Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

The Floor Walker

Well, I suppose I should introduce myself seeing as how I've already been posting like crazy. I'm a 26 year old male from Boston and currently running with the HFC Striders Track Club. I just started what I call my "comeback" last December after a 5 year layoff from college running. I've decided that I'm really a marathoner at heart and will be basing most of my training for marathoning. I'll be running my first marathon the end of October (cape cod marathon) hopefully qualifying for Boston which I plan on running in '06. I'm really liking this small knit community of runners on this website, it's such a breath of fresh air compared to letsrun. I think it's really neat that we can view each others logs, this will be great for comparing our training methods. Good luck for everyone running fall marathons, be sure to comeback and let us know how y'all did! Matt

Into the wild

Hello Matt... welcome, nice to meet you. Johnny

Shut up and run

Was it all a dream?

Hello all, my name is Ben, and I'm 21 years old. I'm orginally from Rockford, IL, but in recent years I've spent most of my time in Champaign, IL where I go to school (U of I). However, this semester I'm working/living in Louisville, KY. I played soccer and swam competively throughout high school, but since I'd had my fill of swimming and getting a group together to play soccer was usually overly complicated, I began running to stay in shaped when I started college in 2002. That fall, I went to see my sister run the Chicago marathon, and I decided that next year I'd be running instead of watching. Since then, I've ran the chicago marathon (twice), boston marathon, and the Paavo Nurmi marathon (small, but amazing well organized race in Hurley, Wisconsin). I'm running the Louisville marathon in 2 weeks, and the NYC marathon three weeks after that. Well, I guess that's me, the runner, in a nut shell. I hope everyone's training is going well. -Ben
        JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Hi All, I am soon to be 50 (ugh) and I'm just getting back into running after some injuries precipitated a ten year layoff. Currently I am training to run the Long Beach Half Marathon this January. We'll see how it goes from there and see if I have the urge to run any more marathons. Ive run Grandma's twice and Twin Cities twice before I took my long break. Since I did most of my earlier running in the cold and evil weather of Minnesota I am enjoying training here in beautiful Orange County, California, my new home. Thanks Eric, for the Running Log! Smile Jerry

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Ben, I couldn't help but chuckle at your statement "I guess that's me, the runner, in a nut shell." I keep thinking that phrase might be modified just a bit to represent me...a nut in a runner shell! 8 Ball Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You'll ruin your knees!

Jerry, I also took a decade (an then some) off after running a few marathons and having an injury (doc said to give up running Angry). I listened for 12 years and now I 'm back in it neck deep (and have been for 4 years)! Good luck in your training and keep us posted on your progress! Oh, by the way, I happen to be a mature runner as well..."ugh"... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

gimme some sugar, baby

I'll introduce myself as well. I'm George, I'm currently 20 and I'm running with a group of guys that call ourselves Team Blitz at the college of william and mary. I was on the track team my freshman year but due to not running fast enough and being injured all the time I got cut. No hard feelings though... those guys were really fast and I've improved a lot since leaving the team. I really love this site, though. I think it's still a "secret" on the internet, but I bet there will be tons of people begging for accounts someday soon. Eric is awesome.
                George: Runner/Law Student
                www.gimme-five.com
                  George - When do you plan on doing a marathon? My sense is that you would post some pretty good times at that distance.
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

gimme some sugar, baby

Thinking about doing one this spring, in Virginia Beach (Shamrock Sportsfest I think it's called). We'll see though... I need to work on getting my mileage up and I seem to break whenever I get over 60 miles per week... although I'm taking a small stab at the 60 barrier this week...
                    George: Runner/Law Student
                    www.gimme-five.com

Dog-Love

Looks like pretty much a "guy" forum, but I just found Eric's site and am keen on tracking the miles and seeing what other people do to train and keep focused. I used to run really fast (7 minute/miles for a half marathon) but now with 2 kids and a career I find myself ecstatic when I run a sub 9 minute 10K. For the past year I have been running amazing trails in Juneau AK and am getting a darn good base, but am still fairly lazy and don't really push it. Heading for Orlando in a week to run a half marathon and will probably freak out at so many people in the field. Our Juneau marathon never gets more than 200 people so it should be an interesting race. Is it possible to be 47 years old and run fast again???? Surprised
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      Jlanza

Here are the Half Marathon results for one of the fastest 46 eyar olds here in NJ: Liberty Waterfront Half, Jersey City, NJ 9/25/05 119.Beth Moras Ridgewood,NJ 46 F U 1:31:54 7:01 15/323 F45-49:2/34 78.0% 6/130 That's 119/962, preparing for New York, where she ran 3:16 on a hot day, finishing 4th in her age group. Yeah, it's possible!
                          Hi to all, My name is Robian. I'm 23 and from Minneapolis, MN. I started running a year ago in January of 2005 when I decided that I wanted to run a marathon. I ran the 24th annual Twin Cities Marathon in 5:30:37. My only goal was to finish. During the training, I expierenced 6 shin splints all in the same left shin. I would like to use this website to help me train better and hopefully be injury free for this years Twin Cities Marathon. My best friend and his wife (as of December 30, 2005) cheered me on in October and decied that they too want to run it with me this year. Im hoping, when I have questions, people on this website would be willing to help me out and answer them if possible. I'm glad I found this site!
                            Hi I'm lisa from Ohio and I started running in 2001 - four marathons and got a lot slower last year with some foot surgery. Training for a 1/2 in the spring and hopefully a fall one too! And yep - I'm one of those 'mature' (48) runners...
                            Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Robian and welcome to this forum! Thanks for posting information about your running. Great job on overcoming the "pains" to get to the finish of TC! Not much better feeling than to cross the finish line knowing just how far you've come. I am also excited to hear that the running "bug" has caught on with your family/friends...sometimes it takes someone close to you to help get you motivated to get those shoes laced up! If you are still battling shin splints, I would recommend a shoe check. Are you tracking the mileage of your shoes (this site will really help with that)? Are you wearing the right shoes? If you are not sure, I would suggest you visit a serious running store (not the discount variety) and speak with a qualified person who can match your body type, foot profile, running gait, etc, to the right shoe. There should be plenty to chose from in Minneapolis/St Paul. They will ask you lots of questions and will probably want to watch you walk/run in just your socks (and clothes, of course) to determine how you plant your foot. This could very likely help you to run injury free! Another thing, if you haven't already tried, I would suggest you check at that same running store into running clinics, particularly marathon training plans. These are geared to help you build mileage without the painful injuries that can cause big setbacks and take away from the overall experience! Anyway, I am glad you found this site as well! Welcome and please keep us posted as to your progress and how your friends are doing! Regards, Lynn B

Hi, I got to know this place throgugh a related ad on my blog. I hails from Singapore. I'm 43, male with 2.5 years of running experience. I 've completed 2 full marathon (both in Singapore). If any of you are ever in Singapore and want to run here, just give me a holler and me and my buddy at our singapore runners forum will be glad to run with you. Cheers

www.runningsucks.blogspot.com