What must I do to run a seven minute mile? (Read 13516 times)

Continuing from this question: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/bf01d4218b8d44d8a3e616f5a3d3d8d9 I am a hefty 46 year old guy weighing in at about 223 lbs down from 225 of last week. I am 71.5 inches tall. Not sure what my ideal running weight is but I am shooting for 170 lbs. Today I did a workout, running laps at close to a seven minute per mile pace. 1st lap easy jog for 1 lap = 557 yards = 506.8 =meters =.316 mile 2nd lap faster pace for 2 minutes 8 seconds 3rd lap easy jog 4th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 21 seconds 5th lap easy jog 6th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 22 seconds 7th lap easy jog 8th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 23 seconds Slower pace running for 5 more laps. Total distance 13 laps = 4.1 miles The 6th lap was starting to be difficult with the lungs and the legs, so I made that one the last speed lap. Taking the good advice from all the people at the other thread who said burning lungs is NOT a good thing. No HTFU for burning lungs Big grin I was surprised by the first "speed lap" time which was under a seven minute pace. I deliberately tried to slow down some on the other speed laps, pacing myself, taking the advice from the other thread. With practice I hope to be able to run a seven minute mile. I hope to do two speed workouts per week, one a tempo run and the other interval laps of 557 yards. Possibly shortening the jogging rest phases between speed laps. Any advice for a workout that would increase my chances of running a seven minute mile will be taken into consideration Big grin Thank you.
    JakeKnight

Try garlic. Increase intervals to 558 yards. 557 yards just isn't enough.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

Chia Running Wanna get faster? Run as often as possible. In all seriousness, what are you asking us? You have been given quite a bit of advice, yet you seem to want to find all possible shortcuts. Beyond that, you seem more than willing to refute every possible bit of advice with random studies. Lemme tell you right now: There are NO shortcuts. Period. End of story. Plain and simple. I don't know you, you don't know me. But I'll tell you this much: I have no problem telling you that you're acting like an a-hole. It's one thing to ask for advice. It's another thing to bait people into arguments, and this is exactly what you're doing. If you want to improve, then do the work. Otherwise, I know where you stand on this issue, and will refrain from responding again. Good luck with your training, I hope you get to where you need to be.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What must I do to run a seven minute mile?
          Simple patented two-step JK program to make you faster: 1) Every time you're tempted to Google, read, or post a study on how to get faster without running more - go run 2 miles. 2) Repeat. You're welcome.

Lia's Daddy

Hefty- Why are you so hung up on speed? A 7 minute mile is not going to make you competitive in any true sense of the word. Your profile says that you are running for health and fitness. The way to achieve these things is to run often and increase your distance at a safe and reasonable rate. As someone who is also new to running, this board has been an invaluable resource. If you actually were to follow the advice of some of the great folks on here you might still be running 6 months from now. With your size and most importantly, your aproach to running, an injury is in your near future.
            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

SMART Approach

Those so called speed laps would be fine after several miles of slower running when you are peaking 4-6 weeks before a goal race. With your long term goals (don't think short term), you need to replace this speed day with a 5-7 mile slower run followed by 4-6 X 15-20 sec striders at your speed pace. 1 mile Tempo pace intervals (not too fast) the other day would be fine but AGAIN, think long term and not trying to hit a 7 min pace. I am also reluctant to tell you to do tempo intervals because I think you will run them too fast. Results will come, but not in 3 weeks. Maybe 3-6 months if you train smart and training smart means less "pure speed work". No other way to say it. The take away is, running faster in training does not make you faster long term and increases injury chances and actually negatively affects your aerobic base building.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Continuing from this question: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/bf01d4218b8d44d8a3e616f5a3d3d8d9 I am a hefty 46 year old guy weighing in at about 223 lbs down from 225 of last week. I am 71.5 inches tall. Not sure what my ideal running weight is but I am shooting for 170 lbs. Today I did a workout, running laps at close to a seven minute per mile pace. 1st lap easy jog for 1 lap = 557 yards = 506.8 =meters =.316 mile 2nd lap faster pace for 2 minutes 8 seconds 3rd lap easy jog 4th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 21 seconds 5th lap easy jog 6th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 22 seconds 7th lap easy jog 8th lap faster pace for 2 minutes 23 seconds Slower pace running for 5 more laps. Total distance 13 laps = 4.1 miles The 6th lap was starting to be difficult with the lungs and the legs, so I made that one the last speed lap. Taking the good advice from all the people at the other thread who said burning lungs is NOT a good thing. No HTFU for burning lungs Big grin I was surprised by the first "speed lap" time which was under a seven minute pace. I deliberately tried to slow down some on the other speed laps, pacing myself, taking the advice from the other thread. With practice I hope to be able to run a seven minute mile. I hope to do two speed workouts per week, one a tempo run and the other interval laps of 557 yards. Possibly shortening the jogging rest phases between speed laps. Any advice for a workout that would increase my chances of running a seven minute mile will be taken into consideration Big grin Thank you.
                My 10-y-old son's hockey team all had to run 7-minute miles. They all did. They just ran. Suggestions: Run with the wind at your back. Run downhill. Let an angry dog chase you. Run at 2 a.m. when we "fall back" for daylight savings time. Run on a spaceship traveling at the speed of light (right?). Put big-ass springs in your shoes. Instead of eating, run. Instead of eating, do a crossword puzzle. Instead of eating, do the Macarena. I could go on and on.
                  No one can give you valid advice until you post your log.
                  mikeymike

