2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Julia1971

How'd everyone do?

I finished in 3:33:17 (8:09 pace).  Not the time I wanted when I started this training cycle, but it's a guaranteed entry for next year, which I wanted more.  My goal was to keep every mile until 8:20 pace and I think I only missed that on three miles.  I definitely could have run harder but I kept telling myself to treat this like a long run to ensure I got the time I needed.

It was a gorgeous day!  It was like Mother Nature was apologizing for Boston.  I really wanted to stop and take pictures several times during the race - the view from the Verrazano-Narrows, Mile 8 in Brooklyn, the view from the Queensboro, Central Park...

Gonna do a shake out in Central Park - I think my legs felt worse on Saturday than they do today - and maybe hit the pavilion before heading home.

onemile

3:15:20 for me. I was hoping for faster but my legs didn't feel great from the start and my garmin was all over the place. It was pretty rough in the second half.

I will definitely not be running today!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I succeeded in sticking to my race plan of not going out too fast and taking it easy for the first half, but it didn't matter, my leg tightened up on First Ave.  Still, it was a beautiful day, a wonderful event, and my family was there to share it with me.  Doesn't get much better than that.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Julia - Great job!  And yes, the weather gods were shinning on all the runners that day.

onemile - Congrats!  And it's always tough getting to the start line feeling fresh at this race.  Just getting there is a trek in itself, never mind the traveling, expo, etc.  Rest and recover well.

Fred - Congrats on your finish too!  Glad your family was there to enjoy the memories and beautiful day.

JMac - How did you do?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Julia1971

I succeeded in sticking to my race plan of not going out too fast and taking it easy for the first half, but it didn't matter, my leg tightened up on First Ave.  Still, it was a beautiful day, a wonderful event, and my family was there to share it with me.  Doesn't get much better than that.

A runner I was talking to last night said he might retire from marathons - the day was that perfect and he wanted to end on a high note.  I didn't argue with him.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great job everyone. We had a hell of a weather day out there. I came home in 2:46 for an 8 minute PR! I only positive split by 90 seconds or so, but it felt like 5 minutes with how little I had left starting at mile 18. Felt like I was running on a beach once we hit the Bronx.

Going to have to find a full replay of the men's and women's races.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Great job everyone. We had a hell of a weather day out there. I came home in 2:46 for an 8 minute PR! I only positive split by 90 seconds or so, but it felt like 5 minutes with how little I had left starting at mile 18. Felt like I was running on a beach once we hit the Bronx.

Going to have to find a full replay of the men's and women's races.

Yup, pretty much feels the same to me every time.  Congrats on a great race and huge PR!  I started reading your RR on the other thread, but it sounds like you can even be faster!  Rest and recover well.

3/17 - NYC Half

newtonmarunner

Hi All,

Glorious day for such a glorious race!  Had a rough training period.  Took at mild spill at mile 3 (stuck in Green again) trying to run a tangent while someone else was cutting across, but got lucky that it was only my hand that was bleeding for the remaining 23 miles.  I didn't PR, or do even as well as my last 3 NYC Marathons (about 90 to 150 seconds slower than my last two and a little over 10 minutes slower than the other one), but still feel each additional NYC Marathon I finish -- regardless of time -- is a bigger accomplishment than the last one.  I'm now 1/3rd of the way to becoming a 15+.  I love the city and the race, and can't see myself anywhere else on the first Sunday in November but in the Big Apple.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Hi All,

Glorious day for such a glorious race!  Had a rough training period.  Took at mild spill at mile 3 (stuck in Green again) trying to run a tangent while someone else was cutting across, but got lucky that it was only my hand that was bleeding for the remaining 23 miles.  I didn't PR, or do even as well as my last 3 NYC Marathons (about 90 to 150 seconds slower than my last two and a little over 10 minutes slower than the other one), but still feel each additional NYC Marathon I finish -- regardless of time -- is a bigger accomplishment than the last one.  I'm now 1/3rd of the way to becoming a 15+.  I love the city and the race, and can't see myself anywhere else on the first Sunday in November but in the Big Apple.

Hey, great to see you pop in here!  Congrats on your finish.  Sorry about your hand, but it sounds like you weren't nursing any injury like the year we met (2015).  Yes, it was a beautiful day for the runners.  Rest and recover well!

