Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Feeling the growl again

You are running 70-90 miles per week for marathon training.

So if you were only training for a mile run I would imagine you would not run that many miles.

I would imagine you would run say 35 mpw tops.

But I am just guessing here.

It's a bad guess.  My mile PR was run soon after running 2000 miles in 5 months....5 weeks after my marathon PR.  I had plenty of experience racing the mile at lower mileage and never came close to that time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Marylander

Things like this give me a weird perspective.  To the 20 year old kid today, Nevermind is the the same as Led Zeppelin IV was in 1991.  Or something like that.  That, more than the fact that I can barely get down my stairs in the morning, makes me feel old.

I know what you mean... I wonder how I will feel about one of these in 10 years...

stair lift

Marylander

You are running 70-90 miles per week for marathon training.

So if you were only training for a mile run I would imagine you would not run that many miles.

I would imagine you would run say 35 mpw tops.

But I am just guessing here.

The Master Run Coach (Lydiard foundation) plans have similar volume for 1500m and marathon goal distances.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

However; in the end, who really gives a crap?   

That's certainly not going to provide any motivation to get out of bed on a cold winter morning... :-)

A crap is good motivation to get out of bed.  Then you can think about running.  

There will always be someone who says you should run more miles, no matter what weekly mileage you are running (enter smart ass replies on mileage).  So, in context, I'd agree with AP correcting my statement to "... just run as many miles as you want, and are happy making time for."   Of course, with does not apply to those with training plan OCD - it says 60 this week, must run exactly 60.

To MF:  keep on keeping on. 

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Mr Play

...2000 miles in 5 months....

Good lord man!

That is all.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I know what you mean... I wonder how I will feel about one of these in 10 years...

stair lift

Once you get a good measurement on the distance up the stairs, you don't even need a GPS watch to keep track of your mileage on that baby.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

But I am training in my own special way ...

Ding Ding Ding....

Slow-smooth-fast

I think we all know that more miles is the key. This has been said many times and i am a great believer of it. when I run more I dont even worry about speed, I just go out and run easy. Evidently I dont run half as much as many of you guys but i do my bit.

I would like to do more but it isnt always practical - after all at the moment I sometimes have to go out at silly o'clock to get my miles in.

I find that an accumulation of easy miles improves my speed no end. I am only now just starting to add a tempo and fartlek to help push things on a little but I am certainly in no rush as I have learnt that impatience has its consequences.  I know that in a few months down the line I will probably be able to scoff at a 6min mile but that will only be because I will have so much confidence in my aerobic ability to withstand the pace with little thought. Think of the forest!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

The references to "high" mileage and Nirvana reminded me of a high school teammate.  Think of the school rival they showed at the beginning of the Roger Bannister movie.  This guy never trained.  He smoked (multiple substances).  If there was a distance run he was cutting it.  At times he would start a 7 miler, sit in the woods for half an hour, and run about 2 miles total.  He showed up at the starting line for more than one race chewing crackers and once with half a snicker's bar hanging out of his mouth, or he was finishing a coke and chucking the can to the infield.  Yet the dude ran 2:02 in the 800m, 4:37 in the mile, and broke 17 for 5K.  I could hardly ever beat him and it drove me nuts.  There's always someone like that whose "sweet spot" could be 10 miles per week.  Had this guy trained as seriously as most of us, he would have broken 4 minutes, but unfortunately for our team he was the laziest runner I ever met.  But he is a natural athlete.  The rest of us have to work to more or less a degree.  Some of us have to work harder than others at different distances to get to the same level. 

Michigan-

It is an interesting experiment.  I'd say your approach is unorthodox and suboptimal, but that's different from saying its stupid (just to be clear)

It is apparent to me that if you are negative splitting you can go a little faster with no other changes.  However if you cannot run the first 800 in under 3 then you are not going to run the 2nd 800 in under 3.  You will need more strength.  The elite runner splits may go 61, 61, 60, 53 because they are strong enough to run 3:45-3:50 if they wanted to at an even pace.  Most of us mortals running an optimal race for time will need to run close to even splits, or be strong enough to hit 800 in 2:55-2:57 (or even faster) and hang on.  If you split 3:09 and then 2:50 for a 5:59, the first thing I'd say is that you could run 5:45 right now.

The easiest path to more strength is more miles.  I'm not saying it can't be done on less mileage/more intensity, but the chances of it are lower, it will be harder, and your injury risk goes up.  I also didn't think I would be able to run my best mile races on "so many miles" (60/week) and so little intensity, but it happened.  I was not training for a marathon with 60-70/week - I was racing 3000/5000 with some 1 miles thrown in.  And since I haven't been able to even sniff that level since - I've cracked 40 miles per week a few times but not consistently - I certainly understand the lack of time factor.  BUT I have lowered my expectations accordingly.

For all -

"a lot of miles" is always 5+ more miles than you usually do in a week, and "not a lot" is 5+ miles less than you usually do in a week.  So for me right now 40 would be a lot, but at other times it was less than my average.  Having trouble staying above 20 right now, which I used to do by the end of the 2nd day out of 7.  I'm sure there are people out there who can crack 3 hours in the marathon on 35 miles per week, but I would say they'd have a much better chance of doing so if they are running 70-90, or maybe if they did that their 2:59 becomes 2:29.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

That guy gives a pretty good interview.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Things like this give me a weird perspective.  To the 20 year old kid today, Nevermind is the the same as Led Zeppelin IV was in 1991.  Or something like that.  That, more than the fact that I can barely get down my stairs in the morning, makes me feel old.

You want to feel old?  The clerk in this robbery didn't know who Gumby was and described him as a "green Sponge Bob Square Pants".

http://news.yahoo.com/gumby-calls-robbery-clerk-thinks-joke-145954412.html

I want a step by step analysis about how a runner gets his or her times down to break a time goal.

Usually on these boards a poster will post "I broke 6 minutes in a mile! I smashed it with a 5:45 today"

We will see what time I can muster today but I think those who are poo-pooing my effort thus far are helping to motivate me.

Maybe they are using reverse psychology and I just don't know it?

I have little running talents and I couldn't break 6 min for a mile and 21 min for a 5k for several years of low miles ~40/week and lots of speed work. When I just upped my miles a bit, I broke 6 min, first time on the road, just 1 hour after an 8 k race, squeezed in with a 5:59. Then I have been running in the 5:40's, even in the middle of a 90 mile week

>> for Non-runners, or people just taking up the sport 20 MPW is considered high mileage.

True true.

But we're not talking about a non-runner.

We're talking about a runner who has been posting here for several years talking to other runners.

Call it whatever you like. Have fun with it.  Get whatever you can out of the time you have available.  Just shuddup with that "high mileage" thing.

Absolutely, and just a couple of years ago, when MF was not running ultra low mileage like what he is doing currently, he was able to break 20 for a 5k. So he is no novice