I'm curious about this .316 mile track. Did you have it specially built because a standard 400m track's turns were too tight for your size 13 feet?

Runners run

Those so called speed laps would be fine after several miles of slower running when you are peaking 4-6 weeks before a goal race. With your long term goals (don't think short term), you need to replace this speed day with a 5-7 mile slower run followed by 4-6 X 15-20 sec striders at your speed pace. 1 mile Tempo pace intervals (not too fast) the other day would be fine but AGAIN, think long term and not trying to hit a 7 min pace. I am also reluctant to tell you to do tempo intervals because I think you will run them too fast. Results will come, but not in 3 weeks. Maybe 3-6 months if you train smart and training smart means less "pure speed work". No other way to say it. The take away is, running faster in training does not make you faster long term and increases injury chances and actually negatively affects your aerobic base building.
                      Thank you Tchuck. I will back off slightly on the intervals. Today I will run 8 miles "easy" Big grin I will not post again until the seven minute barrier has been broken. It is good to have goals in life. I am not sure why the other people are getting angry. Live long and peosper my friends Big grin
                      JakeKnight

I will not post again until the seven minute barrier has been broken. .... Live long and peosper my friends Big grin
                        Godspeed, Captain. I'll pray for you as you embark on your historic journey. Take lots of garlic, and think of us often.

Chia Running Lemme tell you right now: There are NO shortcuts. Period. End of story. Plain and simple.
                          I must reply to this, my final post unil the 7 minute mile, I promise Big grin The world of sports is full of people taking shortcuts - cheating however they can get away with it. At one time I could bench press 395 lbs and deadlift 600 lbs. Not really amazing but in the gym there were people who bench pressed 500 lbs and deadlifted over 700 lbs. They were taking anabolic steroids, I was not. I refused to take the short cut of anabolic steroids. Now I read that even some distrance runners use anabolics and many other drugs to enhance their performance. Not me. Those drug-heads will screw themselves up big time if they are not careful. I will not be using shortcuts buddy. 7 minute mile soon, with no juice Clowning around

The Greatest of All Time

Instead of eating, do the Macarena at 7:00 pace.
                            Fixed.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            JakeKnight

my final post unil the 7 minute mile
                              With all the feeding you've enjoyed here, it'll be hard to reach your momentous goal. Now how can we miss if you don't go away? MTA: One last quick but important piece of new info before you leave us and journey forth towards your moment of sporting glory. Just in: avoid black running shoes. They only slow you down. Now go make us proud.

Scout7

Just in: avoid black running shoes. They only slow you down. Now go make us proud.
                                Red is definitely preferable. I mean, if it makes people drive cars faster, then it MUST make people run faster. Another study for the Chia Running Institute. Also, if you haven't started yet, grow your hair. And a wicked cool (that phrase thrown in for Mikey) circa 1970s mustache. Look at Pre. He ran WAY faster than a 7:00 mile, and he had hippie hair all over.