Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

RootieKazootie

Hey Mich, Good luck with the sub 6. I'd join your quest but i've been out for 3 months and i'm just getting back

to some faster stuff after averaging 25mpw last month. That must put me right in the firing line too, so i wouldn't

want to talk about it in public before i up my miles! I don't have your ability to turn negatives to positives. And

with the off topic stuff, pictures and 'all our yester-years' it's been hard going so i won't be here much, but i'm

Rooting for you. Bag that sub 6 and i'll hopefully see you back in the 5k thread.

RootieKazootie

For srlopez, Mikeymike and those 'talking to/banging their head off a brick wall'.

I don't understand the negativity. You've been posting in his threads long enough to be well aware that Mich

is his own man. He pretty much does his own thing. Given the choice i'd rather be that than a headbanger. Stop a

moment, pool your remaining braincells, and realize that the only sensible goal for a guy getting back into his running

on low mileage is a modest goal.

For now he's prepared to do 20mpw, so calling for more is irrelevant. Don't you think he's aware of the benefit

of more miles? He's not trying to make the Olympic Team. It's a short term goal, a stepping-stone. He at no point

suggests his is optimal training, or asked for advice on such.

What's the real issue here? I doubt you'd care if there was no goal or thread. Just some guy running 20mpw.

You seem to resent that he dare to achieve something so god damn achievable - and to talk about it. There you are

grinding out the miles, meanwhiles there's this guy enthused about running, but only 20mpw? Often indoors, on a

treadmill? In Michigan?! To top it off, there's an imminent 'Goal Achieved' on the horizon. He'll be one happy MF,

when some peoples target is 7 years and counting. That's just not fair man.

And people are supporting this guy? He's just not suffering enough to be a runner like us. Despite years at

the Whispering Wall, he still won't heed The Word Of Mikey. So you're reduced to making snide comments. You

ridecule, but can't drag yourself away from his threads.

Be nice to Michigan Flyer. You need him to feel superior. He makes you feel like Salazar, where in reality

you guys are dozen-a-dimers. Break 18 for 5K and you are The Knowledge. But for running knowledge and ability,

compared to elites, we're all in the same place. A million miles away.

Mikey, whlle i'm at it, i have serious doubts re the legitimacy of your weekly mileage. I've made some

calculations and you can't possibly do what you claim to when you spend so much time on your high horse.

Unless you buy your shoes in fours.

For srlopez, Mikeymike and those 'talking to/banging their head off a brick wall'.

I don't understand the negativity. You've been posting in his threads long enough to be well aware that Mich

is his own man. He pretty much does his own thing. Given the choice i'd rather be that than a headbanger. Stop a

moment, pool your remaining braincells, and realize that the only sensible goal for a guy getting back into his running

on low mileage is a modest goal.

For now he's prepared to do 20mpw, so calling for more is irrelevant. Don't you think he's aware of the benefit

of more miles? He's not trying to make the Olympic Team. It's a short term goal, a stepping-stone. He at no point

suggests his is optimal training, or asked for advice on such.

Eh, I got the impression he is aware of it; but didn't/doesn't understand quite how significantly running higher mileage can improve and affect times for most people. 

While I honestly haven't seen tons of actual negativity, and I think most everyone here does want him to succeed in his goal, I think it stems from the fact that many people were feeling like MF was calling his training super intense or high mileage and that was understandably annoying or confusing for some of the posters that are doing a significantly greater amount of training.

What's the real issue here? I doubt you'd care if there was no goal or thread. Just some guy running 20mpw.

You seem to resent that he dare to achieve something so god damn achievable - and to talk about it. There you are

grinding out the miles, meanwhiles there's this guy enthused about running, but only 20mpw? Often indoors, on a

treadmill? In Michigan?! To top it off, there's an imminent 'Goal Achieved' on the horizon. He'll be one happy MF,

when some peoples target is 7 years and counting. That's just not fair man.

No.

Nobody here is upset that he is making progress, enjoying running, or progressing towards his goals.  That's awesome!

Any possible "resentment" was stemming from the initial confusion about why he was running a relatively low weekly mileage, and that fact that he initially sounded like he was trying to claim that he was putting in tons of training/high mileage

And people are supporting this guy? He's just not suffering enough to be a runner like us. Despite years at

the Whispering Wall, he still won't heed The Word Of Mikey. So you're reduced to making snide comments. You

ridecule, but can't drag yourself away from his threads.

Be nice to Michigan Flyer. You need him to feel superior. He makes you feel like Salazar, where in reality

you guys are dozen-a-dimers. Break 18 for 5K and you are The Knowledge. But for running knowledge and ability,

compared to elites, we're all in the same place. A million miles away.

