Marathon training plans? (Read 73 times)

Pokythesnail

hello,  I am new to this forum. Has anyone trained for a marathon on just 3 days a week?  10 years ago, I ran 2 full marathons spaced a couple years apart. I followed Hal Higdon novice training plan back then. I ran every day. I had a lot of time. Fast forward to my present life and I am now a busy mom and full time professional (though I work from home with flexibility). My son is old enough now to be left at home for a couple hours by himself. I thought I could start running early in the morning again before I take him to school and start my work day.  Over the last few years, I’ve run about 10 half marathons. Have t been actively running lately though. Would like to get back into it and train for a full.

Any advice on training for busy folks with limited time?

thanks and happy new year!

GinnyinPA

It's hard to get enough miles to really prepare for a marathon on only 3 days a week. Most of the plans that are only 3 days include a lot of cross training on the off days, which isn't a help for someone who is too busy to train. Higdon's two Novice plans are 4 days a week. They are low mileage, but they would get you to the finish line.

I agree with Ginny. If you can only manage 3 days a week, probably better to stick with half marathons. Sure a full can be done, but usually not very well. If you are able to run in the morning before school/work - any reason you can only do this 3 days and not more? The nice thing about running early morning is that there is usually nothing competing for your time, other than sleep. So you can decide for yourself how dedicated you want to be - get in the habit of going to bed earlier and getting up earlier. And why not either/both weekend days, if your son can be left home alone? I think you will be happier with how your fitness develops on at least 5-6 days.

Dave

It could probably be done by having one very long run day and a few supplemental runs. It wouldn't be competitive, but you could definitely FINISH a marathon. The long run days would be 15-25 miles, and those could be done in two workouts (like a 15 in the morning and a 10 in the afternoon). Maybe 3 weeks out from the marathon a 20 miler in one workout; it's ok to go slow and walk part of it.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20799296/run-your-best-marathon-with-less-training/

FIRST marathon training on 3 days a week. I  have a FBF who BQ'ed using the First method. Keeping training until you find the plan tht works for you. I used the MAFF plan (LHR).

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Seattle prattle

the most important thing in preparing for a marathon is weekly mileage. A long run is important, but total mileage for the week is what really prepares you most.

As far as number of days you take to do that, you decide. But I can tell you that getting in the adaquate weekly mileage in three sessions is essentially doing three long runs per week.

For what it's worth, i would never try to run a marathon on 3 days per week. Just read the message boards to understand why. Even with doing everything by the book, there's pages of things that pop up unexpectedly, go wrong, and often result in debilitating injuries.

You asked.

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20799296/run-your-best-marathon-with-less-training/

FIRST marathon training on 3 days a week. I  have a FBF who BQ'ed using the First method. Keeping training until you find the plan tht works for you. I used the MAFF plan (LHR).

This does not really apply to the OP’s question - she is asking about 3 days/week training, and this plan is 5 days/week training.

Dave

Pokythesnail

Thank you all. Come to think of it, I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t get out there more than 3 days a week in the mornings.  I think I could do 4 days during the week and at least 1 day on the weekend for a long run. I’m feeling motivated I can do this!

SMART Approach

If you can do 4-5 times per week you will do ok and I agree with Seattle that mid week miles and overall miles are very very important. The long run is important but its emphasis at times on plans can be a disaster for those who are not fit. I see these beginner type programs where a person starts a training plan over weight and has not been running and within a few months they are supposed to be out running 4-5 hours for a long run. No kiddding they breakdown. Makes no sense. Get fit before training for a marathon. Shoot for a half in summer and a marathon in the Fall. Run consistently for months before starting your training plan.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com