The merchandise area was awful. I had to gtfo of there as fast as I could, which wasn't very fast due to the gobs of people blocking every route.

R&R is the plan for today

Well, I'm glad it wasn't just me, then. 3M shakeout run done.  Time to pack and relax.  And repack.  And re-check all the plans.  And check what I packed.

Nasreddin Hoja

a lot of marathon apparel on 5K course this morning.   What a great finish on the Mens USATF.  Both of them finished in 13:45

Bert-o

I lost my rama

a lot of marathon apparel on 5K course this morning.   What a great finish on the Mens USATF.  Both of them finished in 13:45

Had a lot of fun at the 5K this morning.  During warm-ups I jogged passed #31 who a few seconds later flew by me as if I were running backwards.  It was Emily Sission, the women's winner.  Had time to stalk the elites before heading to my corral.  Amazing athletes.

Fred and onemile - Sorry to hear about the underwhelming experience at the expo.  I think I got there around 11:30 AM yesterday.  Yeah, it was a bit of a zoo.  Didn't spend much time there and only picked up a couple t-shirts and my bib for the 5K.  Rest well today!

NH - I'll post in LO forum, but DW and I went to look for the Mandarin Duck after the race and we found it.  Got some excellent pics too!  That Duck freakin stole the show for the day.

3/17 - NYC Half

Paul C.

I thought I remembered seeing that too, at some point, but now there's a dead link where you click on more details, and I can't find any times anywhere except for that "60 minute" approximate travel time from the Meadowlands to the start.  Are you taking the bus from there too?

I saw something that said they would be departing from 5:00 - 6:00 am.  Details do seem to be scant.

Julia1971

I had a decent "shake out" run in Central Park.  Once again, I found myself running behind Shalane Flanagan!  Hopefully, kicking dust in my face is her good luck charm.  Smile  (I really feel at this point she should recognize ME.)

Then, I went to the expo where...  I didn't buy anything!  I thought most of the NB items looked the same as last year.  Plus, I didn't feel like waiting in line for the dressing room.  And, I think the shirts run incredibly small.  I got a medium, took it out of the wrap, and laughed.  It's tiny!  (I can't say I like the design either.)

I had lunch and on my walk back to my hotel, realized I forgot my bib!  I ran back and luckily, it was still sitting on the floor.  Phew!  I took that as a sign that it's time to lock myself in my room and rest...

This banner says it all, "Good luck, Runners!"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I thought I remembered seeing that too, at some point, but now there's a dead link where you click on more details, and I can't find any times anywhere except for that "60 minute" approximate travel time from the Meadowlands to the start.  Are you taking the bus from there too?

Yes, I'm taking the bus from there. I plan to get dropped off around 5:15 - 5:30.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

On my race registration details, in mynyrr, I see my transportation option listed as:

New Jersey Bus (Meadowlands) 5:00-6:00AM