Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

xor

As to mileage, isn't  "high mileage" is a relative term?  Are there rules saying HIGH equates to > x mpw?   If not, maybe we need a look-up table to make it official?  Runner status (beginner to elite) vs MPW?  Different tables for different goal race distances?  However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   Just run as many miles as you can.

It is very subjective, sure.

It is also more than 20.  It's not that I "give a crap" depending on the semantics of what "giving a crap" means (that's another thing that happens on message boards... misinterpretation of words into varying levels of emotion).

One weird thing when reading through this thread is what the mileage benchmark is.  I thought it was 35. Then it was 20.  It might also have been other stuff, I dunno.  All I know is that 20 mpw is a lot of things, but it ain't high unless you run them baked.  If 20 is what one has time for, or that's all one wants to do, yippee.  But when it gets self-interpreted as "I'm doing a lot!", well, no.  Not really.  And that's ok.

All I know is that 20 mpw is a lot of things, but it ain't high unless you run them baked. 

14 pages in and -- Winner!

I for one admit that I've grown fond of the chipper banter that MF has inspired.  Kidding.  Really.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

..  However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   Just run as many miles as you can.

I'd say, just run as many miles as you want, and are happy making time for.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   

That's certainly not going to provide any motivation to get out of bed on a cold winter morning... :-)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Never mind.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

Never mind.

I bet this kid can run a six minute mile.

he's 17 now.  so maybe.

I was wondering why it smelled like teen spirit.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

2011 - 1991 = 17?

Runners run

OK.  I guess he was 17 when taking the new picture.  I guess I'm off on my memory.  Too much loud music and other stuff back in (apparently 1991) will do that. 

xor

2011 - 1991 = 17?

The only thing that makes me feel older than realizing that Nevermind is 20 is realizing that Pulp Fiction will be 20 RealSoonNow.  (It is, actually, 17)

L Train

Things like this give me a weird perspective.  To the 20 year old kid today, Nevermind is the the same as Led Zeppelin IV was in 1991.  Or something like that.  That, more than the fact that I can barely get down my stairs in the morning, makes me feel old.

>> for Non-runners, or people just taking up the sport 20 MPW is considered high mileage.

True true.

But we're not talking about a non-runner.

We're talking about a runner who has been posting here for several years talking to other runners.

Call it whatever you like. Have fun with it.  Get whatever you can out of the time you have available.  Just shuddup with that "high mileage" thing.

You are running 70-90 miles per week for marathon training.

So if you were only training for a mile run I would imagine you would not run that many miles.

I would imagine you would run say 35 mpw tops.

But I am just guessing here.

Originally I had posted my sub 6 thread expecting that by October we might have 3 pages of posts in here with the majority of them coming from me. It is fun to read all the posts and they definately motivated me much more than if I was the only poster. I am running more miles because I want to succeed from those following and telling me I am doing it all wrong.

I could probably make this more interesting by just flooring it the opening quarter mile and trying to hold on to sub 6 pace. I could make 1/2 mile under 3 minutes but doubt I can keep it up the entire way. But I am training in my own special way to go under 6 not too fast and not too hard. I will be tempted by October to try a balls to the wall effort in the opening half though if I get enough miles in first.

Today my knee hurts so no running. It probably is hurting because I have undertrained and run too many mile time trials Shocked

It is very subjective, sure.

It is also more than 20.  It's not that I "give a crap" depending on the semantics of what "giving a crap" means (that's another thing that happens on message boards... misinterpretation of words into varying levels of emotion).

One weird thing when reading through this thread is what the mileage benchmark is.  I thought it was 35. Then it was 20.  It might also have been other stuff, I dunno.  All I know is that 20 mpw is a lot of things, but it ain't high unless you run them baked.  If 20 is what one has time for, or that's all one wants to do, yippee.  But when it gets self-interpreted as "I'm doing a lot!", well, no.  Not really.  And that's ok.

If it bothers you I meant I will run higher mileage - meaning I will run more miles. Not that 20 is high mileage.

20 miles is usually the least amount of miles I run in a week at the start of a base program.

35 is my sweet spot. I find it hard to go above that. So when I am training I will start with 20 and work up to 35 over a couple months period.

I do not consider 35 miles high mileage.

I would say 50 miles a week and above is high.

xor

You are running 70-90 miles per week for marathon training.

So if you were only training for a mile run I would imagine you would not run that many miles.

I would imagine you would run say 35 mpw tops.

But I am just guessing here.

Almost certainly.

And guess what.

I would not walk around calling 20 mpw "high mileage".  Or even 35.  It might be appropriate mileage for my goal. It might be all I've got time for.  But one thing 20 is not:  HIGH.

That's the point I was making.  Good luck. 

Edit:

>> I do not consider 35 miles high mileage.

Ok then!