2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

For me:

2014 - 26.39

2015 - 26.34

2016 - 26.46*

* This year I video-d much of the race, so I purposely took the long way around corners so I wouldn't be in the way of others.  26.3 to 26.4 I'd say is what you can expect.

Also, the GPS will be inaccurate on the lower level of the VZ (Green) as well as the Queensboro (Ed Koch) Bridge.  Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad.

That sounds like pretty normal marathoning. I always plan for 26.4, and sometimes get lucky.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

26.43 for me last year.

I always recommend ditching the watch pace after mile 1 (I used it within the first mile just to make sure I'm not going too fast). There are clocks at every single mile in the race, so you can just do the math to determine whether you're too fast or too slow. In a marathon, you shouldn't be checking your watch halfway through a mile and then slowing down or speeding up because of what you're seeing. Maybe in a 5K I would do that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

One other piece of advice, although I don't know if it works when you're in the middle of huge crowds, which you probably will be at the 4 hour mark:

NYC has a lot of turns. Running tangents is very critical. You will find people tend to run in staight lines rather than taking advantage of the tangents. A good example of this is when you turn left on Flatbush and have to make a right onto Lafayette pretty quickly. Almost everybody stays to the left on Flatbush until the last minute, where they then turn right.

These little things, although seemingly silly, add up in a race like NY given the amount of turns. Look ahead, see where the turns are coming, and run in a straight line to the turning point.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

One other piece of advice, although I don't know if it works when you're in the middle of huge crowds, which you probably will be at the 4 hour mark:

NYC has a lot of turns. Running tangents is very critical. You will find people tend to run in staight lines rather than taking advantage of the tangents. A good example of this is when you turn left on Flatbush and have to make a right onto Lafayette pretty quickly. Almost everybody stays to the left on Flatbush until the last minute, where they then turn right.

These little things, although seemingly silly, add up in a race like NY given the amount of turns. Look ahead, see where the turns are coming, and run in a straight line to the turning point.

I know exactly what you mean.  I once ran a half that included a stretch of 2-lane highway and many, many people were staying in their lanes as if driving a car, rather than running corner to corner across lanes and into the shoulder.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Between my transportation option (bus from Giants Stadium) and my corral opening time (9:35 for wave 2), I'll have about 2.5 - 3 hours to spend in the athlete's village.  What does one do to pass the time there, other than wait in line for the POPs?  I have no bag to check.  I suppose I should check the alarm setting on my watch in case I doze off while waiting.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm not sure how Jersey buses work, but just realize that I had a 6 am bus from Midtown. I had to wait in line for probably 30-45 minutes for security purposes, and didn't get off the bus at SI until 9:10 or so since we just sat on the VZ bridge. Maybe it's better coming from Jersey as there is less traffic, but don't expect it to just be a quick ride.

anyway, just bring a newspaper. I usually get the NYT Sunday edition since it's so massive, it can help burn a good hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Between my transportation option (bus from Giants Stadium) and my corral opening time (9:35 for wave 2), I'll have about 2.5 - 3 hours to spend in the athlete's village.  What does one do to pass the time there, other than wait in line for the POPs?  I have no bag to check.  I suppose I should check the alarm setting on my watch in case I doze off while waiting.

Entering the athlete's village will take a bit of time.  Getting off the bus, you'll have to pass a security check, then start a bit of a walk toward your corral.  Here's what I do.

1. Skip the first set of port-o potties you see.  Everyone is in a rush to get in line, so these lines are the longest (unless the line is short, then take the opportunity).  There are plenty of other port-o potties down the road, with shorter lines.  Find those.  Standing on your feet longer than you need to is not your friend.  Visit Dunkin Donuts if you want, get a hat, coffee, food, if you want.

2. Find a nice grassy spot near your corral entrance (it will be closed to you when you get there).  Use something waterproof and disposable to sit on (space blanket, trash bag, etc).  The ground might be wet.  Make yourself nice and comfortable until the corrals open and you can enter.  Eat, drink, people watch, try to relax (hehe).

3.  Once in corral, if you're among the first to enter, got to the port-o potty asap, as there won't be lines inside, until everyone else enters the corral.  Then there will be another long line for them.

4.  Repeat #2 until the corrals begin to collapse.

5. If it's cold, DO NOT ditch your clothes too early, as there will be clothes bins inside the corrals and the penguin march to the start line.  Ditch your clothes as close to the start as you can.  Shivering waiting to start is also not your friend.  NYRR will pick them up for donation.

The time you wait will both feel like forever and like it went by in a flash.  Funky sensation, but very cool.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

JoeTracy

Hi!

We're looking for people who want to run the 2018 NYC Marathon but do not have a bib. On 10/12/18, Jimmy Kimmel Live is hosting a contest in New York where the winner gets a bib for the 2018 NYC Marathon! If anyone is interested, please email me at:

Joseph.M.Tracy.-ND@abc.com

Submissions are due by Monday October 8th at 9:00AM.

Please help spread the word!

Thanks,

Joe

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Just over three weeks to go.  I've helped my family set up their travel plans (giving them a map of the relevant subway lines and places from which to see the race).  I think I've covered just about everything that I can control so far.

That leaves just the things I can't control - like the weather.  Way too early for the forecast to be meaningful, but I could not resist and I looked anyway. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The weather is cooling off significantly starting this weekend in NY. Of course, that makes me worried that we will warm back up just in time for the race.

We all know that forecasts are basically garbage until 3 days prior, but we just can't help ourselves can we? I do think this far out, looking at trends is reasonable. Is it a warm period or cool period? Rainy or dry? Tells you what is more probable to happen, but seeing 55 and sunny now for the particular day doesn't really mean anything. Overall though, things look pretty average the week prior and after, so that's a good sign 

onemile

Overall though, things look pretty average the week prior and after, so that's a good sign 

I'd guess it's a sign that weather predictions that far out just give average temps for that time of year 

MohMinnesota

How big is this Race? And when do you guys usually get to the starting line? I'm really curious 

For Twin Cities Marathon, which has around 7k runners (plus 8k for the 10 mile Race), I get there an hour ahead 6:50sh,,,

I love NYC, and considering running the Race one day in the future,,,

Thanks and good luck to you all Big grin

10K: (44:33)   13.1 (1:41:48)    26.2 - TwinCities17 (3:49:07) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

How big is this Race? And when do you guys usually get to the starting line? I'm really curious 

For Twin Cities Marathon, which has around 7k runners (plus 8k for the 10 mile Race), I get there an hour ahead 6:50sh,,,

I love NYC, and considering running the Race one day in the future,,,

Thanks and good luck to you all Big grin

Roughly 50,000 runners. The wheel chairs set off early, then the elite women.  After that, the race goes off in 4 waves of about 12,000 - 13,000 runners each, with wave 1 starting at 9:50.  I'm in wave 2, which kicks off at 10:15.

I'm taking a bus to the starting area, which should get me there around 6:30.  Then I'll have to go through security, and then find a spot to rest up while waiting for my corral to open.

Thanks.

MohMinnesota

Roughly 50,000 runners. The wheel chairs set off early, then the elite women.  After that, the race goes off in 4 waves of about 12,000 - 13,000 runners each, with wave 1 starting at 9:50.  I'm in wave 2, which kicks off at 10:15.

I'm taking a bus to the starting area, which should get me there around 6:30.  Then I'll have to go through security, and then find a spot to rest up while waiting for my corral to open.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info mate! Wow that's a super late start, and it's on a Sunday? Someone could pretty much bring their breakfast to the starting line 

10K: (44:33)   13.1 (1:41:48)    26.2 - TwinCities17 (3:49:07) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks for the info mate! Wow that's a super late start, and it's on a Sunday? Someone could pretty much bring their breakfast to the starting line 

Even worse, because it's the morning after we switch back to regular time from daylight savings time, so my 10:15 start will feel like an 11:15 start.  On the bright side, arriving at 6:30 won't feel so early.