Bikepath etiquette (Read 1002 times)

Krisruns

Just came back from a nice 7 mile run and have to ask for opinions. Much of the run is on a recreational bikepath in my town. I always understood that "wheels yield to heels", meaning that cyclists need to yield to runners. There is one guy that I see at least twice a week who almost runs me over. Today he came right at me,with his right arm pointing out (note that, following posted bikepath rules, I run against bike traffic). I kept running and yelled, "You're supposed to yield!" He almost lost his balance but finally went around me. I should also add that there was no oncoming traffic...he just doesn't want to go around anyone. The good news is that the subsequent adrenaline rush pushed me to a good time, but I was annoyed and feel vaguely threatened when I see this guy coming at me. Anyone have the same experience or any thoughts?
      When I run, bike, walk, drive, or do anything; I yield for the other person. It is easier that way. I am glad no one got hurt, and you had a nice run.
      Krisruns

I usually do that as well, and will plan to continue. My only alternative with this guy's speed and aim was to step off the path, and there is enough of a drop on this path that I worry about my footing. He caught me a bit by surprise, but luckily is the only cyclist who I have ever seen ride like that.
          When I run, bike, walk, drive, or do anything; I yield for the other person. It is easier that way. I am glad no one got hurt, and you had a nice run.
          I tend to agree...my thought process is I never know what the other person may or may not do. My long runs are usually at a business park with many bikes most of them give me plenty of room as they approach but a few of them come closer than I like (bring on the adrenaline). Just this morning on my long run I almost felt the need to shout at someone. I just happened to look behind me to see how my wife was doing and saw two bikes approaching me from behind ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. I knew they were going to pass me from behind and was surprised at how close the one came to me (about a foot). Had I moved over slightly to dodge a pot hole or puddle that would have been interesting. Anyway, the next mile was a bit faster for me as I got over it (Some people just do not think).
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love the bikers who live in my house, but am not all that fond of a lot of the ones I encounter in our area. 2x in less than a 24 hour period I was nearly taken out by cyclists (note: neither numbskull was wearing a helmet...seriously, if you are gonna be a complete asshat on a bike, at least protect yer noggin'...or find yourself nominated for a Darwin Award). First episode was Thurs. night when DS and I went out for a bike ride. The Trail-A-Bike with a big orange flag off the back was attached to the back of my mtn. bike. Near an ice cream shop an old lady was weaving all over the path and looking at her grandkid riding behind her (note: EYES FORWARD on a bike. If you need to watch someone behind you, then ride behind them). Dane and I had to come to a complete stop OFF the path and I hollered at her to look where she's going. Her response, "oh, I was watching my granddaughter." Said GD was doing just fine. Next day I'm out for a run on the same path and while running up a section that is sloped a group of about 10 cyclists (mostly kids...not a one in the group wearing helmets...duh) is cruising down the hill, weaving all over, laughing, goofing around. One kid is coming directly at me and again I am forced off of the path to avoid being hit. He doesn't even realize I'm there until he's within a foot or two of me. I tell him to watch where he's going and the mom (who is busy yakking with another mom, instead of keeping an eye on her helmetless kid) says, "oops, sorry." What she next should have done is to tell her kid to fly right and not screw around on the public path. Dane would have lost biking privileges for a week for that kind of crap. I will usually switch to one side or the other of the path if I see oncoming cyclists and they seem to be on one side. I'm happy to accommodate them. But there should never be cause for a runner to have to leave the path to avoid being hit. If this happens, then the cyclist is doing something wrong, for certain. Not wearing a helmet is their first mistake (and 9 times out of ten those who can't control their bikes and be considerate of others on the road or on paths are helmetless).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

I think the rule is, as you said, wheels yield to heels. Keep in mind though that brakes often don't stop a bike as quickly as shoes do a runner, and skin yields to metal.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

The problem with always yielding even when you are not supposed to have to is that it can create great confusion and actually cause problems if the other person is actually trying to follow the rules. This is my pet peeve at 4-way stops, someone tries to be "nice" and what results is mass confusion and 5X the delay for everyone....and sometimes a near accident when 2 people get sick of the "go-no-you-go" drama and go at the same time. Even with bikes, I've tried to be "nice" as a runner and go out into the traffic lane if bikes are oncoming but I can see there is no car traffic (after all, it is more difficult for them to look behind them). After a couple times watching the bikers swerve all the way out around me, sometimes into the OTHER (!!) traffic lane to do so, without even looking behind them, I don't try to be "nice" anymore, because it seems to some of them it's more annoying than nice. As a runner, though, you're going to lose any confrontation with a wheeled vehicle. So I try to see whether they are going to obey the rules or not and be prepared to get out of the way. But nothing can prepare you for the idiots like you encountered.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

