Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Chicago 26.2 07

Hi I'm Larry and live in Illinois. Just started Running in Septemeber and hope to run the Chicago next October. I haven't worked out seriously in 25 years. I am averaging around 12 mi a week pushing for 20 a week. So I joined the 1000 mi club. I guess I have big goals. You are all inspirational. I probably qualify for the Jiggly Joggers too, but I'm too vain to join. I am planning my first 10 mile practice run next weekend.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I probably qualify for the Jiggly Joggers too, but I'm too vain to join.
      C'mon in...we'll tell you you look great and keep you on track--if you need vanity stokin', we're the ones to do it! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I am so embarrassed that I haven't introduced myself yet! I guess 5 months isn't too late, is it? My name's Carol, and I'm a Canadian living in Southern California, about halfway between LA and Palm Springs. I've been running for about 6 years, started when my hubby was running after he quit smoking and he entered some races and they seemed like fun. I was a totally non-athletic person up till then, but generally thin. I've done a whole mess of 5 and 10Ks, 2 half marathons, and 2 full marathons, 5 sprint triathlons and some bike events. I mostly enjoy running trails, as there are still a few of them that haven't been turned into tract homes around here. Gotta watch for snakes in the summer, though. I also cycle and do yoga, and have dabbled in triathlon but I am not particularly a swimmer! Oh yeah, and there's this underground adventure racing group in these parts that goes thrashing around in the bush a few times a year, and I sometimes thrash around with them. As I mentioned, my hubby's an athlete too, although he doesn't run anymore due to numerous injuries, so he's mainly into cycling and weightlifting. So anyway, that's me, and thanks to Eric and everyone who makes RA awesome - you've really helped me over my motivation problems from last year and I'm looking forward to my best running year ever! Carol
        1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
          Hey guys, I'm Vicki - I'm 25 and I live in Marlow in the UK. I've been using the site for a couple of month now - mostly to record in glorious technicolour my laziness as huge gaps appear in my running graph and am determined that 2007 is my year to actually enter that half-marathon and become what I deem in my head to be 'a runner'. My first task on this agenda is to stop being scared of the forums and actually post and say hi to all you guys as you seem to have a great community going on here and hopefully some of you would like to take on the job of kicking my ass if the gaps in my training log get to big again as I have realised over the years that self-motivation is a quality I just don't have!! Good Luck to everyone else for their 2007 goals too Smile Vicki
          "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green

You'll ruin your knees!

Hi Larry, Hi Carol, Hi Vicki (love the pic!), It's a simple 12 step process...lace up the shoes and go 12 steps out the door and you have the hardest part behind you! Welcome and post early and often! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Carol and Vicki! Vicki, I'm a little-too-pudgy mom of 1 who started really running last March at 33 (I had been a sprinter in HS, but avoided running more than 2-3 miles at all costs) and ran my first glorious (but slow) HM this past Oct...you can do this! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

