Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

I liked MF's point about sharing what it actually feels like, although I wasn't sure I'd be able to remember later.

Later is now, so here's my recap, as I can recall.

First half of first lap: adrenalin carries.

Remainder of first lap and all of second: hm, this is kind of difficult, but just keep pushing it

Third lap: This hurt, but kept saying to self, "Third lap is where you make or break it"

Fourth lap: Hurt as much as third, but psychologically much easier because I know I'm almost done. Failed to kick.

MTA: No splits because I didn't take any, and my paces weren't the same as MF's anyway - but I thought I could participate by sharing the feeling of my experience.

MTA2: Third & fourth lap felt that feeling that is like nausea, but I know it isn't really going to be nausea -- it is just that pain of racing (maybe the anaerobic feeling, I wonder?).

You did not post your time yesterday which was  5:26.52 so I could not comment.

I was 14 years old when I saw a junior high mile race and the winner had run a 5:37.

This was basically a Turkey Trot that the whole school had run.

I thought to myself I have never timed myself for a mile. I wonder if I can get 6 minutes?

I ended up running down my dirt road with blue jeans on and clocked a 6:37.

I thought it was okay but not great. I did not realize back then that you could train to get a faster mile.

So now 24 years later I train about 60 miles and ran a 6:23. Not much faster than young kids who don't even train.

5:26 is a nice time no doubt and I am sure you can go a bit faster than that if you trained and were not tired from high miles I fantasized that I could break 5:40 a couple years ago when I was running high miles but did not have the time to try a mile trial because I figured I was running too many miles a day to waste a hard effort like that. I wish I had tried it back then and in a way that is why I want to get close to my all time record of 5:48 (treadmill timed not official as it was 1% slope) and see if I might beat that sometime later this year.

I like the 4th lap like you. I hit the 1st part with a slight increase in speed but once I am half lap from the finish I increase more. A quarter lap from the finish I let the gas out of the tank. In almost all races I pace the 1st half and race the 2nd half. Around 1000 meters I feel the end in sight as I am 5/8 done. At 1400 meters I know I can push it to the finish as hard as I can go without fear of blowing up.

I've stayed out of this but... are you trying to make no sense?

1.  I want to get in a base before fast work

2.  I need to develop a feel for the mile pace

3.  I would like to do some 200 and 400 repeats

#2 and #3 are the opposite of #1.  why don't you just run more and be done with it. 

I have not run any 200s or 400s yet.

I have run about 60 miles and done 4 or 5 mile time trials.

Thus I have not run any fast stuff.

Ideally I would like to get in 6 weeks of higher mileage (20 plus miles per week)  before I do 200-400 meter repeats.

But I am starting to think I can run some of them at 85-90% effort without risk of injury so why not go for it?

kopid905

When are you planning on doing your next time trial?

xor

>> I would like to get in 6 weeks of higher mileage (20 plus miles per week)  before I do 200-400 meter repeats.

Ah.

Higher mileage = 20+ mpw

Again: are you going out of your way to cause cognitive dissonance and make no sense?

Edit: I've decided what it is that bothers me.  If you want to run 20 mpw and call that a base and do some intervals, have at it.  Lots of people do. It is your insistence on calling it "high mileage" or "higher mileage" that's just plain weird.  It isn't.  You can come up with a list of completely valid reasons for why it is all you have time for... or will make time for.  But shuddup about it being high(er) mileage.  It is low mileage.  It just IS.

Why is it sideways?

MF: I think you can run a pretty good mile off of 25mpw. We both know it won't be your best mile, but who runs their best mile?

I suggest something like this:

M: off

T: 1.5mi w/u, 8 x 200 fast without straining (40ish?), 1.5 c/d

W: 4mi strong and steady (8:00 pace)

Th: off

F: 6mi strong and steady (8:00 pace)

Sa: 1.5w/u, 10 x 400 @ 85, 1.5c/d

Su: 5mi easy

Good luck.

Jeff

When are you planning on doing your next time trial?

I would give it a couple weeks to my next attempt.

Thanks Jeff  for the schedule.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, yes, I agree that I could run a faster mile. I could have run a slightly faster time last night if I'd kicked -- I usually kick if I'm in a real race. And surely I'd go faster if I hadn't run so much already that day and the days before. But I didn't really care about that aspect; plus it was a spur of the moment decision in the middle of the day, after I'd done my run for the day, so that's where I was.

