Online (or meatspace?) coaching recommendations? (Read 99 times)

I'm very good at marathon training, just not in the actual marathoning. I have fallen apart to varying degrees in ten of the eleven marathons I've run. I've run low-mileage plans, high-mileage plans, no plans, followed plans to the letter, personalized plans, kept meticulous logs, and plans where I documented nothing. Of course, the training for the one out of eleven marathons that went well was (mostly) an undocumented mess of randomness. Of course.

If my racing life were a book, I need an editor. Someone to tell me what they think is working, what isn't working, and what's missing. I'm also susceptible to major swings of what I think my potential is - sometimes I think I'm capable of a sub-2:50 on a perfect day, sometimes I think I shouldn't be racing marathons at all. I'd really like to know what someone with serious credentials who has familiarized themselves with my running history thinks.

In town would be awesome, but I haven't found any coaching services nearby. So online is probably the way for me to go.

My pre-existing biases:

Pro Lydiard (I like lots of miles, but would be willing to back it off a bit)

Pro-barefoot/minimalist (a coach wouldn't need to agree with me, just not try to sell me shoes)

Anti-gimmick (no power bracelets please)

Any suggestions? Next marathon is in June.

zonykel

RRCA has a list of coaches.

McMillan running offers coaching as well.

Training peaks has coaches (just look in the forums).

Even Jack Daniels offers coaching.

Cost varies. Just shop around.

NHLA

Keep looking for a local coach.  If there is a form issue you need someone hands on.

If you can't find one go to a running camp for vacation. There is a great one in Boone NC.

Mabe find a PT who runs. Weight lifting and core work will help you in those last 6 miles.

You may have created a mental block for 26.2.  If so set a tough PR goal for 5-10k and don't run another marathon till you reach goals.

Yeah, I'm not really looking for a cookie-cutter training plan so much as an experienced ear to bounce ideas off of (can you bounce ideas off an ear?). I mean, a marathon goal is just a number pulled out of the air, really. What my expectations should be might not be best represented by my previous race times if what's holding me back is my big baby of a brain.

GC100k

What's "meatspace"?  I'm afraid to google it.

I once googled "Love Canal" in front of a class.  I never would have imagined...

What's "meatspace"?  I'm afraid to google it.

I once googled "Love Canal" in front of a class.  I never would have imagined...

Meatspace = the physical world. At least, that's what I think it means. Now I'm scared to google it...