Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Why is it sideways?

I think you can safely run 20 miles / week if you don't run them too fast.

I agree with this. You don't need to be so cautious in building miles, MF. In fact, I think your could jump to 30mpw next week if you felt like it, and took it easy, especially since you have a background and you're not overweight.

Are you time-trialing this week, MF?

I agree with this. You don't need to be so cautious in building miles, MF. In fact, I think your could jump to 30mpw next week if you felt like it, and took it easy, especially since you have a background and you're not overweight.

Are you time-trialing this week, MF?

MF may be able to jump to 20+ or even 30 miles but only if he cuts the time trails and other speed work for a few weeks.  Upping the miles and not lowering the intensity may be a bit challenging.  So, it is better to up the miles first and then slowly put some faster running back in.

I was running about 20 mpw in March- May then I took a trip to Disney World and kind of fell out of the habit of running.

Once you get into or out of the running habit it is hard to change your ways.

Geez, how long was your trip to Disney?

Anyway, feels like you could use a little inspiration. So here's this: Contentment 

I like Fam, mostly because he trains in my college town, and has some pretty cool running community involvement. Anyway, that post is a bit over the top, but still pretty cool, and describes what a raced mile is supposed to feel like from someone who does it pretty quick. So, hope you enjoy.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Anyway, feels like you could use a little inspiration. So here's this: Contentment 

Huh.  That's kind of the polar opposite of my philosophy, or personality.  You oughta post that as a separate thread.

It's certainly on the far right of the intensity scale, and I'm not anywhere near that kind of commitment or attitude - but still, it's hard not to get a little fired up when reading it (I find).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's certainly on the far right of the intensity scale, and I'm not anywhere near that kind of commitment or attitude - but still, it's hard not to get a little fired up when reading it (I find).

Yeah, I understand where he's coming from, but I'm very content with my running.  I'm thrilled as I see improvement.  I'm just not driven like he is.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm not sure I'm even in the same sport as he.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

What happens when he's 70? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

MF or Fam?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MoBramExam

Age-graded, he only has to run a 5:43 mile to be world class. 

Fam.

I respect what he's trying to convey. You have to respect the person who goes into the depth of his being, always scratching for more.  Besides, when he's 70 he'll find another way to be happily unhappy.

MTA: Death and Demons.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Everybody wants the million dollars but most aren't willing to put in the million miles to get there.

—@MikeTyson via Twitter

I am running more easy stuff recently as my knee still feels like it has arthritis when I run on concrete.

I am running around 9:40 per mile pace or slower. I just hope I don't lose the feel of the fast pace and get lazy as

I try to get a little endurance.

I think I was initially scared that a 6 minute mile is equivalent to a 20:47 5k race.

But now I believe that I have the speed to go sub 6 even if I am not in sub 21 shape for the 5k distance.

The key will be getting to 1200 meters in around 4:33.

I am quite certain I can run a sub 3 half mile if I raced it today so I just need to work on getting to 3 laps with a little left in the tank.

I have surpassed August mileage totals as of yesterday (I ran 42 and change in August) and am around 45 miles for September now.

For the year around 460 miles. With a little luck I can hit 20 miles this week for the 1st time since April.

I believe my next time trial is important to my confidence. I will want to be around 6:15 or below to show I am progressing.

The 6:23 I ran a couple weeks ago had the disadvantage of not knowing what my speed would be like outdoors so I started too slow at 1:38 for lap 1. I think I can try to get that to 1:35 or below whenever my next effort is and try to negative split from there. I will not try for sub 6 until I know I am close enough to run hard without blowing up. I had hoped to run a time trial this past weekend but my knee pain made me think twice.

I still have 41 days to go to reach my goal.

good luck MF. 

I hope to be in a position to do track work next year.  I'm on the injury recovery trail.  I'm setting my long term goal at sub-5 for 1500 meters.  Step 1 is getting in the running routine and building a moderate base while staying heealthy and dropping 15 pounds to get me down to about 200.  That Step's going to take all fall and winter.  Step 2 I guess would be a sub-6 mile when I start some track work in spring.   

There are not very many goal threads on this site for races like a 1 mile.  So I'll participate as best I can for you. 

I think you're going to find it harder and harder to accomplish goals as you pass 40 if you think in terms of training for a few months and taking time off after that.  You don't have to quit running when you get older... you'll only become old when you quit running.  Yes, you do not need to be a 20:47 5k guy to run sub-6.  There are plenty of people who could not run a sub-21 5k but can easily run sub-6 for a mile.  They have speed and have been training as an 800 meter runner.  But those predictors don't favor you in these terms as you pass 40.