3/17 - NYC Half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Bert-O - I have to say that after all the hype I'd heard about how loud 1st Ave. would be, Brooklyn was louder.  Thanks.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Bert-O - I have to say that after all the hype I'd heard about how loud 1st Ave. would be, Brooklyn was louder.  Thanks.

Yes, IMO Brooklyn is better and louder, but I could be biased.   Enjoyed your RR.  You should post it here too.

3/17 - NYC Half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Per Bert's request.

Short story.  4:49:36 or 11:03 ppm.  Very long story below.

I went to bed Saturday night and set my alarm for 4:00 am, knowing it wouldn’t be too bad since due to the time change it would feel like 5:00 am.  Unfortunately, I forgot to actually set the clock back, so the alarm went off at 3:00 am.  I realized quickly what had happened and got in a few cat naps over the next hour, but no more deep sleep.

My wife and I left shortly before 5:00, headed for Giants stadium where I would take a bus to the start line.  As we approached the loading area, I noted the buses were regular city transit buses and not coaches.  I also noticed the stadium parking lots had groups of port-o-potties (PoPs) around them, presumably for tailgating fans, so I pulled over to use one rather than worry about the hour-long bus ride.  Pulling over early turned out to be a good move as all save one of the PoPs near the bus pickup had been locked shut.

The bus ride was uneventful, though as we crested the bridge from NJ to Staten Island, we could see the sky getting brighter in front of us, while to left, right, and behind it was still night, which was a cool view.  We got to the debarking point as the sun was lighting up the towers of the Verrazzano Bridge.

I got to my starting village and staked out a spot to wait, only to discover that due to placement of the fence near me, I’d picked one of the spots that would be the last to get any warming sunshine.  I moved to another place, among other runners, and was soon warmed by the sun.  I spent the time chatting with other runners around there.  We each made a couple of trips to the PoPs, and I have to say the lines were never more than 5 – 6 people long, which is the best I’ve ever seen at a NYRR event.

I got to my corral entrance about 5 minutes before it opened and moved to the back, though I was assigned to the middle, as I planned to start slowly and didn’t want to be dragged along by a crowd.  There were announcements in six languages explaining there’d be no bathrooms on the bridge and peeing on the bridge could result in disqualification.  There were plenty of PoPs in the corral and again the lines were short.  After 20 minutes, they marched us to the start line and we got ready to go.  I’ll now outline the race based on the 5km splits provided.

5k – Over the bridge and into Brooklyn. 10:01 pace.  Up over the bridge and down again.  My eyes weren’t sharp enough to pick out the Statue of Liberty, but we had a great view of the harbor and skyline.  I didn’t see anyone peeing on the bridge, but there were well over a dozen doing so right after the bridge.  Given the ample PoP availability, I didn’t quite understand that need less than 2 miles in, but I don’t know the specifics about each person.   Once we were off the highway and onto the streets, I got my first taste of what the crowds would be like – large, loud, and supportive.  I managed to take it easy going up the bridge, though being on the lower level my GPS watch was not of any use.  I may have gone down the far side a bit fast, but not overly so.

10k – In the heart of Brooklyn.  10:09 pace.  I managed to ease back a bit.  My strategy had been to run around 10:10 or slower for the first half plus, not picking it up until I crossed the Queensboro Bridge, around mile 16.  The crowds continued to be great and I was really soaking it in.  After being a bit cold crossing the bridge in my sleeveless top with tube scarf and arm sleeves, I started to warm up here and soon had the sleeves and scarf off.

15k – More of Brooklyn. 10:16 pace.  I was keeping my pace steady and marveling at the diversity of the crowd.  There were every flavor of entertainment and cheering along the way – bands, church choirs, and regular folk.  Around this time, I saw my first opportunity to use a PoP without a line, so I took it, knowing I’d have to go sooner or later.

20k – Continuing in Brooklyn.  10:14 pace.  Still running easy at this point and keeping steady.  I didn’t spot Bert-O, who I believe would be along this stretch, probably because of the crowds.  There were very few places in Brooklyn without large crowds and in places the room for runners narrowed a bit, but not enough to slow things down.

25k – Through Queens and onto the Queensboro bridge.  10:15 pace.  Queens went by pretty quickly, though there were still plenty of people there.  I didn’t try to press the pace running up the Williamsburg bridge from Brooklyn to Queens, and took advantage of the downhill side.  Going up the Queensboro bridge, I kept my head down so as not to be daunted by the climb.  I may have pressed a bit too much going up the bridge.  True to the city’s support of the race, a subway train crossing the bridge blew it’s horn for us.