WOw Kirsten I didnt realize you just started running last year, you've made awesome progress. Smile
                ---- Cynthia
                  Well here I am: Sean, 22, Ohio. ... Oh wait, you want more? Ok, well I've been running competitively for (quite literally) half my life until last spring. Every season through junior high, through high school, through college, I was either competing or training for the next season. So when I had nothing to train for last spring, I just let running drop from my life. ... Eight months and several self-destructive habits later, I feel something's missing and am starting the long road back. ... Sooo....I originally thought I would not race until 2008, buuuuut that was before I found out this week about a series of races in my area... TRAIL RACES.....I'm sorry, but the thought of trail racing is just too orgasmic for me to pass up. Did I mention I'm a trail junkie? OK, so I swear off road races till 2008, when I might move to marathon and ultra country, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. C'est tout. I like this site a lot and.... yeah, the onset of addiction is making my work suffer . I'm a newspaper reporter, btw. -Sean
                    Thanks Kirsten and Lynn I was feeling so much better about this until Sean came along and made me feel all weak and feeble again LOL! There's nothing for it now but to hit the road and start wathcing those miles clock up (gulp!)... V xx
                    "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WOw Kirsten I didnt realize you just started running last year, you've made awesome progress. Smile
                      Thanks...mostly I just kept increasing my mileage at a safe pace each week and not letting much of anything deter me from my workouts. Someone on here is famous for saying "runners run." I keep that in mind a lot of times when I just don't want to go out (easy to slack this time of year when the weather is cold and gross) or think there might be something better on TV--there's not. The funny thing is I started this to lose weight and haven't lost anything...but I've gained a sport that I like taking part in on a regular basis and have likely benefitted my health in other less-visible ways, so I'm still ahead of the game! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I promised to post a link to a recent manuscript but you need a paid subscription to view the article. Instead, I am posting the abstract. For those interested, I can give you an e-mail address and send the full manuscript. Happy reading! Justin Congenic Strains Confirm Aerobic Running Capacity Quantitative Trait Loci on Rat Chromosome 16 and Identify Possible Intermediate Phenotypes Justin A. Ways1, Brian M Smith2, John Christopher Barbato3, Ramona S Ramdath4, Krista M Pettee4, Sarah J DeRaedt4, David C Allison2, Lauren Gerard Koch5, Soon Jin Lee6, and George T. Cicila7* We previously identified two inbred rat strains divergent for treadmill aerobic running capacity (ARC), the low performing Copenhagen (COP) and the high performing DA rats, and used an F2(COPxDA) population to identify ARC quantitative trait loci (QTLs) on rat chromosome 16 (RNO16) and the proximal portion of rat chromosome 3 (RNO3). Two congenic rat strains were bred to further investigate these ARC QTLs by introgressing RNO16 and the proximal portion of RNO3 from DA rats into the genetic background of COP rats and were named COP.DA(chr 16) and COP.DA(chr 3), respectively. COP.DA(chr 16) rats had significantly greater ARC compared to COP rats (696.7±38.2 m vs. 571.9±27.5 m, P=0.03). COP.DA(chr 3) rats had increased, although not significant, ARC compared to COP rats (643.6±40.9 m vs. 571.9±27.5 m). COP.DA(chr 16) rats had significantly greater subcutaneous abdominal fat, as well as decreased fasting triglyceride levels, compared to COP rats (P<0.05), indicating that genes responsible for strain differences in fat metabolism are also located on rno16. while this colocalization of qtls may be coincidental, it is also possible that these differences in energy balance may be associated with the superior running performance of cop.da(chr 16) consomic rats. indicating="" that="" genes="" responsible="" for="" strain="" differences="" in="" fat="" metabolism="" are="" also="" located="" on="" rno16.="" while="" this="" colocalization="" of="" qtls="" may="" be="" coincidental,="" it="" is="" also="" possible="" that="" these="" differences="" in="" energy="" balance="" may="" be="" associated="" with="" the="" superior="" running="" performance="" of="" cop.da(chr="" 16)="" consomic="" rats.=""></0.05), indicating that genes responsible for strain differences in fat metabolism are also located on rno16. while this colocalization of qtls may be coincidental, it is also possible that these differences in energy balance may be associated with the superior running performance of cop.da(chr 16) consomic rats. >
                        Running is a mental sport, and we are all insane! --Unknown
                        Mildred

