Over 100 miles in 30 days (Read 830 times)

Marylander

I hit my first ever 30 day period over 100 miles today. I've done ~25 mpw for the last two weeks and have been running 6 days a week and am feeling pretty good about it. A couple weeks ago I finally started working on getting my bodyweight under control, which coincided with my first ever 25 mile week. I have even managed to increase the volume of weight lifting recently (have cut back a bunch from what I used to do before I was running) and even had a reasonable deadlift workout this week (I haven't been putting my lifting in my RA log).

I had started (and quit) running last year but this year is going much better (still need to complete a full year and still calling myself a jogger, not a runner). I'm actually a bit slower than last year but I wasn't going out 6 days a week then. Seems like I need to keep speed (speed being a relative term here... Wink ) under control in order to get out so often. I'm following the RA mantra of running a lot of easy miles with a little speed (almost all easy but sometimes I go faster on the final mile of a run or just go a bit brisker on a random day).

Kirk

...---...

Kirk. Sweet! Well done. Happy 4th.

PS - you're a runner. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

KirkRoy, job well done! Congrats

This is good Kirk............I remember last year when I 'finally' got 100 miles in one month and how good it felt - so I can relate to how you are feeling....

You're doing a nice job and running very consistently -- consistency and miles are the key to success and you are succeeding on both...........

Happy running....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Seems like I need to keep speed (speed being a relative term here... Wink ) under control in order to get out so often.

Correct --- this should be your strategy---with the greatest focus on simply logging the miles for now.....as the 100 mile months turn into 170 mile months (or more) the speed will start happening and also, you can start thinking about more formalized quality running training.....but that is for later.......

You're doing it all just right.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Marylander

Thanks all! The big negative with running slow all the time is that I am considering resurrecting my brief stint as a sprinter on the HS track team (just outdoor in 10th grade, got a guitar after that and thus ended my track 'career'). There are track meets nearby and sprints have a lot more appeal to me than distance races (since I'm more naturally competitive at them). I should probably wait on that until next year...

Kirk