30k – Into Manhattan and up First Ave.  10:15 pace.  I had read all about how the bridge would be quiet and then there’d be a wall of noise on 1st Ave.  Well, the runners were making enough noise that the bridge wasn’t that quiet.  When we got to 1st Ave, there were definitely large crowds and cheering, but I have to say Brooklyn was louder.  Around 86th St I spotted some coworkers and got high 5s from them.  That really picked me up and for about a half mile I had a new spring in my step.  However, my race plan to start speeding up here didn’t come to fruition as I was working just to maintain my pace.

35k – Manhattan, through the Bronx, and Back.  10:39 pace.  After seeing my coworkers, I was very much looking forward to seeing my family, who were to be placed further up 1st ave.  However, the crowds were too big and I missed them.  I have to say, this took some of the wind out of my sails, and I wasn’t mentally ready to keep up the pace when my right hamstring started aching.  From here on, I was getting slower, not faster.  Crossing the Willis Ave bridge into the Bronx, I felt chafing on the back of my heel from the top of my shoe, which I something I’d never had before.  I stopped to apply some body glide (and later Vaseline from a med tent).  Sadly, the full stop let my leg tighten up more, though there were volunteers at mile 20 with hand-held rollers for runners to use and I applied one to my leg.  The Bronx crowds were loud and cheerful, though we weren’t there long.

40k – 5th Ave, and into Central Park.  10:59 pace.  Since the Bronx, I’d been taking some walking breaks at each water station and the breaks got longer as we moved down 5th ave.  My form must have been getting poor as my knees were occasionally chafing against each other, another ailment I’d not experienced before.  I did manage to find my family this time around and there were joyous hugs exchanged, and that really did cheer me up.

Finish – Out of the park and back in. 11:30 pace.  Taking longer walk breaks.  The police were working hard on the crowd in the park as in some places the course had gotten pretty narrow.  I never felt impeded or in danger, as everyone was happy and cheering.  I mustered the will to run the last half mile to the finish.

The walk to the exit seemed to take while, but I sipped water, ate my apple, and picked up my poncho.  I met my family at Verdi Sq. as planned and we headed home.  I was back a bit less than 12 hours after I’d left, but with a hard-earned medal.  Though I have run a faster marathon, this course was more challenging and I could tell from the way I felt afterwards that my effort in NY was more than I’d managed in either of my previous marathons.  This was my third marathon, but my first major, and I could tell the difference in the quality of the organization & support, and the size & enthusiasm of the crowds.  The weather was great and my family was there with me.  I hope to remember this for a long time.

newtonmarunner

Yes, IMO Brooklyn is better and louder, but I could be biased.   Enjoyed your RR.  You should post it here too.

The usual loud spots (Barclays, Lafayette Ave., and 1st Ave.) were quieter (and underwhelming) while many others were impressively louder (Fourth Ave. in Park Slope, Bedford Ave./Manhattan Ave. in North Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and 5th Ave. in both East Harlem) compared to past years.  Bay Ridge and Sunset Park in Brooklyn were also better than past years.  Also, it was weird having bands on 1st Ave. when usually the noise there comes from the screaming.  East Dr. sure as heck was crowded, as was 5th Ave. in UES.

Every one of the races, I have a memory.  For my first year (2013) it was the cowbells on Lafayette Ave. and First Ave. in the 60s and 70s that caught my attention.  In 2014, Lafayette Ave., the improvement in the Bronx, and the turn into Central Park.  In 2015, the priest on the Willis Ave. Bridge in the Bronx, the Bronx itself, were the big highlights and how nice the volunteers were when I ended up in the medical tent.  2016 had the largest crowds of any NYC Marathon I had done, though they were much more subdued than in the past.  2017 I missed due to injury.  This year, the crowd numbers surpassed 2016, and definitely Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Park Slope, North Williamsburg/Greenpoint, and East Harlem on 5th Ave. were the biggest highlights.  Each additional time you do it you pick up how the crowds have changed, which neighborhood did better and which ones did worse, how the noises are made, etc.  The NYC Marathon unquestionably the world's largest annual celebration of humanity, and it only gets better every time you do it.  That said, I still believe that if you only do one marathon in your life, the NYC Marathon is the one to do.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

This year, the crowd numbers surpassed 2016, and definitely Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Park Slope, North Williamsburg/Greenpoint, and East Harlem on 5th Ave. were the biggest highlights.  Each additional time you do it you pick up how the crowds have changed, which neighborhood did better and which ones did worse, how the noises are made, etc.  The NYC Marathon unquestionably the world's largest annual celebration of humanity, and it only gets better every time you do it.  That said, I still believe that if you only do one marathon in your life, the NYC Marathon is the one to do.

