2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yep, coach buses with a bathroom!

Also, in case anyone missed the email, baggage and transportation options will be available in your MyNYRR account beginning August 2nd.

Thanks - saw that that email, but always good to get reminders.  Less than 100 days to go now.  Can't believe I'm already counting down.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

PhD Wil

Happy running all,

Is anyone using the virtual trainer? I'm doing the moderate plan. I'm  pasting a link to a site from a long time NYCM participant. I have found his site to be the most informative. www.runarweb.com/nycm_e.php

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Will - thanks for that link. The recommendations for family viewing will come in quite handy, I suspect.

PhD Wil

Fred I used to have someone come by first avenue around 106th street as we head toward the Bronx. They could walk back over to firth avenue and meet me their when I got back into Manhattan. The crowd thins out a bit as we head toward the Bronx but people are still there. There a space in Brooklyn that's my favorite. It's unreal

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks - saw that that email, but always good to get reminders.  Less than 100 days to go now.  Can't believe I'm already counting down.

My bus did not have a bathroom the past two years I used them, so don't rely on having access to a bathroom for at least one hour while you sit on the bus (unless you take a super early one, e.g. 5:30 or earlier).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Hmm.  I may have to crunch some numbers and see whether it makes more sense to get a ride to Newark, take the PATH train to World Trade, and then take the ferry to Staten Island.  Living in central NJ, that might make more sense than driving all the way up to the Meadowlands just to ride a bus all the way back down.

Any feedback/recommendations regarding the ferry?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Hmm.  I may have to crunch some numbers and see whether it makes more sense to get a ride to Newark, take the PATH train to World Trade, and then take the ferry to Staten Island.  Living in central NJ, that might make more sense than driving all the way up to the Meadowlands just to ride a bus all the way back down.

Any feedback/recommendations regarding the ferry?

If you want a more memorable experience, take the Ferry.  It's cool to hang out with all the other marathoners and look over the expanse of Brooklyn you'll be running in the opposite direction the ferry is going to SI.  Sun should be rising at that time too.

If you want to conserve energy, take the Meadowlands bus.  You'll walk from car to bus, then when the bus arrives at the Athlete's Village, you'll walk through security to your corral area.

Ferry route, you'll walk from PATH to the Staten Island Ferry, wait around and in line for next ferry, then walk from ferry to bus line, stand in bus line, then from bus through security to your corral area.  The last two times on the bus from the ferry to Athlete's village I had to stand because the seats were filled and they pack those buses, and it's not a short ride.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

If you want a more memorable experience, take the Ferry.  It's cool to hang out with all the other marathoners and look over the expanse of Brooklyn you'll be running in the opposite direction the ferry is going to SI.  Sun should be rising at that time too.

If you want to conserve energy, take the Meadowlands bus.  You'll walk from car to bus, then when the bus arrives at the Athlete's Village, you'll walk through security to your corral area.

Ferry route, you'll walk from PATH to the Staten Island Ferry, wait around and in line for next ferry, then walk from ferry to bus line, stand in bus line, then from bus through security to your corral area.  The last two times on the bus from the ferry to Athlete's village I had to stand because the seats were filled and they pack those buses, and it's not a short ride.

Bert-o, thanks for that feedback.  The saving energy part is definitely something to weigh against the experience of riding the ferry with other runners.  Plus, I took a close look at a map and the Meadowlands aren't really much farther north than the PATH station.  Doing some back of the envelope math, the travel time via PATH & ferry is probably a half hour longer (at least) than it would be if I caught a bus.  I'm leaning towards the bus at this point.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Bert-o, thanks for that feedback.  The saving energy part is definitely something to weigh against the experience of riding the ferry with other runners.  Plus, I took a close look at a map and the Meadowlands aren't really much farther north than the PATH station.  Doing some back of the envelope math, the travel time via PATH & ferry is probably a half hour longer (at least) than it would be if I caught a bus.  I'm leaning towards the bus at this point.

No problem!  I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken the Meadowlands bus before to see how long they had to wait, if at all.  When you get into the SI Ferry Terminal, you will probably have to wait for at least one ferry before you can get on one.

3/17 - NYC Half

onemile

I just booked my transport and poncho. It is suddenly starting to feel very real! 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Me too.  I picked poncho and NJ bus.  Too bad there aren't options for the NJ bus later than 6:00.  I guess I'll have more than a couple hours to chill out in the corrals.  Plenty of time to wait in PoP lines.  :-)

onemile

Me too.  I picked poncho and NJ bus.  Too bad there aren't options for the NJ bus later than 6:00.  I guess I'll have more than a couple hours to chill out in the corrals.  Plenty of time to wait in PoP lines.  :-)

6:00am was the latest option I had for the mid-town bus also.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

6:00am was the latest option I had for the mid-town bus also.

From mid-town, I think this is the smarter option, even if you get to the Athlete's Village earlier than you'd like.  All buses need to get to the bridge before they close it to traffic, and they re-purpose the buses to create barricades at the starting area (you won't miss them ).  Bring something disposable and waterproof (i.e. space blanket) to sit on in case the ground is wet as well as keep you warm.

Glad you guys are getting excited.  I'm getting excited, and I'm not even running it this year, haha!

3/17 - NYC Half

Dreamn

I just booked my transport and poncho. It is suddenly starting to feel very real! 

I, too, got a little excited after I made my selection . Now if only I could get my head into training.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I signed up for the poncho and 6 am bus again. Last year, I got there at 6:05 and barely made Wave 1 because we just sat on the bridge for over an hour. I probably had about 10 minutes to spare once we got off the bus. So for anyone in wave 1, make sure you are not late, and certainly if you are checking bags, consider the 5:30 am bus.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)