Hi, I finally got round to browsing the forums after using The Site for the last two months. Thought I should introduce myself too. First of all though, and I don't mean to just jump on the band-wagon but thanks for a great site Eric. More than once now it has helped me get off my a*%e and go for a run... damn those little bar charts!!! Big grin So, where do I start? I'm 27 years old, female, and although I have been 'running' for about 10 years now by virtue of the fact I'm in the British Army; I've only been running since last April when I went for it and entered the New York City Marathon. That was to be my one and only Marathon - hence choosing New York, but although I was complaining all the way through my training that I hadn't caught 'The Bug', I think I now have. I still class myself as very much a beginner though. My next target is a trail half-marathon at the end of March and I'm now trying to get out of the mindset of running far not fast, and attempting to move it up a gear. Well that'll do, I don't want to bore you all. Nice to meet all you friendly people. Cheers! G x
                            I've been using the site since August and have posted a bit, but never introduced myself so I figured I should. I'm Shaunna, and I'm a grad student living in Miami now for 3 years, but I grew up in CT and went to college in MA so I'm a transplanted New Enlgander. Yup, I'm another one who is unmotived to finish my research but motived to run Smile I've always been active, a dancer all through school and some fun indoor track running in high school, but I didn't really get the running bug until my junior year in college. I signed up for my first 5K and LOVED it even though my training just consisted of adding .1 miles every 3 days on the treadmil. I continued my normal 3-4 mile runs after that for a few years until I moved in with my husband and my eating habits fell apart (I just ate whatever he did, which for a tall skinny none-active guy is quite different from what I needed!) I gained about 15 pounds, and was having a really hard time losing it since I'm hypothyroid. Anyways, I decided to get serious about fitness again and started training for a sprint triathlon last spring. I ended up competing in 3 tri's over the summer and got hooked! Despite having the most running experience, it was my weakest event (maybe cause it's last!) so I knew that I had to work on my speed and distance if I ever wanted to compete in a longer tri. I absolutely love the multisport training and know I will be a triathlete for life, with an ultimate goal to finish an ironman. I'm registered for a half ironman in Nov. '07. I was supposed to run my first half marathon on Jan. 28th (Miami ING) but ended up with a stress fracture in my foot which I am just healing from now, so I won't be running it at all. But next year I'm planning to run the full. Well that's me! I love this site, it just helps to make the running addiction stronger!
                            ariel41

I've been using this site for so long and didn't realize how many people actually post on these forums. I have some catching up to do I guess. Anyway, I'm Ariel, 20, from Buffalo although I spend most of my time in New York at NYU. I'm actually primarily a figure skater but freshman year of college I decided I wanted to try running since my mom used to be a big runner until she broke one of her knees skiing, then the OTHER one in the exact same place again skiing 15 years later. Did the couch to 5k program freshman year of college but didn't really know where to go from there so I just about quit running altogether. Then in 2005, I decided to do our local Turkey Trot 8k and managed to get through it in something like 47 minutes. When I went home to look at the results, I found out my mom had done the same race 10 years earlier in 40:08 so my goal immediately became to beat her time. Started training for it in August, ran a 38:41 for the race and I was hooked for good. Big grin So I've really only been running seriously since August and I was up to about 30 mpw until I got hit with bad shin splints followed by getting my wisdom teeth out, so I'm trying to get back to that level and start training for my half marathon in May!
                              OverAnalyzer

Hello! My name is Lisa and I am getting back in the proverbial saddle here. I have not run more than a mile in almost a year thanks to the miracle of childbearing.....I swore I was going to be one of 'those' women who ran races until her due date. A scary first trimester beat that out of me quickly. By the time I delivered I could barely climb the three flights of stairs to my office. Roll eyes Pre-pregnancy, I ran one full marathon, and a dozen half-marathon/20Ks and many shorter races from 5Ks to 10Ks. I am by no means speedy, but I enjoy both the stress-relieving aspect of running and the sheer fat burning. Other than running, I 'used to' do Pilates religiously, and I'd just started doing some weight training about six months before getting pregnant. Now, I have about 20-25 lbs 'extra' -- 37 lbs if I'm calculating based on my 'skinniest ever post marathon everything in my closet fits' weight. For the next month, I'm working on getting back to at least a 3-4 mile training base. At that point I hope to start training for Dam to Dam, which is a 20K. (www.damtodam.com -- AWESOME race!) Provided that goes well I'll start scheming for a fall marathon. So that is me. I can use all the motivation I can get!!!!! (And thanks to kooky2003 for referring me to this really cool site....gotta figure out all the features of the training log now.....)