I will happily take credit for North Williamsburg.   And I will be there every year when I don't get to run the race (fingers crossed for next year).

Fred - Cool you posted your RR!

While I didn't run the race this year, I had a pretty cool marathon experience.  I got up early and ran 12 miles of the course while it was being setup.  It was really fun running down 4th Ave in Brooklyn with nobody on the street.  I didn't realize how big the hill was on Lafayette until I got to run and see it without the sea of runners surrounding you (I won't mention this to anyone in future races... it's still early in the race).

Then I got home, showered, and got back out to my usual spot at mile 11.5 and cheered for the very first racer to the last for about 4 or 5 hours.  After the sweeper caravan passed by, I noticed a few stragglers who were passed by the sweepers.  I tagged along one of them making sure she was ok or needed anything.  We ended up walking together until mile 24, the entrance of Central Park, where she would go on to finish on her own.

The surreal part is what happens to the race after the sweepers pass.  The race gradually shuts down.  No aid stations, so you have to fend for yourself for water, etc.  Crowd support is gone.  The roaring cavern of crowds entering 1st Ave off Queensboro Bridge was dead silent when we got there.  All the fun bands have packed up and left.  Mile markers and timing mats have been removed.  Barricades are broken down, so the police shuffle us onto the sidewalks as cars return to the roads.  We helped navigate a couple others through the turns in the Bronx, where it does get tricky, especially with traffic back on the streets and it's now dark.

I decided to peel off at the entrance to the Park, as I had no business being at the finish.  Aside from helping pace, being moral support through tough patches where she thought of quitting, and finding bottles of water along the course, I made sure not to provide any physical assistance (I would only do that if medical attention was imminently needed).  She did finish in 8+ hours.  Not last place though, but a very unique experience for me to see what it's like to struggle to finish NYC after all race and crowd support are gone.

3/17 - NYC Half

mjrunner

Hi guys I used to be a an occasional poster in runners world nyc marathon forum.  Just recently found this site.

Congrats to all that ran this year.  It was a glorious day to run.

I ran this years marathon, my 8th NY and 10th overall. I love this race and get excited for it every year and have withdrawl when its over. I am always looking to plan my next cycle as soon as I get home from the race.

This years race while the crowds are always large and loud I found myself not remembering a lot of it. The reason being this was the first time and probably the last  I ran with a pacer especially at NY.  I was so focused trying to keep him in my site I missed out on a lot of the crowds.  I dropped back from wave 1 corral c to f to run with the 3:20 pacer. I found it very difficult to stay with him. He would accelerate when ever he saw an opening and most of us would get boxed in and fall behind.  I found myself tripping over a lot runners and other runners cliipping me more so then any ny marathon prior.

I spent most of the first 6 miles zigzagging and working to get back to the group.  I did waste a lot of energy during this time but was able to get into a groove for the next 5 or 6 miles.  Lost site after another acceleration at a water stop and pretty much let him go on the Pulaski bridge  as it was too crowded to get back to him.  I hit the half at 1:40 and I was feeling pretty good until a foot pain cropped up on the queensboro bridge.  I pressed on up first ave till the pain was too much and I stopped to adjust my shoes at mile 18. The cause being my laces were too tight which caused inflammation on my top part of my foot.  This prevented me from flexing and pushing off. I waited too long to do this as my foot was really sore so much even walking hurt.  I found I was able to slow jog where I did not have push off too much.  This slowed my pace from the 7:40s to 10+ min miles.  The next 5 or 6 miles were rough but I was able to get through it, even so much the last mile and half my foot eased up a bit and was able to increase my speed and finish strong.  I finished in 3:42, not my best but I will take it considering the pain I went through.  NY is always the best day of the year and look forward to running it again next year just never again with a pacer.  I will go back to focusing on running my race and enjoying the energy once again.

I am curious of others experiences running with a pacer especially at NY.