Training Tip - A Brief History of Water Theory (from Running Times) (Read 832 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

From a Running Times newsletter I received recently:
    As runners, many of us enjoyed a long, cool spring, full of perfect running days, but the recent heat wave that has crossed the country was reminiscent of the most recent surprising heat wave: The 2007 Chicago Marathon weekend. Organizers were criticized for running out of water, cups and ambulances. In light of this, you might be surprised to learn that only 40 years ago, race organizers were not allowed to provide fluids before the 11 kilometer mark of a marathon and after that point runners could only drink once every 5k, according to the IAAF rule number 165.5. In fact, this rule was more relaxed than the 1953 version which specified that "refreshments shall [only] be provided by the organizers after 15 km.No refreshments may be carried or taken by a competitor other than that provided by the organizers." We've certainly come a long way from those days, but, as Tim Noakes points out in his tome The Lore of Running, we now have a tendency to overdo it a bit. We're not talking about hyponaetremia (or overhydration) but we're simply drinking more fluids than it is possible for our bodies to absorb when we are in a stressed state. During competitive running, its just not possible to replace fluid at rates equal to sweat rate, due in part to gastrointestinal distress. Noakes found in a 1993 study, that both fluid and carbohydrate absorption from the intestine was lower than expected during exercise. He found that while running, athletes had a hard time absorbing more than approximately 700 milliliters (about 23 ounces) per hour. If they tried to drink more than this, they felt bloated, which indicated some volume of unabsorbed fluid in the intestine. "The only runners who are capable of drinking [enough to keep up with their sweat rate] are those who develop water intoxication (hyponaetremia)," and they tend to be the back of the pack runners, who are running slowly enough to be able to take in so much fluid. In contrast to popular belief, Noakes says that NOT all of the weight loss over a long run or race needs to be replaced in order to maintain performance. Indeed, when runners were tested after hot races, it was found that those with the greatest degree of dehydration were the winners. So how does all this apply to you? While you're running and racing this summer, drink. When you're thirsty and not too much. About 16 ounces (1 pint) per hour will be as much liquid as most of us can absorb.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had 20oz. of Gatorade in 2.5 hours yesterday. I was fine, but felt pretty thirsty by the end and was rationing myself. Had it been 5-10º warmer I would definitely have wanted more. 16oz/hour during hot weather sounds about right.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In contrast to popular belief, Noakes says that NOT all of the weight loss over a long run or race needs to be replaced in order to maintain performance. Indeed, when runners were tested after hot races, it was found that those with the greatest degree of dehydration were the winners.
        Yep. Totally agree. It is better to run on the side of dehydration than to be overhydrated.
        mikeymike

Yes. The obsession with hydrating while running is so over done. If you're running any kind of pace you can't hydrate enough anyway, and it's not the end of the friggin world to finish a run or race a bit dehydrated. It's normal, actually.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yes. The obsession with hydrating while running is so over done. If you're running any kind of pace you can't hydrate enough anyway, and it's not the end of the friggin world to finish a run or race a bit dehydrated. It's normal, actually.
            When I bring water on a hot run, I do it just to avoid cottonmouth, which is a much bigger problem than actual thirst for me. And in races, most of the water at water stations goes on my head rather than in my mouth, to help me cool off. Keeping cool is much more important to me performance-wise than actually drinking a lot of water.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

When I bring water on a hot run, I do it just to avoid cottonmouth, which is a much bigger problem than actual thirst for me. And in races, most of the water at water stations goes on my head rather than in my mouth, to help me cool off. Keeping cool is much more important to me performance-wise than actually drinking a lot of water.
              Yep, me too. I only take half a mouth of water once or twice in my long runs (less then 2h) at summer (+30C). BUT, I need to cool my body few times. Whole body, from head to toes. Without this, it would be hard to keep performance level up. I even cup water from shallow water channels with my hands to cool myself.

Half Fanatic #846

The obsession with hydrating while running is so over done.
                ...and is due, at least in part, to the commercialization of "sports drinks" over the last few years. I drink a few sips here and there on runs over 5 miles or so, on up to 18 milers. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where is the line between mild, benign dehydration and potentially serious issues? Is it a problem when one starts to get chills, dizzyness, nausea, and weakness? I get this when I run in the Summer for more than an hour or two if the temps are over 80º...how serious are symptoms like this? I've always thought if I'm losing more than a few pounds on a run and feeling sick that I'm needing more of something, most likely fluids AND electrolytes. Is that incorrect? It's really hard to know what's reasonable in terms of hydration when there are such wildly differing opinions on the matter, even from medical standpoints.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

rkeddie

I read somewhere not too long ago ( and will try to track it down again ) that even slight dehydration can result in a substantial decrease in performance. Is that not the case?
                      Is it a problem when one starts to get chills, dizzyness, nausea, and weakness?
                      In my case: Chills: I'm fine with occasional chills. I get these few times per run, but I have not felt any negative effects from chills. Dizzy, nausea and weakness: These are not good symptoms. Only time when I remember having this kind of symptoms was when I, without acclimation, decided to do a long run on +35C. Acclimation to heat is the most important thing during summer. I needed to walk straight back home then and felt bad. That was real dehydration and my body temps were way too high. But, I survived and came wiser and let my body enough time to acclimate to heat, before next long run. No any probs after that and no water intake what so ever. And, during my whole running career (24 years) I have drank maybe 20l of sport drinks. Last drop in my mouth was 6 years ago.
                        I read somewhere not too long ago ( and will try to track it down again ) that even slight dehydration can result in a substantial decrease in performance. Is that not the case?
                        Good stuff is here: http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2007/11/sports-drinks-sweat-and-electrolytes_27.html Read more of their dehydration topics from here: http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/search/label/dehydration If you hydrate enough before the run, you should not need to drink anything, at least, up to 1h. But, it is very important to replenish your body water content as soon as possible after the run. There are individual differences between runners, but up to 1h of running water intake is not needed. Of course, sensible drinking does not do any harm.
                          Please, read this article, with all the other related articles in my previous posts link. http://scienceofsport.blogspot.com/2007/10/fluid-intake-dehydration-and-exercise_26.html Good stuff.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thank you A7son7. Good stuff.

Ostrich runner

I often welcome the chills. During my hm, I drank about 6-8 oz, split evenly between water and ade. At other water stops I swished, but didn't swallow the stuff, just so as to wet my mouth and clear out the funk. I've also had 8 mile training runs in high heat lately where I wanted more than the 20oz I was carrying.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I've found throughout my last few long runs (3-4 hour runs in well over 80 degrees with major humidity) that I could manage on 50-75 oz with no problem. Of course the only liquid before my runs was a cup of coffee.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson