Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Merry Christmas, I thought I would jump in here and introduce myself.....I just started running in October, I'm in the 9th week of the Couch to 5k program. I'm 54 years old and never ran before! Barb
    Barb, congratulations are in order both for your weight loss and your fitness quest. Beware that running is addictive as is the enthusiasm and motivation of the folks you'll meet along the way. I started jogging in '94 ONLY to lose some weight but at the insistance of my daughter (then 11), I ended up entering a race. As they say, the rest is history. Happy Holidays to you and yours and may 2008 be the start of a new life for you. Please post on the daily/weekly threads we have going on.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Maggie & Molly

Hey all ~~ well, who am I... I'm a 40 (for another month anyway) yr old woman that started running several years ago to lose weight after I quit smoking. Ran and did kickboxing - love both. Lost 50 pounds but would love to lose another 25 or so. My running has been sporatic though due to all kinds of things including life. My goal is to make running my maintaining factor and fit the rest in as it goes. I've been hanging out at this site for uhm, lets see, a day and I'm loving it. Nice job Eric. Anyway, that is the quick of who I am.....

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Like some of the other posters, I am a late-onset athlete Smile. I began running almost 3 years ago after sitting on the couch most of my life looking at runners and wondering why they ran. I started running at 48, 5 years after completing therapy for cancer (surgery, radiation and chemo). I read an article that said exercise, especially aerobic exercise, reduces the risk of cancer recurrence. So off I went! As I build my base (and now I think I know what that means) I have tackled a few 5ks, getting better each time and I have started on longer runs which I really enjoy. I was at CR and appreciate everyone's patience here at RA as we assimilate into your site. You've all been very welcome so far considering how it must feel uncomfortable to be inundated by all these new people. But most of the CR's are really great people and extremely helpful and supportive. I don't think I would have gotten this far without all their help. Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I also have moved over from CR. I started running 4 years ago at the age of 52. I have run 2 marathons, 2 half-marathons, a few 8k's and a number of 5k's. I am slow but steady and hope to continue running for many more years. Jackie

Jackie

Froggy the webby guy

Hi, all fm a Canadian CR refugee also, Seem to be the onus on running CR is not so cool anymore. I'm from Quebec Canada, and we have a lot of that white beautiful snow, since my lungs won't let me run outside under 5 degree celsius, and my mind is agreeing with my lungs, I am a Winter treadmiller with a 53" Big screen TV, great for running and watching Hockey. Just use log to see whether or not I'm falling on the way side, i.e. canadian/beer/hockey mean I have to run. I have been running most of my life, former sprintster turn longer distance. I do the Ottawa ING 1/2 marathon for the last 5 or 6 years, lost track.. I work rotating shift hard to get a real proper running schedule (lack of consistency) so will stick with 1/2..\ take care Yves In every frogs sleep a gentle dragon!!
            Great white north, not so great in winter

,I run cause I can, take care we care.

Yves

jfa

Hi All, I'll jump in here. First of all, I want to once again say Thank You to Eric for a Great Site. Big grin I'm 48yy,live by the NJ coast.Back in a former life(when I was in my 20's) I was in very good shape.Fastforward about 25years.I quit smoking and started walking to get in shape.I was doing well but walking took a long time and was boring.A very good and accomplished runner friend of mine came from Reno to run the Boston marathon last year and turned me onto Cool Running.The C25k converted me from walker to runner,and I haven't looked back since.I have been doing 30mpw for about 2 months and have my long run out to 13 miles.Simply astonishing for me to realize all that I can do! Great thread and Great site!!!! Smile

47 year old farming for a living in ND. Like many others, I migrated here from CR, where I was 1CandoKid. The rest of my family also followed me over - all of our names start with Cando - where we are from! I run because I enjoy the challenges and goals I set, trying to stay in shape, it is a good stress outlet - and I would like to see how close I can get my times to the good old high school days! Smile After the takeover at CR - this looks like a great site to hang my hat!! Pat
                HOSS1961

Hey Lynn! I am training for the Shamrock in VA Beach March 16th. I am relatively new to running (@20 months) but completed my 1st marathon in November (Richmond Sun Trust) and loved it. It is a great race! Big grin Oh yeah...46 years young and came here from the CR site as well! Cool
                  HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                    Hello! I live in San Diego County, CA. Soon to be 45 yo mother of two. Husband and I are training for Carlsbad 2008. I have run it twice before, but that was awhile back. After sitting around getting fat and sassy, we decided to get back on track, so to speak. We joined a local running/marathon training group, once which we had been a part of before, in July to train for this upcoming marathon. On the negative side, we didn't lose any weight, but the positive side is--I now remember how much I enjoued being out and running..the longer the distance, the better! It had been, and is now again, my therapy! Sad to say, my time is about 2 minutes slower than it was our first times doing this. I think our goal this time was to just get off the couch--no real goal of a PR or anything...just to get out there. Now that we are fairly close to race day, we are starting to think beyond January 20...What will be next?
                    Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                    EB10

Hi Lynn, My name is Elliot, I live in Lakewood, Ca. I've been running for about 30 years, since high school. I try to run 8 to 9 races a year. PR for the marathon is 3:19, that was a "few" years ago. I turned 50 last week so I celebrated by running the Long beach marathon in Oct. Not happy with my time, so I'll be there again this year. I am an air traffic controller and work rotating shifts, so it is hit and miss when I get my runs in. I run for the fun and how it makes me feel, but for those of you that have lost weight or have battled or currently battling an illness, my hat is off to you, that is what a champion is all about!!!! Keep running...
                        Transitioning from Cool Running. My brother is Candokid1, who has led the pack of us. I've been an at-home mom the last few years, and really loving being able to run on a regular basis. I've done about 6 marathons and a few half-marathons in the last couple years. I'm 45 years old, seeing if I can improve, but also trying to find the balance to not get sidelined with injuries. Plans for this year are Fargo ND marathon in May, and New York in November. I'll throw a few shorter races in there during the summer months, and probably one half marathon as well. Dealing with North Dakota winters is not so much fun, but I love to run; so deal with it I do! I'm thankful for this cite. CandoBurn
                          Hi. I'm Tim from Indianapolis. Former CR resident (but I fell off the wagon after losing my laptop to a job change...) I 'm 49 and started back to running in Jul. '06. I've been doing pretty well but my weight ballooned this summer and I didn't get the races in that I intended. Roll eyes Anyway, great site and I'm going to be a more regular visitor--hopefully with some race reports! Big grin TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Lia's Daddy

Wow! I'm so glad I found this website. I was disillusioned by what happened to CR (even though I wasn't much more than a lurker there) and went looking for a new place to call home. I have only been running seriously for about a year. I have run three half marathons (all in the 1:50's) and a few other shorter races. I just finished a three week hiatus trying to recover from a calf injury. My last two runs have felt pretty good so I think I'm back. My goal is to run the Flying Pig in Cincinnati, OH in May. