Sidelined with a HM in 6 weeks - advice? (Read 435 times)

Hi there, quick question for you all! I have a HM coming up in 6 weeks, but due to recent unexpected medical issues, I've had to lay off running for the past month and likely will be for another 2-3 weeks or so. I don't have a RA log yet (which will be changing soon Wink), but had been running 30-35mpw consistently for about 6 months (with a several year solid base prior), with the occasional longer run prior to getting sidelined, so I was in fine shape to run this. I've been trying to keep as active as possible, but as I learned in trying out an easy 3 miler to warm my legs up again last night, this seems to have significantly hurt the base I'd built up. Despite being in okay shape prior to this, I'm afraid there's just no way I'll be able to run the 13.1 at this point without hitting a wall and walking. Despite being a long time runner, I haven't run too many races so I don't know what the general sentiment/etiquette is on this (if there is one), so I thought I'd ask you all (and my apologies if this is a stupid question!) - What should I do? I can definitely give it a shot, but hate the idea of hitting a wall around 8mi and having to walk. It was extremely competitive to get into via lottery, so I guess I just feel bad wasting a bib/chip knowing I'll likely be walking when hundreds of competitive runners were shut out. Anyone have a similar experience?

Old, Slow, Happy

Hi....Last Feb. I tore a calf muscle about 6 weeks before a HM. I did elliptical training for four weeks. I wasn't very good at it because I hate training when I'm not going somewhere. About 2 weeks before the HM I got back on the road. I, also, found my base had eroded some. Since I had coerced four of my soccer players to run with me, not running was not an option. I did have to walk a little. Only once and about 1/10 of a mile. I thought my time would be bad, but it was pretty good. It was about 5 minutes faster than I had run for the same HM the year before. I don't know if this is what you should expect, but it's my experience. Good Luck!!