Google maps and RunningAHEAD (Read 447 times)

Prince of Fatness

I probably only use about 20% of the features that the log provides and I still feel like I am getting the better part of the deal.  Other than the fact that I am willing to pay a higher subscription price I don't have a preference as to how you go about this.  Just make sure it works for you both financially and with your personal time.  Thanks for all of the work that you do on the site.

MTA:  Just to address raising the subscription fee, you really should at least consider that as an option or as part of an option.  I know as the price goes up it becomes less trivial, but you are talking about a year.  Even if you went to $50 a year it's not that much if you break it down by month, by week, by log entry, etc.  Hell even though I don't use a lot of features just having my running data taken care of is worth that price.

Not at it at all. 

M_M_C

One thing to consider is high schoolers and college students are the least likely demographic to subscribe as there are other free services/websites available to choose from. I would consider the fraction of total users they make up when making the decision.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

brad0985

I use this site mainly for the forum.  I’ve never used a map here and don’t think I would miss it if the map goes away.  I have Strava and Garmin connect for maps.  I don’t look much at other people’s logs.

+1

I will continue being a satisfied subscriber regardless of your decision. I’d be happy to pay more (with or without maps) or do away with them entirely.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Disable maps for non-subscribers, hopefully to limit the short term cash out.

Work to move to another provider (like open street maps) as time allows

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Christirei

i just got a subscription and also paid for my last few years. honestly i was a little clueless about what it takes to run a website like this, but i love runningahead and can't imagine not having this resource! i rarely use the maps feature since my running partner normally chooses our routes together, but every once in a while i do map something and i just have thoughtlessly used what i need.

Eric thank you so much for what you do through this website and the services that you provide for us! i don't know the first thing about anything regarding computers and websites and all of that, but i would willingly pay more and definitely think it is appropriate to have features available to paid subscribers vs non

jeffdonahue

MOst of this has already been said, but I'll repeat it.

I would say definitely eliminate maps for non-subscribers.

2.)  I think most of us know that $10 a month is too low for what we get out of the site and agree that even if you were to triple that to $30/year it would still be a bargain.

I do use the maps function a lot.  However, if cost becomes that much of an issue, there are other places I could use to map my runs and I would still continue to log them here because I like the community that you have built.

Whatever works best for you I am sure that we would all understand and go along with.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Eric, you have carried RA for a long time. I say that you need to do whatever is best for you and your family.

dhuffman63

Trails

Eric, not a subscriber, not a hard core runner (an ultra walker).  I don't use anything but the logs and the forum but it would seem reasonable that if a person wanted/needed maps then subscribing should be the way to go.  I have no problem paying for premium items and maps should be a premium item.  You do so much here already I'd hate for you to be price gauged out of providing such and excellent place.

Joann Y

I trust your judgment, Eric. I'm happy with whatever you decide to do.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I am a subscriber who has to deal with the exchange. I usually donate extra when I subscribe, how much depending on how hideous the Cdn to US exchange rate is. I do like the flexibility, but I understand if the rates need to go up. At $10 U$D, it is a very affordable subscription.

Maps are not critical for me. My Garmin takes care of that so it's not a real issue for me. I definitely think people who are anonymous/not signed in should not have map options. I don't know if it needs to be a subscriber-only option or not. Maybe? I don't know how many people rely on the map function. For me, the log and the LLR are my favourite parts of RA.

I trust you to do what is good for you and your family while still doing a good thing for RA. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I originally came to use this site when I searched for a way to create maps and have measured distances. Previously I calculated distances by either driving the route in my car and looking at the odometer or using a paper map and making off segments on a piece of paper and comparing to the map scale. The Google feature makes it much easier and has encouraged me to make over 50 courses that I now run. I then started to use the forums and after a while became a subscriber. This year I did contribute double the $10 amount because I use Runningahead almost every day. I think you need more reminders to pop up for nonsubscribers to encourage support for what you do. It's fine if occasional users want to use these services for free, but any regular user should at least pay the modest amount you request. Perhaps the mapping should be limited for non subscribers, that way they could try it and then decide if they want to keep it. I also think you should consider using an alternative mapping function even it if takes you some time to reprogram, as long as it measures distances and shows an elevation chart. I wish I could find one that will color code your course route by the slope grade.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

ELnEC

I am just back running after a (long) layoff.

I am putting one foot in front of another, slowly (emphasis on slow) trying to get my mileage up in this horrendous so-called spring (still have a foot of snow in my back yard, and -1C this morning; on the weather report this am the dude said we have not had a 10C day (50f) since November).

I think if I lost the RA maps it would push me back over the edge to sloth and indolence, maybe result in an early death.  Because I am old, scared of Strava, and like to plan routes, I rely on the maps function.

So yes, ban the uncommitted lurkers; make me pay to use the maps; switch to an o/s map back end and make me pay for the work involved.  Whatever it takes.  To relaunch, I have geared up with new shoes, a friend's GPS watch (which, to tell the truth, I haven't figured out yet), and wireless headphones.  Willing to add a maps-related contribution to RA to the list.

MTA:  Hate those Google f*****s.

eric :)

I looked into what OpenStreetMap provides and it looks like it has all the features I need to migrate.I don't know how accurate their data is, but literally anything is cheaper than what Google is charging everyone.

When I first added maps to RA, I have to write all the code to edit maps. There are various plugins in OpenStreetMap to replace most of the code I wrote. I just need to glue everything together so that should reduce the development time.

It looks like the bulk of the cost is split between Google maps and directions, which is used to navigate from point A to point B. I'm not surprised that there are so many map views, but I'm surprised by the number of direction requests. I don't have any numbers on usage between subscribers, non-subscribers, and anonymous users. Regardless, I might do a phased roll out by first creating a map viewer, which should cut the cost by half, and then a map editor.

mikeymike

It looks like the bulk of the cost is split between Google maps and directions, which is used to navigate from point A to point B. I'm not surprised that there are so many map views, but I'm surprised by the number of direction requests

Interesting. I draw maps all the time (and then don't save them) to plan out long run routes. I don't really need to, it's usually just to confirm what I think I know. I'll stop doing this.

At this point I basically can estimate the distance between any two points within 10 miles of my house to within a tenth of a mile anyway.

Runners run

Joe618

I looked into what OpenStreetMap provides and it looks like it has all the features I need to migrate.I don't know how accurate their data is, but literally anything is cheaper than what Google is charging everyone.

When I first added maps to RA, I have to write all the code to edit maps. There are various plugins in OpenStreetMap to replace most of the code I wrote. I just need to glue everything together so that should reduce the development time.

It looks like the bulk of the cost is split between Google maps and directions, which is used to navigate from point A to point B. I'm not surprised that there are so many map views, but I'm surprised by the number of direction requests. I don't have any numbers on usage between subscribers, non-subscribers, and anonymous users. Regardless, I might do a phased roll out by first creating a map viewer, which should cut the cost by half, and then a map editor.

Eric you are on it!   And, as a number of others have said, you make the decision and I'm certainly supportive with my cash as needed.   I'm so grateful for you keeping this site functioning.   Do the best for you and your family!!! 

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.