Warning, a very controversial topic! More controversial than Religion, and Politics... (Read 459 times)

I know Virginia Beach has been R-N-R since 2001.  I wasn't running back then.  I used to drive down the street, see it blocked off and say "What the hell are those people doing?  Paying to run?  hahahaha!"   Advance the clock 10 years and look at me now. :-)

I think VB was one of the first 4.... Not certain where R-N-R first began though.

Overall stats appear to be:  Runners at almost every one of their races on the decline.   The total number of U.S. Races seems to have peaked and is on the decline as well.  They added Cleveland last year, but either did not follow through on, or canceled 4 other events in the past 12 months.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

delicate flower

I don't have an answer as to why they are cancelling races, but when I started running in 2011, I'd have done one of their races.  Now that I am a slighly more educated runner, there is little chance I'd fork over $140 to run a cookie-cutter marathon like RnR when there are so many other better options to choose from.  This year I am running Vermont City ($90) and Philadelphia ($105).  Seems like the only news I hear coming out of RnR races is bad news (the fiasco in Las vegas a couple years back, back of the pack runners getting picked up but allowed to cross the finish line anyway, aid stations routinely running out of water and supplies, etc).  No thanks.  That said, I'll never say never.  If DW or running friends wanted to do one, I'd join them.  Knowing my circle of running friends though, that ain't gonna happen.

<3

C-R

It almost inspires me to make a poll Smile

Don't you dare encroach on X's territory.

RnR. I think Country Music was one of their when I ran it. Haven't run one since. Too many choices that meet my wallet and racing needs.

Anecdotal information - This years Indy Mini did not pre-race sell-out. First time in recent memory at least eight years as that's how long we've been in the area). I asked a few novice and seasoned runner friends why they weren't running and generally was told the cost ($90) and 35000 runners was not so exciting since there are plenty of other half marathons in the area as an alternative.

Looks like capitalism is hitting the racing scene on these mega races. Having choices is good. RnR may just be feeling that pinch. Disney on the other hand - not so much.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

HobbitLegs

elevenses

My first half was a R-n-R race. Friends signed up and talked me into it. It was probably the first thing to pop up on the google when they looked for a race. I was really annoyed when I had to pay over $100 to register and then was asked if I wanted to contribute additionally to St. Jude. The expo was an easy in and out, but I got a better swag bag at a local 5k. The shirt was ugly. The weather sucked major ass. I ran Nashville last year. It rained buckets, so we didn't have many bands like we were promised. I don't blame people for not wanting to be electrocuted. It was fun seeing people run as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. People still came out and cheered despite the shitty weather. The post race set up was a clusterfuck due to the rain. We just got the hell out of there because it was freezing. It was not worth the $100+ for me.

For people who like crowds, bands, and costumes. These races are probably a blast. That's just not my thing. I've since done some smaller races and have enjoyed them much, much more. One half was in a national park and I really enjoyed the quiet beauty of that race. Another half I ran was in conjunction with my hometown marathon. It was $55 and I was able to park at work, pee in a real bathroom, walk to the start, enjoy great crowd support and hear people cheer me on by name. That's hard to beat.

Fletch

RnR ticked off a lot of people in Raleigh.  This article from the Raleigh New and Observer is more about Competitor's fundraising model, but they quote some local race directors.  You can get a sense of their displeasure.

http://www.midtownraleighnews.com/2014/04/18/3794230/raleighs-rock-n-roll-marathon.html#

alevansal

Not a fan of RNR races, so no, it doesn't concern me they've stopped growing and have started shrinking.  I'm fine with others doing the races and enjoying them, they're just not for me (to the point that I had intended to run the Madrid Marathon in Spain, and then decided against it when it became a RNR event).

I prefer smaller races that are put on by runners for runners.  The cost is less, the organization is generally better, and the logistics are MUCH simpler (i.e., I don't have to show up 2-3 hours before the start to stand around in a corral).

All that being said, I do intend to run either the full or half at New Orleans in January to hang out with a large group of friends.  It wasn't my first choice, but when organizing a group, you have to go with what works for the most people.

#artbydmcbride

In November 2012, Competitor Group was sold to the private equity firm Calera Capital.  I think some of the changes and cancellations you have seen are based on this.

Runners run

Julia1971

It was fun seeing people run as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.

How do you run as Kenny Rogers?

catwhoorg

Labrat

Maybe the fact that you can get similar races for significantly less (say 1/3rd less or more) is actually sinking home.

Supply, demand and competitive pricing in action.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

At the risk of being obvious...know when to walk away, know when to run

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

You picked a fine time post that, Kevin.

<3

Julia1971

I think I'm Kenny Rogers everyday, then.

Every guy with a beard in that race is all, "Nope. Not trying to be Kenny Rogers".

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

RnR events are experience races...you pay for more than just the running and presumably get a 'once in a lifetime' type of experience with bands playing and a high energy atmosphere.  For me, it ain't worth it.  I have run 3 RnR events (Philly x2, NYC 10k).  You can only hear the bands for about 30 seconds each.  Sometimes the band is finishing a song or taking a break so you don't even get that.  Add in the lack of personal attention (impossible on a race the large), high cost, dealing with large crowds, and complicated race logistics...the scale starts tipping fast.  I enjoyed the RnR races I did, but I had the "experience" and now I've moved on to other things.  Not a sustainable business model as far as I'm concerned.

**Ask me about streaking**

Tar Heel Mom

kween

My first half was a R-n-R race. Friends signed up and talked me into it. It was probably the first thing to pop up on the google when they looked for a race. I was really annoyed when I had to pay over $100 to register and then was asked if I wanted to contribute additionally to St. Jude. The expo was an easy in and out, but I got a better swag bag at a local 5k. The shirt was ugly. The weather sucked major ass. I ran Nashville last year. It rained buckets, so we didn't have many bands like we were promised. I don't blame people for not wanting to be electrocuted. It was fun seeing people run as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. People still came out and cheered despite the shitty weather. The post race set up was a clusterfuck due to the rain. We just got the hell out of there because it was freezing. It was not worth the $100+ for me.

For people who like crowds, bands, and costumes. These races are probably a blast. That's just not my thing. I've since done some smaller races and have enjoyed them much, much more. One half was in a national park and I really enjoyed the quiet beauty of that race. Another half I ran was in conjunction with my hometown marathon. It was $55 and I was able to park at work, pee in a real bathroom, walk to the start, enjoy great crowd support and hear people cheer me on by name. That's hard to beat.

There is just no overestimating the importance and pleasure of this.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Dude had on a white wig and white beard and was running with Dolly whilst carrying a microphone.