Shoes for Winter - Snow and Ice (Read 1006 times)

With a Canadian winter approaching, I would like some advice on choosing shoes. I need the shoes to repel water, and have decent grip on snow and ice. Cushioning is also very important. Thanks,
    5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59
      They don't exist

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They don't exist
        Yeah...but YakTrax are a good thing to add traction to an existing shoe. They got me through many snowy MI miles last Winter.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah...but YakTrax are a good thing to add traction to an existing shoe. They got me through many snowy MI miles last Winter.
          And if you want to go cheaper, lighter, and more effective, then sheet metal screws are even better. Just get some gators, your favorite pair of shoes, and some 1/4" to 3/8" sheet metal screws and put them in the bottom of your sneakers. Screw shoes, now with completely unnecessary video demonstration: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/03/04/how-to-make-screw-shoes.html

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And if you want to go cheaper, lighter, and more effective, then sheet metal screws are even better. Just get some gators, your favorite pair of shoes, and some 1/4" to 3/8" sheet metal screws and put them in the bottom of your sneakers.
            I'm chicken to try screws in my regular shoes, which are lower profile. I ran a New Year's day race this year with a guy who had a similar shoe (I think one of the Mizuno performance trainers). He could feel a couple of the forefoot screws digging into his foot! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Another vote for the screw shoes. I put 100s of miles on mine every year... they work great.
                What kind of winter conditions will you be running on most often? I tried screws in trail shoes last year. I could feel a couple of them while running on very hard pack/ice conditions. If you are running on snow surfaces with a little give, the hexagon screws might be just fine. If mostly icy paths, I think the YakTrax might be better - they have points that I think give more traction. I liked the ice bugs, but they were just too hard on my shins - but I have talked to several peeps who love them after an intial break-in period. Good luck!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

It is never consistant. A run in February will likely encompass about 5% asphalt, 10% ice covered asphalt, 50% hard packed snow, and 35% snow covering ice covering asphalt.
                  5k PB: 19:02. 5k Goals: 6m = 18:30; 1 yr = 17:59; 2yr = 17:30 10k PB 42:20 (uncertified). 10k Goals: 6 m = 41:00; 1 yr = 39:59; 2 yr = 37:59
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is never consistant. A run in February will likely encompass about 5% asphalt, 10% ice covered asphalt, 50% hard packed snow, and 35% snow covering ice covering asphalt.
                    You live in West MI? Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You live in West MI? Tongue
                      No, Maine, I would guess. Wink

I'm chicken to try screws in my regular shoes, which are lower profile. I ran a New Year's day race this year with a guy who had a similar shoe (I think one of the Mizuno performance trainers). He could feel a couple of the forefoot screws digging into his foot! Tongue
                        You need to get the right size screw. I use 1/2" screws in my trail shoes, which have a nice agressive tread, but in my road shoes I use 1/4" under the balls of my feet where its thinnest to 3/8" screws in the heels. If you just use 1/4" screws, you should be fine unless you are wearing something like vibrams or racing flats; just put the screw up to the outside of the sole and you'll realize there's no way that's gonna poke through. I did have one old pair of shoes that needed to be retired that I put some screws that were too long under the ball of my foot. The screw poked through whenever I ran fast, but since I only used those shoes 2 or 3 times after screwing them and then retired 'em it wasn't a big deal.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

winter shoes... having froozen toes is no fun... the only shoes I have run in that my feet are not frozen in are my Pearl Izumi SyncroPace shoes... they breath but you don't feel the breeze through them... combined with tech wool blend sox and my feet are good... going to give yak tracks a try this winter though... BTW Asics are like wind tunnels (nimbus) New Ballance 1220 almost as wind tunnel like as the nimbus... Saucony progrid triumph... (not as bad as the wind tunnels but not good) Mizuno wave rider 11 (feet got cold in 40 degree weather with wool socks??? afraid to try 20's) Nike air pegasus... didn't wear them in enough cold weather to really evaluate ... pearl izumi syncroseek (super duper warm) pearl izumi syncropace (very warm)
                            Minor threadjack... What about socks? I'm in Boston area and will be training for first marathon this winter. Cchanging shoes is not an option since I'm soooo sensitive to shin splints. So the Yaktrax are a good idea but I might need some better socks to stay warm in my Mizuno Inspires. I love my Thorlos.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like the Craft Quarter Socks because they're a little longer and keep my ankles warm. http://www.trisports.com/craft-pro-warm-quarter-sock.html
                                Running in Eastern Ontario. Never had much issue with warmth. My proirities are ranked as follows: 1) traction 2) cushioning 3) water shedding 4) weight 5) warmth I have found that the benefit provided by any metal cleat on ice or snow, is diminished by the missery of runniing on sections of cleared asphalt or concrete.