Feeling a Bit Discouraged (Read 1262 times)

Speediest Slug There Is!

I started the Couch 2 5 K Running Program well, roughly 9 weeks ago. I recently took a cross-country road trip to prepare for a move, so I had to do my first 3 mile distance on a hotel tread mill. Abysmally slow, and I hurt my foot. The second 3 mile run I did at a beautiful park called Green Lake near Syracuse, NY. My Aunt came along with me and I was pretty pumped to show her how much progress I'd made. The depressing part is, I run so slow that my Aunt was able to keep up with me by speed walking the whole time! Cry The course was much more challenging and hilly than the one I was used to, and I got major sun overexposure this week from 29 hours in the car, driving. Another slow time. We finally came home, and I was feeling all right because I managed to get the runs in despite a hectic schedule apartment hunting in New Brunswick (our new apartment has a 4 mile running trail in the backyard, huzzah!) Today was supposed to be the final day of the C25K, back on my home turf and the usual course. I took the first half mile way too fast (12:00/mile when I'm usually closer to 14) and things went downhill from there. I got a sharp pain in my left knee running up a bridge and then the sun poisoning started (I have pretty serious sun issues and an allergy to UVA rays), I realized if I kept going I was going to hurt myself. So I stopped at 1.6 miles, on what was supposed to be a triumphant finish and my first 5K distance. I just feel like I'm not making much progress right now. The one thing I can give myself is a weekly distance record -- 10.4 miles, wooh. According to my scale I lost body fat this week, and gained muscle mass, but it just seems like too little progress for the amount of work I've been putting in. I just wondered if anybody else has these kind of weeks, and what you do to get yourself out of them. Thanks.
    Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    Goals:
    *Complete a 5K (no walking)
    Tortoise and Hare 5K, 42:05, 13:35 pace PR
    *Weigh 160 lbs 5 to go!!!
    *15 mpw base
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just wondered if anybody else has these kind of weeks, and what you do to get yourself out of them. Thanks.
      *nods* My last month has been kind of like this...right now I'm really no faster than I was a year ago, but I've been dealing with a silly knee issue and asthma. I know that this is just temporary, so I try not to let it get my down too much. You're gonna have bad runs, bad weeks, and maybe even bad months...but these things don't last. Just do what you can and relish those great runs when they come along. If you're anything like me you will also have periods where almost all of your runs are awesome. Just keep that in sight and let it motivate you to keep in keepin' on. Smile And if you feel the need to repeat your last week of C25k as sort of a "do over," that's OK, too. I think most people take longer than 9 weeks to complete the program--life happens. Just remember that it's a training program to get you ready to take on bigger challenges as you become more fit. It's a stepping-stone. And there is no real time limit. I certainly couldn't do a 5k in 30 minutes or less when I finished...but 2 years later I can. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Christy. I'm another 14-minute miler and am frequently frustrated with not being able to find people to run with. (There's a support group for Back of the Packers here on RA if you're interested.) And yeah. Sometimes weeks like that happen. There's exactly one way to get through bad weeks that never fails: one day at a time and keep on trying. Sooner or later your luck WILL turn. Sounds like you've had a series of incidents affecting your runs. Each one of them had a reason that you've identified, and problems like that are just bumps in the road. You've gotten over those bumps already. Congratulations! Also, sounds like you've hit some major milestones: highest miles in a week, decreasing body fat, and listening to your body well enough to know when to stop a run. You're donig a good job. Hang in there!