Mikey, whlle i'm at it, i have serious doubts re the legitimacy of your weekly mileage. I've made some

calculations and you can't possibly do what you claim to when you spend so much time on your high horse.

Wtf are you talking about?

Good god man, get a grip. Nobody here running 16/17/18/19 minutes for a 5K thinks they are special, uniquely talented, or a master coach/running guru. 

However, its fair to say that the people that do have those times and have been training hard for many years probably do have an interest in running and make some effort to learn about it, and do likely have greater than average insight on what worked for them to improve their running.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

xor

>> Just some guy running 20mpw. You seem to resent that he dare to achieve something so god damn achievable - and to talk about it.

No.  You are incorrect.  But ok.

My participation in this thread is rooted in one specific thing: calling 20 mpw "high".  That's it and that's all.  I won't re-cover that, nor should I have to.  But in no way do I 'resent' what others accomplish.  That's just silly.

Oooh.  Good one.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DLJ

I disagree.  At Mich's current level of training (i.e, zero) just running a mile all out once a week will yield some performance benefit.  Of course this will plateau quickly and after a few weeks he will stop seeing progress and either level out or start to regress unless he actually trains.

As for the whole process thing, this is sort of Mich's MO--set a modest goal and see how little training he can do and still accomplish it.  It's sort of interesting in a way.

Hey Rootie Kooztie,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, mostly because it is fascinating (in a weird slow motion train wreck kind of fashion) but have avoided posting till now, because it seems like most of what needs to be said has been said. I hope that Mich achieves his goal, in fact I think everyone is happy to encourage all runners of all levels of skill, particularly Mikey. I mean have a look at his post from page 2 - he has summed up your viewpoint 20+ pages ago and it goes something like this - Mich has set  a modest goal, which he will achieve quickly off a minimum amount of training, he has even provided some encouragement, i.e. running 5-10mpw will yield some benefit but it will quickly plateau.

However, Mich has essentially asked for some advice from more experienced runners (not experts just some experience) on how to achieve his goal. The resounding message has been - run more miles. I suspect it has been frustrating to have this acknowledged as the best option and then flagrantly ignored and to continue on in the same fashion (much like the patient I talk to with emphysema who tells me that they are short of breath and I suggest maybe they stop smoking, which they agree would help and then I see them smoking the next day - frustrating but what I have come to realize, is what others have come to realize on this thread, I am not going to die of smoking, just as other runners are not going to be affected by MIch's lack of mileage).

The reason I am posting this morning is to say, Mich, good luck with your goal I am hoping that you smash it in the near future with whatever mileage you choose. But seriously RootieKooztie, what is with the venomous personal attacks on Mikey, someone who seems like a good bloke and has always provided reasonable advice and plenty of encouragement. He has never claimed to be a professional runner, but does have years of experience, and instead of bagging him out for no valid reason, maybe you should simply encourage MIch and if you wanted to be really helpful in supporting him achieve his goal also encourage him to listen to the sensible advice provided - run more miles.

L Train

mikey has a horse now? 

mikey has a horse now? 

No, thankfully.  My dog is costing me enough in vet bills as it is.

I suspect Shady Fellow has a new puppet.  How quaint.

Runners run

I don't think they'd care to apply that much force.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Come on now.

(did I do it right?)

xor

Thank you Nader.  I stand corrected.  I meant to say that Michigan Flyer is the Puppeteer!  And you are dancing.  Know what I mean.

__

Shady Fellow®

And to think... all this never would have happened if it wasn't for Al 'Pinocchio' Gore inventing the Internet.  Thanks, Al!

Definitely worth coming back a week later to update your post.  Yes.

on low mileage is a modest goal.....

I don't think anyone is attacking MF or even negative about this.  Just like many others, this thread has been entertaining for me as well.  I think most people really would hope MF would succeed.

However, everybody knows, hopefully MF himself, that if MF can spend some of the time he is currently strategizing about the way to go sub 6 and use it to just run as much as he can, he will get sub 6 in no time, given his talent (which is much better than me).

Sub 6 for MF should be really easy, if he just tries.

xhristopher

From all the drama I understood you were a low mileage MF, MF. By that I guessed you ran 2-4 days a week. Having just peeked at your log I see you've been running 5-7 days a week for the last month but here's what I don't understand. You actually lace em up to go out for 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 mile runs? Ok then. Here's a photo of Tom Brady.

xor

I thought at first that they were sprints or something.

Nope.  0.4 mile easy runs.

Hey, I logged a couple of those last week. Injury tests. And I was desperate to have something on my log other than ellipitical. They gave me hope.

And for MF, you might consider adding some notes to your runs. Not just to entertain the stalkers, but seriously when you want to look back at how/why you did something, it can help.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes