TMI: Long runs messin' with my innards (Read 857 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I the only one who gets intestinal "issues" after long runs? I talked to Eryn and we think maybe it's more of a heat issue than the long run, per se (she has similar problems during the warmer months). By the end of this AM's run I was overheating and my bowels felt a bit like they were starting to "liquify" and cramp (ie good thing I was close to home, ahem). I've noticed for the last few months that my long runs leave me pretty gassy and uncomfortable for the bulk of the afternoon/evening. Am I the only one? Is this a sign of a problem, or just something I can pretty much ignore? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have that issue as well. It usually shows up an hour or two after my run (sometimes at the end of run). I also find that I start feeling nausous around the same time too. I'm thinking it has to do with electrolite balance. When I ran my first half marathon I had WAY too many gels (only race before was marathon and was still real new to running). Needless to say not only was I crampy for the last quarter of the race, but the rest of the day and night. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO sick (major runs and feeling icky)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Am I the only one? Is this a sign of a problem, or just something I can pretty much ignore?
        You're not the only one by a longshot. I think you can ignore it (although those around you might not be able to Clowning around )

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No problem. I always empty before my long runs. It is like a reflex now.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No problem. I always empty before my long runs. It is like a reflex now.
            Oh I did that...coffee is magic. But (and here comes major TMI) I'm still crappin' lettuce from last night! Tongue My intestines/bowels are making horrible noises right now. I had errands I needed to run this afternoon, but I'm not daring leave home right now. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Runners run

Um. Isn't it obvious?
                I have to agree that is a possibility! BTW I did away with gels due to thinking that!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Marathonmanleto

I think it sort of goes with the territory. I ain't been right since I started this training gig. Another one of the many things we runners must deal with--woohoo...I have been taking probiotics, though. They seem to have helped.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Um. Isn't it obvious?
                    Nah, I've had this issue for just a few months. I think it's the heat, since I'd used gels in cooler weather many times without any issue. I've been having this problem after my long runs most of the Summer. The only other suspect might be Ovaltine and/or milk. I usually will make a big glass of Ovaltine and milk after long runs...so maybe there's some sensitivity there? I have Endurox R4, so I may go back to that after my next long run, just for comparison (though it's not supposed to be at all hot next week). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have been taking probiotics, though. They seem to have helped.
                      Just yogurt, or some sort of supplement?

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

supplement--2 tablets daily. Aphlidophilus--is the active culture. same stuff that's in yogurt. Just more of it. Kind of like Ridx for your body.

Marathonmanleto

Hey Kirsten--missed you last weekend at the Marshall Run in Newaygo.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Kirsten--missed you last weekend at the Marshall Run in Newaygo.
                            I really thought about that race and even was through Newaygo last Mon. on my way out to do some photography work for Eryn/backroadrunner. The past couple of weekends have been so crazy busy, so no time for any races. I'm gonna keep that one in mind for next year, though. I'd think a race in Newaygo would be really nice. Such a beautiful little town and not too far away. As for my bowels, they appear to be relatively normal... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I find it amazing how the "issue" arises either (a) at the halfway point of the run or (b) during the most public part of the run where there are no woods or porta-potties to be found. Also amazing how disciplined I can be for multiple miles, but when I get within a block of the house I better have a good kick and an unlocked door because all bets are off! Big grin

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! Luckily I tend to run into problems pretty close to home...mostly because my runs seem to start when it's cool and shady, but pretty unrelenting sun near my house. Overheating really seems to be the main culprit for me, regardless of how much water/Gatorade I drink. I don't know how people can run for many miles and nothing to drink. Lucky bastards? Or maybe they don't sweat much. I can easily lose 3-5#s on a long run when it's warmer than 70, even ingesting 40 or more oz. of water or sports drink. k

~ Sarah Kay