Tender shin bones? (Read 64 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For whatever reason, this season my shin bone seems to be ultra tender after runs.  During runs there is no particular feeling.  However, afterwards the bone, midway up my shin, is very tender to the touch.  Neither the top third, nor bottom third are tender.  While both legs experience this, my right seems more tender.

I've had shin-splints in the past, and this is different.  The discomfort is not on the fascia to the side of the bone.  It's actually the bone itself (which of course, doesn't make a lot of sense, since "bones" can't really be tender . . . can they?).

The discomfort is mostly ignorable, but still makes me wonder.  Occasionally, I've applied ice, which certainly makes it feel better.

Anyone have similar experience?  Anyone know what's up?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

SMART Approach

Has your training changed this summer or anything else? Volume? Shoes? Strength work? I would be very aware. You have a stress response or anterior shin splint.  The anterior shin splint (with repeated progressive stress) can turn into the dreaded black line stress fracture that you don't want. I am not trying to scare you but try to figure out the cause. This is how you treat.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

first thing that comes to mind is a stress fracture...probably worth it to get it checked out

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks for the points to consider, folks.

As for training, I've (almost) doubled my effective weekly mileage since March (22mpw to 38mpw).   My log is public, should you be interested in more specifics.  A year ago I was around 35mph.  I am heavier, though, by about 15lbs, so that's worth considering.  Shoes are new and same model.  Terrain is the same (paved / flat).  Strength work is the same (none).  Speed of workouts is almost all "easy" runs, with very few AHR/Fartlek's mixed in.

Last night there was a newish symptom: the shin ached in the evening (no run that day) to the point where I had trouble falling asleep, so iced it in bed.

Anterior shin splint -> stress fracture sounds worrisome and maybe fits.  I did "the jump test" (old nurse triage trick, where you jump on the leg with the stress-fracture, and if you get a jolt of pain: yep).  No pain.  So, at least not a stress fracture yet.

I'll look online for Anterior shin splint recommendations (assuming there wasn't more to follow from "This is how you treat").  Thanks for the pointer.

SMART Approach

If cause is overtraining....you cut back. But, your tissues need to be stronger. Hip glute work affect evrything below. Weakness there can shift pelvis which affects knees, shin, foot strike etc. It all starts in hips. Standing and one leg strength work is the ticket. I would also add calf work standing and standing with knees slightly bent. Dorsiflexion exercise are key as well using bands and cables to support shin muscles. You may need a week off running to regroup and then give yourself a month of easier milleage while strengthening. I would rather you take a 15 min walk than ice which will delay the recovery process. Your discomfort is from congestion at injury site irritating nerves. . Movement will clear the congestion.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Thanks, TChuck.  Your suggestions sound pretty helpful.  I'll give a few a try.  Really appreciate your responses.

Still kicking

I think some folks are just genetically screwed. I've been a competitive adult athlete for 40 years, and have had tender shins for 40 years. Even growing up, playing sports, I had terrible shin splints. At 24 it progressed into a stress fracture, and I stopped running, and competed as a cyclist for 2 years. My shin healed, but never stopped being tender. Even during periods I was strong and in the best shape of my life, with no injuries... if I bumped my shins into something, or dropped a wrench on them... I would go through the roof. After marathons and ultras, my shins are hyper tender for weeks, and often keep me awake at night. I've tried every remedy, every stretch, every strength move, every massage technique, every form of rollers, supplements, shoes, insoles, different drops, stairs, gadgets, whatever, etc, etc. I'm going to be 60 later this year, and my shins are still tender, I still get shin splints, and after hard efforts and races, they are still terribly tender. They still ache at night, even after time off. In fact I can still feel the area of the stress fracture, 36 years later, and use it's sensitivity as a indicator that I'm pushing too hard. I'm tall, lean, and have bowed legs. I've long since given up finding a cure, and have accepted the fact that if I'm going to be active, my shins are going to be tender.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

morphex

I saw some compression leggings at a sports store the other day. From what I gather - they can help performance during training, restitution etc.

I had problems with my right leg for a long time, but I do plenty of different strength exercises, running, swimming, cycling, kicking and punching a punching bag - and it isn't a persistent problem anymore. Different parts of the body hurt after a good exertion.

And if some part hurts - I stretch much more than normal.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I'd start here to understand the biology of what you're up against.

Shin splint issues are one of too much forward lean in posture.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/0f3ec1d851f945c986d24b15a7c4355e/0?pgctx=0EezD0E6jggYqoWzXxMEhU47W3

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Still kicking

I was a lean back heal slammer for most of my early career, when my shins were at their worst. It wasn't until I got into lower drop shoes, and mid to toe striking, and moved forward over my CG, that I got any kind of relief to the shin problems. So from my personal experience, and it's the only thing I really care about, this Sport Jester dude has it backwards.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Actually you prove my point. I stated that he's leaning too far forward (hence the overpronation) and he needed to bring his bodyweight backwards to reduce the pain. You told him rather than lean backwards, to lift the heel with a mid or forefoot landing. Your suggestion demands the alteration to bring the heel off the ground to achieve the same angle reduction at the ankle as I stated in goal.

One could say, same difference...

However, yes your suggestion does work to alleviate the pain. The question for the OP is if his goal is to run with greater comfort or higher speed?

Your answer is based upon improving comfort at the sacrifice of speed. A midfoot or forefoot landing reduces stride length. So your energy cost per mile skyrockets due to the increase of steps per mile your suggestion requires as a result and the muscle firing increase that demands. Science says the 180 step per minute crap your reply was based upon doesn't hold up under clinical scrutiny.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16195026

To run as economically as one can, requires utilization of a heel strike landing. Midfoot and forefoot landing require six firings of the calf muscle in forward locomotion per gait cycle. A heel strike runner only has two firing of one's calf muscle per gait cycle. Which would you choose?

Does a track runner need their heels on the ground to reach top speed? No, of course not. But speed oriented mechanics doesn't work well with running distance events with maximum economy as one's goal. 

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Still kicking

Who said anything about speed? I'm 60, and no longer interested in speed. It's about fitness and longevity now. I've already proven all I need to, got my PR's, podiums, and state record book honor roll in 7 distances. Also running on military teams for 7 years. Glory days are over. Now it's about life style, health, less impact, pain management, slowing the decline, and keep moving forward. It's human nature to keep doing what doesn't hurt, and stop doing what does. To be forced to regress into the form that gave me fast times, but more pain, would make me quit altogether.