What's on your RoadID? (Read 1146 times)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

My name/Birth year

City, State, USA

Home phone (no longer used, guess I should update that)

DH's name/Cell phone number

No known allergies/Blood type

"Suck it up"

Coastal

Good tip on putting the heart rate on the ID.  I have a low resting heart rate and one local doctor I saw for a sinus infection was all concerned about it, even when I explained I was running and it is normal for me.  Hope he isn't in the ER if I wind up there.  Wish that the HR info was on my ID.

I have the wrist roadID with the online info.  I doubt a first responder would ever check online, but maybe the hospital would do so.  I hope so anyway.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Actually, I'm a paramedic (different from an EMT).  But that's neither here nor there.  In another week I'll be a graduate PA.  Moving up in the world, so to speak.

From a first responder standpoint here are the things that I, on the ambulance, will care about:

Your name

An idea of how old you are (generally the year of birth is enough)

Allergies (e.g. medications, bee stings)

Medical history -- if brief enough to include

That's it.  As a first responder I don't care, nor will I have time, to call an emergency contact.

Now, the hospital staff in the ED to which you're transported will care about all of the above PLUS:

Emergency contact name and phone number -- this had better be someone you have appointed or trust to make medical decisions for you.  Please keep in mind there may be local legal stipulations regarding who this person may be (e.g. spouse, parent).  It's also a good idea to make the emergency contact person aware that they're the emergency contact person.  A power of attorney may be necessary before the hospital will allow this person to make decisions on your behalf.

The online product offered by RoadID will be beneficial to hospital based providers.  Prehospital providers (EMTs, paramedics) won't have time, and may not have the resources, to access it.

A couple thoughts on some comments that have been made so far in this thread:

Blood type isn't necessary.  If you need blood the hospital will test you regardless of what you have written down.

DNR: This won't be legally binding.  With any luck you'll get a provider who will see it and be able to follow your wishes.  But don't count on it.

Low heart rate: You'll have been out running, presumably, when any ID would be found.  And if you're exercising your HR will be elevated anyway.

Using a RoadID as a watchband: I think Venomized had it right when mentioning that using your RoadID or similar as a watch band is a sure way to have it be overlooked by the people who need to see it.  Use a bright color band that is NOT attached to your watch.

What's on mine, you ask?

CookieMonster/19XX

NKDA / organ donor

Emergency contact person #1 & 2

Emergency contact person #3

That's it.

NKDA = No known drug allergies.  Organ donor isn't legally binding and is probably a waste of space.  However, if you are an organ donor please, please, PLEASE make sure your family knows of your decision.  They will be the ones making your choices known. 

Lastly, in light of the organ donor listing, emergency and surgical physicians will NOT, under ANY circumstances, work less hard to save you because you are an organ donor.  Their primary motivation and goal is to save YOUR life.  Organ donation is a long, drawn out process that can only begin well after attempts to save your life have been made.  There is a multi-step, commonly multi-day process that is very involved to determine who is a potential donor.  That being said, I strongly encourage everyone who is willing and able to become an organ donor. 

I think I've said enough for now.  Hope you find this helpful.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

xor

lo siento mucho for calling you the wrong thing. 

Coastal

CM -- Many thanks for the post.  It clears things up.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

lo siento mucho for calling you the wrong thing. 

No te preocupes, amigo.  Todo està bien.Smile

***************************************************************************************

Zelanie

I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, not sure they use them enough these days for it to be at all relevant.  Is it?

My resting HR is about 50 and sometimes lower.  Is that worth listing?  Or just make sure the family knows about it just in case people get into a panic?  I mean, you'd think they'd figure out you're a physically active person if you've been out running.

an amazing likeness

To be blunt...if you're hurt badly enough that the emergency info on your RoadID comes into play, you're heart rate wont be a concern because it wont be low at that time. A few days later in the hospital when the heart rate monitor goes off is when someone will ask questions.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bobruns

Thanks Cookie!  I have read your posts on this topic before and it is always great info.  Thanks for sharing.