(note that, following posted bikepath rules, I run against bike traffic).
                  What does this mean? The bikepaths I run on don't have any rules like that or I've never seen anything that says 'bikes right, runners left" or whatever. There's a striped yellow line down the middle - I stay RIGHT except to pass. If I'm on a bike I stay RIGHT except to pass. Am I a dork? Don't answer that! I read this thread because this mornings run was on a bike path and it was way more crowded than usual (we had 100 deg heat yesterday and it's much cooler today - guess everyone came out this morning). I had no issues to speak of.
                  NolaGal1

The bikepath near my house is a loop and has about a 3 foot lane marked on the right for bikes (which should only be riding in one direction). The other 6 feet or so is for walkers and runners. Fortunately, most of the bikers are relatively considerate.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Running against "traffic" only applies when on a road. It is not wise to do this on a bike path, as you found out. Personally, I get out of the way... it's a lot easier for a runner or walker to move over than for a cyclist to do the same.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Just came back from a nice 7 mile run and have to ask for opinions. Much of the run is on a recreational bikepath in my town. I always understood that "wheels yield to heels", meaning that cyclists need to yield to runners. There is one guy that I see at least twice a week who almost runs me over. Today he came right at me,with his right arm pointing out (note that, following posted bikepath rules, I run against bike traffic).
                        Are the rules in your town that you should run/walk against bike traffic posted somewhere obvious, like along the path, so that everyone knows those rules.? Where I live, on separated bike paths (even if only 6 inches of gravel/grass between path and highway), most traffic just keeps to the right. On non-separated paths (just a white line forming the separation), I think people are more inclined to follow the highway rules - bikes go with traffic, pedestrians against. On singletrack trails, it's uphill traffic, regardless of mode, has the right of way (at least that's what's posted at our trailhead, but may vary elsewhere). But invariably, the folks gasping going uphill are more than willing to let the downhill traffic through. Regardless, I tend to go by common sense and may chat with the person as we pass (both of us still moving). And I never pick a fight with something bigger and faster than me. I will let the less maneuverable mode by - like someone with jogging stroller - if it's an issue. Usually we've got good enough visibility for folks to find a place to get off path / trail as needed.
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        Krisruns

To answer an earlier question, the bikepath I was on has very explicit signs, both at intersections and painted on the pavement to indicate that pedestrians should go against bike traffic. There are only two lanes...not separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists (but that would be nice!) The signs also note that this is a recreational bikepath, which is supposed to discourage Tour de France wanna bes. Also, to be clear, I did not try to pick a fight, but rather was completely surprised by this cyclist. As many have said, I will plan to yield when possible, but am still burned that this guy was so intent on taking me out. My friend got a hairline fracture in her foot trying to step off the pavement...I will have to be more light-footed I guess.

Why is it sideways?

Personally, I get out of the way... it's a lot easier for a runner or walker to move over than for a cyclist to do the same.
                            I disagree that it's a lot easier for a runner to move over than for a biker to do so in every case. Unless you each are surprising each other around a corner (in which case, it's jump as jump can), "difficulty" is not the issue. To my mind, it's probably best for both parties to make an effort to get out of each other's way. Technically, the pedestrian (runner/walker) has the right-of-way. But judging from the mix of responses on this board, it sounds like the "proper" thing to do has more to do with the temperament of the runner or biker than with any technicalities about right-of-way.

Right on Hereford...

To answer an earlier question, the bikepath I was on has very explicit signs, both at intersections and painted on the pavement to indicate that pedestrians should go against bike traffic. There are only two lanes...not separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists (but that would be nice!) The signs also note that this is a recreational bikepath, which is supposed to discourage Tour de France wanna bes. Also, to be clear, I did not try to pick a fight, but rather was completely surprised by this cyclist. As many have said, I will plan to yield when possible, but am still burned that this guy was so intent on taking me out. My friend got a hairline fracture in her foot trying to step off the pavement...I will have to be more light-footed I guess.
                              To me, it sounds like the following are true in your situation: A) You know the rules of the bike path and are following them B) The rules are retarded C) The cyclist doesn't know the rules, thinks YOU don't know the rules, and is doing what logically makes sense (riding on the right). By pointing, he's also trying to tell you that you should be running on your right. The problem with the rules on your bike path is that cyclists are forced to move into oncoming traffic in order to get around a runner coming straight at them. They either have to move into oncoming traffic, or come to a complete stop. They might have very little time to do either. The closing time for a runner approaching a cyclist head-on is very short. If, instead, everyone just stayed to the right, cyclists who overtake runners have much more time to either stop or move into oncoming traffic to pass. This is because both are going the same direction. The closing time is therefore significantly longer. The rules on your bike path create a dangerous situation, in my opinion, and should be changed.
                              RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I agree with Dakota - the rule is dangerous. I run more than ride on our local bike path but, when riding, find it significantly more challenging to pass foot traffic on the left. I even have a printed set of running etiqutte guidelines that explicitly state NOT to run into traffic on a bike path. However; it helps when folks can be civil about these things...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."