Who Wears Their Shoes Out Quicker? (Read 254 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I bought two pairs of training shoes earlier this year - easy run shoes in March and my long run shoes in February, and they were used during marathon training. Over the last few weeks I have been noticing aches and tightness in my lower legs, I went ahead and retired my LR shoes at around 410 miles a couple weeks ago and my easy run shoes at 400 miles. I was noticing those aches and pains much more so during my runs in those shoes so I bought a new pair and immediately noticed the difference, especially around the top that surrounds my ankles. I am an over-pronator by the way.

So I am just wondering, do certain runners wear out shoes much more than others?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

My personal experience: for me it looks like it depends on the shoe and on the surface on which I run. I have 1800 km on my Nike Lunar Eclipse's and it doesn't look like they are giving out soon. I use them only for TM runs. And I had to retire my outside Nike Pegasus 29 and 30's at 1000 km each.

running metalhead

I suppose heavier runners.

I have some pairs from 2011 three pairs already over the 1000 mile mark and I am still using them.

Of course, my idea of "wearing out" is either holes in the soles (almost there with one pair of NB MT10) or the upper in such state that my toes are visible (almost there with 2 more pairs).

My weight is between 71 kg and 69 kg (some 149 pounds if I recall it right) and I have a fairly good running form, never injured... well, I broke a toe on a root but continued training and racing, I'm not the kind of guy who stops for such an insignificant nuisance. 

In any case, "wearing out" or your capacity to train with a determined pair of shoes depends greatly on your way of training and your anatomy: Training is literally adapting your body to a given pattern of movement and the response to changes has to vary widely; Some can cope with more change and some can feel uncomfortable even with the slightest change in the angle of the sole or the properties of the material.

I think that it may be a good option for you to buy a few pairs of very different brands and alternate them in your training, this will make you less sensitive to small changes likes a slight "wear out" of your shoes.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Julia1971

I voted "Long Distance Runners".  My thinking is that over the same amount of time, those doing more mileage are just going to wear out their shoes sooner.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

This can't really be answered objectively based on the simplicity of the options.  There are too many variables.  Then you start adding combinations of the choices and it becomes a mess.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Very true cookiemonster, I was just curious. Maybe the better question is who notices the wear and tear more in their shoes... I think?

To be honest, I posted the  2 other choices because I ran out of options  My main question is whether overpronators and underpronators wear their shoes out faster than normal runners.....

I've tried multiple types of shoes before going to a LRS and having my gait analyzed which then told me Asics GT-2000's are best for me, which are now GT-2000 2. When I first started running I found the Brooks Ravenna's to be perfect for me, but then they were ripped away from me. So then I tried  4-5 different brands trying to figure out what would work best for me, I was constantly dealing with aches and pains in the shins, calves, knees, ankles and even my feet. Some of them were to motion controlled and would basically force my ankles inward and others weren't supportive enough... basically I had no idea what I was doing. Even the "stack height" can't be too extreme usually a 9-11mm difference is best for me.

It got me thinking so I wanted to ask around. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Julia1971

Very true cookiemonster, I was just curious. Maybe the better question is who notices the wear and tear more in their shoes... I think?

To be honest, I posted the  2 other choices because I ran out of options  My main question is whether overpronators and underpronators wear their shoes out faster than normal runners.....

I've tried multiple types of shoes before going to a LRS and having my gait analyzed which then told me Asics GT-2000's are best for me, which are now GT-2000 2. When I first started running I found the Brooks Ravenna's to be perfect for me, but then they were ripped away from me. So then I tried  4-5 different brands trying to figure out what would work best for me, I was constantly dealing with aches and pains in the shins, calves, knees, ankles and even my feet. Some of them were to motion controlled and would basically force my ankles inward and others weren't supportive enough... basically I had no idea what I was doing. Even the "stack height" can't be too extreme usually a 9-11mm difference is best for me.

It got me thinking so I wanted to ask around. Smile

Hmm...  Then, I might change I vote.  I think overpronators notice it more.  They can see the tell-tale signs of wear on the outer part of the shoe.

FWIW, I started out "diagnosed" as an overpronator but now I wear neutral shoes.  Still, my neutral shoes still show a little more wear on the outsides.  Also, after about 250-300 miles in my shoes, I start getting pains in my ankles.  I religiously replace my shoes after about 300 miles.  Could they go longer?  Probably.  But, I really try to replace them at the first signs that they're breaking down on me.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Hard to say.  My feet are very flexible, my form is newbie-atrocious but improving, but I'm small (~125lb) and I seem to trash shoes after about 250-300 miles.  Outsoles are fine but I had completely creased up a pair of Nike Pegasus 30 at ~250 miles and my Kayanos now are starting to show creasing in the midsole at around ~250 miles.  

When I get over this injury, I'll be alternating between the Kayanos and Saucony Omnis -- hoping the alternating will help a bit with reducing my sensitivity to changes in the shoe (plus I seem to do better with a stiffer shoe, maybe?)  I'd like to get closer to 500 miles out of a pair of shoes.

Since the manufacturers moved away from carbon rubber outsoles to save weight, I can barely get 150-200 miles on my shoes.  Treadmill greatly extends that, of course.  I land on the outside forefoot of my left foot and shave right through that forefoot edge.  I beef it up with Shoe Goo a few times, then ditch the shoes because the tilt is just asking for injury in my case.

Should add-  I'm female and around 115 pounds.  This has always been a problem for me with the sole wear.  Hokas are really bad as far as sole wear.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Half Fanatic #846

Hey, where's my category??

But really, I think the single most important variable is the shoe style or brand (type of sole).  I may only get 300-400 miles from my soft-soled Skechers, but fully expect to get 1000-1200 from my Merrels with their hard vibram soles.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I just wanted to add that my shoes look almost like new when I retire them. I'm a light runner (50 kg) so I guess that helps. I have to retire them because my legs start to hurt, always the left shin first.

Christirei

No idea on who will wear through their shoes at a faster rate, but I agree with Jancika - my shoes look brand new when I am through with them, but I always know they are done when I start to have any knee pain, it's my one sure fire sign. My husband gets crazy about it because my shoes look new except for some wear on the soles and he thinks I should be able to get a few months more use from them, I have tried to explain how the cushioning inside the shoe has deteriorated but he just sees how often I buy shoes Smile

keeponrunning

I don't know the answer to your question, however, what I notice makes a difference in my shoe wear is what type of weather and terrain I'm running on.  I wear my shoes out faster at my cottage because the road is dirt with lots of rocks which I always seem to catch my toes on (ya, ya learn to pick up my feet) so I wear the tops out fast.  I also find constantly rainy/snowy weather wears out my shoes quicker.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

muppy

I am a "voluptuous" runner, weigh about 235 pounds. I get about 300 to 350 miles out of a pair, I land on the outside of my heel and it wears down very quick. I rotate through three or four pairs of shoes at a time so they can "rest" in between use.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No idea on who will wear through their shoes at a faster rate, but I agree with Jancika - my shoes look brand new when I am through with them, but I always know they are done when I start to have any knee pain, it's my one sure fire sign. My husband gets crazy about it because my shoes look new except for some wear on the soles and he thinks I should be able to get a few months more use from them, I have tried to explain how the cushioning inside the shoe has deteriorated but he just sees how often I buy shoes Smile

I know your pain on that one  My husband doesn't run so I just say "a non-runner will never understand", plus he is always wondering why his back aches, his feet ache, etc.. he isn't very active but he'll wear his shoes until they're falling apart 

PRs