Mine has:

Name

Town & State (since I am often running out of state)

DH name & phone

BFF Name & phone (since DH works weird hours and can't always be reached...she would know what to do)

I swear Cookie I will add year of birth next time I update mine since I am moving soon.  Oh...and I wear the rubbery wrist one, orange. 

xor

I have been trying to come up with an "I'm incapacitated and can't talk" scenario where "my goodness, I'm glad this says he has a low heart rate" comes into play.  After a lot of threads like this one, THIS one is the first time I've seen it discussed.  Interesting.  Seems to me that if you are out of it, a heart rate in the 40s/50s either isn't going to be the case (as mentioned by a couple) or is, but is going to get ignored because given everything goofed, that's like not an issue.  But I could be totally wrong.  Interesting, sincerely.

I'd put that and blood type as "interesting things to add if you have real estate, but otherwise nah".

So to me the question comes down to this:  When I have limited real estate, do I add nonessential stuff like blood type, donor status, low heart rate, etc.... or do I add a funny/inspiring saying. 

Hmmm.

That is a totally sincere question, btw.

How about

Running is stupid.

I'm a runner, not a jogger. ( grates my ass when my sister calls me a jogger)

Witty, I'm not.

Get off my porch

AlexaCT

So to me the question comes down to this:  When I have limited real estate, do I add nonessential stuff like blood type, donor status, low heart rate, etc.... or do I add a funny/inspiring saying. 

Hmmm.

I faced that conundrum.  I went with the quote for a couple reasons:

1) The likelihood of there being an actual emergency is slim

2) I am much more likely to be the only one looking at my RoadID....ever

3) I don't have any medical history or allergies, so there is nothing life-threatening that is pre-existing

4) I think I will require motivation more than medical assistance.

However, I may be the wrong person to comment on this.  I have a tattoo on my left wrist that says Breath in Hebrew (Yah, I know...sort of an oxymoron).  I used to get panic attacks and had to calm myself through deep breathing.  Having it there is just a reminder, much like the quote I selected for my ID.

I can and I will!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I forgot to mention that my RoadID is red.  Eye catching, no?  And I get asked about it all the time which is kind of the point of the thing.

I have been trying to come up with an "I'm incapacitated and can't talk" scenario where "my goodness, I'm glad this says he has a low heart rate" comes into play.  After a lot of threads like this one, THIS one is the first time I've seen it discussed.  Interesting.  Seems to me that if you are out of it, a heart rate in the 40s/50s either isn't going to be the case (as mentioned by a couple) or is, but is going to get ignored because given everything goofed, that's like not an issue.  But I could be totally wrong.  Interesting, sincerely.

I'd put that and blood type as "interesting things to add if you have real estate, but otherwise nah".

Hmmm.

Good questions.

In most cases of trauma one of the big ways the body responds is increased heart rate.  This is to keep the blood pressure up and blood moving to keep organs perfused with oxygenated blood.  Were someone out running and s/he was run over by a car the heart rate will be high from exercise and will be high from the physiological response to trauma.  Were someone out running and become incapacitated due to medical reasons that are not trauma related the heart rate will still be elevated due to exercise.  It would not be in the resting heart rate range that quickly.  Theoretically it could happen (massive heart attack or something) but if it rendered you unconscious you'd have much bigger things to worry about than whether or not heath care workers knew you had a low resting heart rate.

Real estate on these things is limited. If a runner had an extensive medical history, medication list, allergy list or all three the RoadID product with the online access or phone access to information would probably be a better option.  

For the record, I have no financial standing in the RoadID company.  I don't get kickbacks or anything from them in any way.  I like their product.  I like their company.  They have kick ass customer service.  They produce a quality product.  As a runner and a healthcare provider I do have a vested interest in keeping people safe, healthy or returning them to that state as quickly as possible.

Run Like a Mother

My RoadID is the bright purple velcro strap kind. 

Full name/YOB

Town/State

DH cell phone

Home phone

NKA/Organ Donor

Catholic

I very much appreciate the post by the paramedic informing of what professionals look for.  That was really helpful.

Linda

delicate flower

cookiemonster, you rock.

<3