Stretching (Read 977 times)

beep beep!

I read somewhere that you should not stretch before you run. Is this true and if so why? I just started running a couple of weeks ago and I have been stretching before and after running... haven't had any problems, but haven't been running that far either. Thanks!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
      I always used to stretch before and after because that's what I always heard to do. someone on another forum said you didn't have to stretch, so I stopped bothering, and I seem to be unaffected by not doing it. I don't know which one is medically better though, just I personally didn't notice any difference.
        Stretching a cold muscle can cause damage and most runners who stretch, warm up a bit before they do it. I'll take it one step farther and suggest that you not stretch at all. I used to be an avid stretcher, but gave it up after experiencing numerous minor muscle strains. Since giving it up three years ago I have had zero muscle injuries. That's not to say I just go out and run, the stretch has been replaced with a thorough warm-up before every run. This generally consists of five minutes of walking followed by a mile or so of easy running. At that point my muscles are warm and loose enough that I can run without fear of injury. Stretching is a highly controversial subject. To find out what works best for you, you'll just need to get more running experience and try both options. Tom
          I don't stretch cold as you have probably figured out; it may be somewhat cumbersome and feel time consuming but a little 10 minute run and maybe get your HR over 100 and then employ some stretches, I like stretching the hamstrings especially for long runs and quads for short runs or intervals. I always stretch my neck and my arms and shoulders on long runs also. I don't though get into hard runners stretches or get on the ground; all stretches can be done standing up with maybe a pole for assistance.
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I do a bit of stretching before running (as well as a 5 minute warmup walk). I'm a bigger fan of the post run stretch after my 5 minute cooldown walk. As well, I like doing yoga as one of my cross training activities. It's great for helping stretch out well on non-running days.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

As others have said, you shouldn't stretch a cold muscle. A better approach would be an active warm up. This takes the target muscles, slowly, through the active range of movement that they will experience during the workout. IMO, the more intense of a workout you have planned, the more thoroughly you should warm up beforehand. If you're about to go run a 100m sprint then you need a lot more warm up than if you're going out to do a nice recovery run. If you are determined to stretch before your workout then make sure you've got your heart rate up and have broken a sweat before you do it. The other big downfall I see to stretching is that the average person, and a large part of the internet, has no idea how to stretch properly. I see people that bounce or perform stretches that compromise other systems. I would say better to not stretch than do it wrong. I stretch after my runs because I'm trying to rehab a naturally tight/short hammy but for most people I think a good cool down and proper recovery workouts might be enough.
              2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Member Since 2008

I used to stretch before every run, usually 15 to twenty minutes prior. About a month ago I just started walking briskly ten minutes before my run and about ten minutes after my run. During the walks, I do periods of high knees, leg kicks and duck walks. I feel that alot of my injuries (pains) have gone away. Before I was always battling something. this last month all has bee good.
                xor

a large part of the internet, has no idea how to stretch properly.
                  No way, man. The Internet is quite bendy.

No way, man. The Internet is quite bendy.
                    I shouldn't complain. Just this weekend the internet "taught" me how to apply paint to my interior walls in such a way that caused all the paint under it to bubble up and peel off. I'm trying to convince my wife that it's stylish. It must be stylish, right? I mean, the internet...wrong...can't...I need to go curl up and cry.
                    2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Old, Slow, Happy

I used to stretch before every run, usually 15 to twenty minutes prior. About a month ago I just started walking briskly ten minutes before my run and about ten minutes after my run. During the walks, I do periods of high knees, leg kicks and duck walks. I feel that alot of my injuries (pains) have gone away. Before I was always battling something. this last month all has bee good.
                      I always stretch a little before I run and a lot when I'm done. I'm gonna try this for my pre-run. Somehow it makes sense to me.
                        Personally, I have been back and forth on this subject....but what I have found is that if I stretch too much before I start running, I chance pulling a muscle. I have been running (for a while) without stretching, but now that I am at 20+ MPW, I am finding my muscles are tight and sore quite often, so I have started stretching again. But I am going about it differently this time in that I got a basic YOGA book that has a lot of good exercises that we runners might not think of, but are really good -- and also there are a number of principles to stretching (or doing YOGA) that you can read about and learn....things like how to not over stretch (which is what I think most runners do) and end up getting hurt. Now I simply stretch just to the point where I can feel the pull and the back off a little....so I am less vigorous with my stretching and it really seems to be helping me with my flexibility (got this from my YOGA book). I am currently working on a specific stretching routine that I am inventing or getting from various sources(Yoga book - internet articles and Runners stretches) - but geared to do in the evenings - later at night a couple of hrs after my run. It's a Yoga/runners stretching combination that I am designing to use for my personal flexibility but related directly to my running. And so far it seems to be helping me quite a lot....NOW, I have only been doing it for a couple of months...so the jury is still out...still in the infancy stages but I'm getting pretty good stretching program together (for the first time in 20 years). My basic thought is that most of us runners don't know what we are doing when we stretch so we try the stuff our old football coaches taught us, and we stretch to the point where we hurt ourselves - and then we blame stretching. But I think the culprit is really our lack of knowledge and technique.....(least that's my 2 cents)...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Stretching damages your muscles. (Generally, this is a good thing...they repair themselves stronger than before.) If you stretch before a race or a workout, though, then your muscles won't be in the optimal shape to perform. The best way to warm up a muscle is to do dynamic types of stretches in short bursts that mimic what you are going to ask your muscles to do, such as post-warmup striders/high knees/butt kicks etc. Stretching after your run will help with the flexibility, although the latest research is conflicting about whether it is worth it or not. Greg Knapton recently spoke about this stuff at the Maine XC clinic, if you are interested in reading my notes about it: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/08/25/xc-clinic-injury-prevention.html

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I run slow for about 10 minutes then do a light stretch prior to my workout with a more serious stretch when I am done with the run.

A lot of people I know don't strectch before a run. However like many before me have said, don't strecch a cold muscle. i walk a half mile frist, then stretch, I absolutely believe in this pratice and to others who I have offered this advice and tried it, they loved it. To each their own, but I'm a firm beleiver in warm-up. then strectch, then run and then stretch again. LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

My Hero

I read somewhere that you should not stretch before you run. Is this true and if so why?
                                To follow is a quote from Stu Mittleman in his book "Slow Burn." Actually, stretching may be a misnomer. You're not stretching a muscle; you're releasing tension to increase the range of motion around a particular joint. A tight muscle doesn't need to be stretched; it need s to be relaxed. Personally, I've never "stretched" before a run. I'm fortunate to have a swimming pool that I can immediately jump in when I get done with a run. In about 4 feet of water I will do some "high knees" that seems to remove all the tightness from the run.