Ipod Itouch Help, Anyone??? (Read 3570 times)

So my sons Nano died last week. We went to the apple store, which is about an hour away in Sacramento, only to find out you need to make an appointment for repair attempts with a technician. But the sales person offered us 10% off any new Ipod purchase. After looking at the New Nano with the video, which he really wanted this time around, and the Itouch, the coolness of the Itouch won out. We got home, and were able to get the music working. Our trouble is with our home Wifi connection. I guess when he first tried to connect and it asked for a password he didn't enter one, or told it not to ask him for ir anymore, something like that. Or maybe we entered the incorrect password too many times. Now we can't figure out how to get on our home network. It "sees" our network, but shows a "locked" symbol. And I don't know enough about the different types of connections to comfortably go in and change the settings, although I DO have a printout of all our home Wifi settings that I've used for our 2 laptop connections. Confused SO, can anyone help?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    PWL

Has been

What type of security are you using on your WiFi network?

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

You mean my Norton Firewall program?
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

You mean my Norton Firewall program?
            No, he means the security in your wireless router. So will the discussion I posted a link to.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I found that discussion last night, but honestly cabn';t make enough sense of it, and don't wan tto screw up the wifi that IS working for our 2 laptops....guess I'll wait until Apple has a little clearer discussion on how to solve this problem. Also, from what I've read, the Wifi will probably work at open locations, like the starbucks, but we haven't tried it yet.
                In Settings under Wi-Fi, click the right arrow of the misconfigured network. At the top of the next screen you should see a button like thing that says "Forget this Network", click that. Now go back and select your home Wi-Fi network and it should ask you to authenticate again corey
                  I did this, and it asked me for the password again, I pput in what i think is the password, based on the printout I have from my router. It took it, but still get "can't find server" when I try Utube or Safari.
                    If you didn't get an error and you have a check next to the Wi-Fi network then you are connected, it's most likely an ip address issue now. Is your "router" a cable or dsl modem that hands out DHCP? When you click on the blue arrow for the Wi-Fi network and select DHCP do you see an address other than 169.x.x.x? You basically need to setup the iPod the same way you setup your computer. Follow that print out you have and you should be good. If it still doesn't work you might need to provide more info like what is in those instructions and what you see on the iPod under DHCP or static. corey
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Can you run with an iTouch. Is it a flash drive? I'm really tempted to get one for the internet browsing but figured I would wait until they were $200.
                        2011 Goals:
                        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeppers, it is a flash drive. We discussed this elsewhere...when I run I want a tiny cheap destructible device, not some expensive, convoluted and potentially fragile one. The iTouch is cool, feature rich and full of novel circuitry. For my runs, give me a tiny inexpensive iShuffle with a flash drive. For my long car drives or boring lectures give me a state of the art iTouch with an adequate drive (i.e., one that has memory, even if it has moving parts). Especially since the iTouch is designed to play memory hog stuff like video and music.
                          If you didn't get an error and you have a check next to the Wi-Fi network then you are connected, it's most likely an ip address issue now. Is your "router" a cable or dsl modem that hands out DHCP? When you click on the blue arrow for the Wi-Fi network and select DHCP do you see an address other than 169.x.x.x? You basically need to setup the iPod the same way you setup your computer. Follow that print out you have and you should be good. If it still doesn't work you might need to provide more info like what is in those instructions and what you see on the iPod under DHCP or static. corey
                          I'll try some of this tonight - we have cable modem - and a Linksys wireless router...any other tips you can offer here would be great...thanks!
                            Your linksys should be handing out DHCP, do you get an address? Click the right arrow on your Wi-Fi network, then select DHCP. I can't see your device so it would be helpful to know what is setup for ip address, subnet mask, router, DNS etc. Compare that also with your home computer to make sure they are similar. Also, make sure Wi-Fi is on and Ask to Join Networks is on.

Imminent Catastrophe

Can you run with an iTouch. Is it a flash drive? I'm really tempted to get one for the internet browsing but figured I would wait until they were $200.
                              I wouldn't run with it, I prefer a shuffle too. But you certainly could, just be sure to get a nice waterproof (sweatproof) case for it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Your linksys should be handing out DHCP, do you get an address? Click the right arrow on your Wi-Fi network, then select DHCP. I can't see your device so it would be helpful to know what is setup for ip address, subnet mask, router, DNS etc. Compare that also with your home computer to make sure they are similar. Also, make sure Wi-Fi is on and Ask to Join Networks is on.
                                Okay - my home Wifi is visible, and the DHCP is selected. IP address (that autofilled) doesn't match my linksys printout, nor does the Subnet Mask, and I'm not able to change those. I entered a DNS that I think is correct, but I still get the "Cannot connect you to Utube" message. Nothing is in the Router , Search Domain or Client ID fields. It won't let me enter anything for Router. Could my problem be because my base computer isn't Apple, but PC windows based?