I wasn't trying to hit my absolutest fastest at that moment, just to do a time trial hard--and to get at least kind of in the vicinity of the fastest I could run right then, and rediscover the feeling involved.

I kind of know what the feeling of sprinting at the end is like, and it's fun, but not particularly interesting to me, so I left off the sprint finish.

(Plus I thought I'd be doing some sort of "quality" workout this eve, so that is a reason I didn't push it to the limit or kick last night.)

PS: I'm almost tempted to try Jeff's schedule for fun, except that I am accustomed to running more than that, and I have some other training runs already on my plans. But it looks interesting.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Edit: I've decided what it is that bothers me.  If you want to run 20 mpw and call that a base and do some intervals, have at it.  Lots of people do. It is your insistence on calling it "high mileage" or "higher mileage" that's just plain weird.  It isn't.  You can come up with a list of completely valid reasons for why it is all you have time for... or will make time for.  But shuddup about it being high(er) mileage.  It is low mileage.  It just IS.

I can understand why this bothers SRL, but for Non-runners, or people just taking up the sport 20 MPW is considered high mileage.

When I started running again about 5 years ago I thought 20 was high mileage.  I played games like trying to beat my PR on a 3 mile training run and running easy runs too fast. I made some progress, and when I talked to non runners I felt pretty good about my "training".  They were amazed that I could run 15-20 miles per week. 

Then I wamted to run a marathon. And I sort of trained for it.  I gradually added miles, I did real workouts, I read about training and I finished the marathon.  But somewhere during that training cycle, I became a runner.

I think what bugs me about this thread is that Mich is missing the whole point of being a runner.  The training is part of the experience.  Why cut corners? Go outside and run, slow down,  run somewhere you have never run before, find a trail to run on, get up early and go for a long run before everyone else gets up, go for a run at night, whatever. It's just running, but It's what we do, and for me, that's a lot more fulfilling than looking for shortcuts.

xor

>> for Non-runners, or people just taking up the sport 20 MPW is considered high mileage.

True true.

But we're not talking about a non-runner.

We're talking about a runner who has been posting here for several years talking to other runners.

Call it whatever you like. Have fun with it.  Get whatever you can out of the time you have available.  Just shuddup with that "high mileage" thing.

Prince of Fatness

I think what bugs me about this thread is that Mich is missing the whole point of being a runner.  The training is part of the experience.  Why cut corners? Go outside and run, slow down,  run somewhere you have never run before, find a trail to run on, get up early and go for a long run before everyone else gets up, go for a run at night, whatever. It's just running, but It's what we do, and for me, that's a lot more fulfilling than looking for shortcuts.

MF posting a not so lofty goal and trying to achieve it on minimal training is pretty much a comet topic around here.  Many have seen it before.  I remember suggesting to him that he should run more in one of the sub 20 5K threads a couple of years ago. 

I wouldn't say that this thread bothers me.  He can do whatever he wants.  If he runs a sub 6 good for him.  But it's really no big deal for a person with his potential.  The only reason that I would consider this thread useful is for entertainment value.  I really don't see myself learning much about bringing my mile time down (which I am interested in).

Not at it at all. 

Slow-smooth-fast

MF posting a not so lofty goal and trying to achieve it on minimal training is pretty much a comet topic around here.  Many have seen it before.  I remember suggesting to him that he should run more in one of the sub 20 5K threads a couple of years ago. 

I wouldn't say that this thread bothers me.  He can do whatever he wants.  If he runs a sub 6 good for him.  But it's really no big deal for a person with his potential.  The only reason that I would consider this thread useful is for entertainment value.  I really don't see myself learning much about bringing my mile time down (which I am interested in).

+1

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

mikeymike

There is no universal "true meaning" of running so being bothered that someone else does not appreciate it for the same reasons you do is a waste of energy.

Runners run

xor

I can appreciate that.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I hate to say it but will... you have to run more miles.  Over 200 per month.  Only kidding.  It's really 300 miles.  Some have to be fast.

It seems that there are lots of people getting their knickers in a twist over some guy wanting a short term goal to motivate him into training.  The fact that the advice of "run more miles"  was acknowledged by MF makes it even more entertaining when it's not followed.

As to mileage, isn't  "high mileage" is a relative term?  Are there rules saying HIGH equates to > x mpw?   If not, maybe we need a look-up table to make it official?  Runner status (beginner to elite) vs MPW?  Different tables for different goal race distances?  However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   Just run as many miles as you can.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   Just run as many miles as you can.

+6x1023

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.