Roads were made for journeys...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am not a c25k person but one thing is I am sure about is the fact you increased your mileage. Congrats and keep up the good work. I did a trail run today of 8 miles @ avg 16:25 pace. Now that is slow.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A runner's bound to have bad days/weeks. If not for them you won't appreciate the awesome running days! I had a totally horrible April. I felt really uncomfortable during runs and fell sick often, and as a result I couldn't log in enough to train for my 10k in early June. Feeling so bummed out and disappointed with myself, I thought this would mean the end of my running days. But I (reluctantly) decided to give it another shot, and May has been the most awesome month (for now). Smile
            obsessor

progress is slow. rewards are little. you WILL get there. you have to love it for what it is. I've been there.
              db7

Be glad you got to spend time with your aunt. Be glad that you can run no matter how slow. Enjoy each and every minute of it, every day. Watch this video. If its the first time you have seen it or the one hundreth. www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=f4B-r8KJhlE If that wont keep you going nothing will. Attitude is everything. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Fool

The greatest thing about this sport is that you are only racing against yourself. You set a weekly distance record, and are travelling much further than you would have thought you could back on week one. Congrats, you are progressing. Keep up the good work. I started last September at almost 230lbs, and I repeated week 5 three times - spending 12 weeks on the C25K program. I'm 200lbs now and tonight I treadmilled out 7.5 miles at a steady 10:00mm pace. I felt I could hammer out more - and I feel great about that. If I had listened to myself just ONCE during the hundreds times I asked, "Why don't I just quit, I can't do this anyore," I would have never have the joy of pushing back these mental and physical limits. It spills over into life and makes you wonder what else you can do. Horace wrote, "He who has begun their task has half done it. Have the courage to be wise, BEGIN!" You've done the hard part. You started. Just keep plugging at it, and keep celebrating the victories along the way. Don't compare yourself to elite runners. Compare yourself to yourself before week one - you've done amazing things for both yourself and your body. Be proud and glad. Take heart. I'm just a fool in nose-glasses with a Gray Jay on my head - if I can do it, ANYONE can.
                  db7

Watch this one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM&feature=related DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

We've all had bad runs. I had a horrible run last Sunday, set out to do at least 6.5 and quit after barely finishing 3.1. Today, I ran 6.5 like it was nothing. One thing you need to understand about running and performance, is that other factors also come into play such as stress and fatique. Wth all you've been doing, surely you recognize both? So the real question now, is are you a quiter or a fighter? I think you're a fighter and that you got back on that horse and did it again right? Regardless of how you run or how you ran, you're far better off getting out and doing it rather than being a couch potatoe. So keep it up, take the bad with the good and enjoy every run.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hawt and sexy

If you go back in my log you will find that at one point I was running 16 minute miles. 14 minute miles are quite speedy by comparison. That was about 2 years ago. Stick with it and have a peek at my training speeds now. This could be you in a couple of years.

I'm touching your pants.

Remember to compare your current abilities to what you could do 9 weeks ago. I bet you have come a LONG way! That being said, from one slow poke to another, I was SO excited to make a 4 minute PR in my 5K...what I didn't mention to anyone...there was an old man who power walked past me in the first 1/2 mile and despite thoughts that I might catch up to him...I never saw that dude again. You rock for just getting out there and for running on vacation. Keep it up! Smile
                            I had a really hard time that last week but I realized it had more to do with fear of what to do next and the fact that the program was almost over. My runs were slow, I missed one and my last run felt like torture. I started on a trail and abandoned it 5 minutes in. Then I restarted 20 minutes later and every step hurt, my lungs were like the first time I ever run. But the very next run for the one hour runner program was smooth and fun. Keep going, finding a new goal for yourself may help as well.
                            You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                              I think its awesome that with all that stuff going on in your life lately you were still able to finish the program. I probably wouldn't have run on many of those crazy days just because it was too much happening at one time. And nothing about that program says you HAVE to finish with a certain pace, or a certain distance, on a certain day. Go and try the last 3 miles or 30 minutes on another day. I dont even think I did the last entire week of c25K before I considered myself "graduated". Once I did just 1 run for 30 minutes straight I considered it finishing. Relax about it and just remember when you couldn't run at all, let alone slowly.
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I was feeling pretty discouraged after my last run (W6D3) so I have an idea how you are feeling. You have bad days so you'll know the good days when they come along. Look back at how far you've come. Good runs are ahead.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.