Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, you can definitely mention Cto5k around here. That's how many of us, myself included, got our starts! Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Cynthia. Planning that even has to be stressful (I know mine was, and it wasn't a big one, by any means). Do you find that running helps keep you level? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yes I am really enjoying how I feel both during and after my runs (even though they are still short), very energized and stress-free. My fiance is signed up to run the 5k with me and he runs quite a bit faster than me so that will help keep me motivated to work on my speed after I finish up Week 9 in C25k. I never thought I would EVER enjoy running but this plan made it so easy all the way through and I really feel like I've accomplished a lot in just 2 months. Thanks for the warm welcome Cool
      ---- Cynthia
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I never thought I would EVER enjoy running but this plan made it so easy all the way through and I really feel like I've accomplished a lot in just 2 months.
        I ran track in HS, but was a sprinter. I HATED running anything more than a single lap of the track, LOL! It's entirely because I never was allowed to ease into gradually longer distances. That is SO key to getting hooked on running. No one wants to do anything that is excruciating for very long. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Hi everyone Smile I have been using the site for about 2 months now, but just noticed the community tab not long ago (what can I say, I'm slow). I'm Laura, a 25 year old vegetarian, living and working in Boston, MA. I've been running for about a year or so now. Started on a treadmill at the gym when the rest of the machines were taken, just doing about 3 miles per workout. Gradually worked up to about 6 miles, then it was spring and I went outside and literally fell completely in love with the sport. All summer I'd get up and do a 7.5 mile loop around the neighborhood at 5 am about 4 times a week, alternating with some trips to the gym. Only recently have I started to get into the competitive community. I've only run 2 races so far- the Race for the Taste 10k in Disney World in October, and the Feaster Five 5 miler on Thanksgiving in Andover, MA. Currently, I'm trying to decide on a marathon for next late August/early September. I want something rather fun, warmer temps, and a great vacation spot. My first half marathon I have planned for April/May (I really, really can't deal with cold temperatures). I cross train quite frequently, taking spinning, cardioboxing, and plyometrics and occassionally using the elliptical machine or taking pilates. I started running to lose weight and it definitely worked- I've lost 40-50 pounds in the past year (depending on when you weigh me haha!). I never knew I'd develop such an obsession with the sport that I limit myself to two glasses of wine just so I can get up and run the next morning. Shocked
            Wow Laura, that's a great weight loss! You should be proud! Did you watch your diet or count calories too or was it strictly from the exercise?
            ---- Cynthia
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I started running to lose weight and it definitely worked- I've lost 40-50 pounds in the past year (depending on when you weigh me haha!). I never knew I'd develop such an obsession with the sport that I limit myself to two glasses of wine just so I can get up and run the next morning. Shocked
              WTG! I am totally jealous of that...I started running to lose weight and gained (some muscle, of course, but there's fat in there, too)! Good thing I still want to keep going! Good luck on your search for a marathon. The newish Grand Rapids, MI one is fun, but not really a vacation destination and I can be pretty chilly in late Oct. If it were a month or two earlier it would probably fit the bill and you could always rent a nice beach house on Lake MI, less than an hour from the race. k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I never knew I'd develop such an obsession with the sport that I limit myself to two glasses of wine just so I can get up and run the next morning. Shocked
                Welcome aboard, Laura! Yeah, I can't believe it when I decide not to have another beer (and go to bed early also) so I can have a good early morning run... don't we runners know how to party? hehe Big grin
                  I guess I'm following in Laura's footsteps........... Wink I've been using the site for about 9 months or so, but haven't really made use of the forums. I figure it's time to come out of hiding. I'm a 25 year old stay at home mother of 2 little boys. I started running about 16 months ago, about 2 months after I had my second baby. I had started losing weight before the pregnancy and wanted to continue the trend. I hit goal about 3 months ago, with a total loss of 90 pounds. Running has been instrumental in getting me there. I started out walking 3 minutes, running 30 seconds, and now I am running my first marathon on January 7 (knock on wood; some injuries lately have me concerned.) It's nice to meet everyone, and hopefully I'll see you around!
                  "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

90#s... That is outstanding! I'm amazed at all the folks who start running to lose weight and then lose a TON. Running is hard enough, but to do it when hauling all that extra poundage has to really add challenge. I never would have given it a go until I got within the "healthy" weight range (I had lost 50#s before I even started). You guys are truly inspiring! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow! Missed a lot while on vacation! Welcome to all of you and thanks for de-lurking! Looking forward to more of your insights, experiences, celebrations, victories, smaller waist sizes, worn out running shoes... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lynn, that's what you get for going on vacation...no one is allowed to leave RA, didn't you know that? This is like the Hotel California! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Mishka-old log

Hi. I used to run alot. Then not so much, then not at all. I always stayed competitive with something though (triathlon/cycling). I'm back at it in 2007, gearing up for some big PRs from 5k to marathon.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Mishka! May 2007 be a great running year for you! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Hello all, my name is Justin. I live in Toledo, OH. I have been seriously running for about 2 years now after 11 years of putzing around with various things since track and cross-country in high school. I love it! Just the way hammering out 5 or 6 miles makes me feel is worth coming back for another day. I completed my first marathon on October 22 in Chicago and I have to say it was an AWESOME experience! Now I'm just running to maintain fitness until I'm finished writing my dissertation. Priorities...
                              Running is a mental sport, and we are all insane! --Unknown

madness baby

Welcome, Justin! This is such a great site, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are a few of us on here trying to finish our dissertations, so you're in good company (though some of us might have the big D lower on the priority list than it seems you do). Best of luck to you in your writing. And congrats on your first marathon! I'm considering running my first in March, possibly just a few weeks before I am likely to defend. Priorities. . .
                                deb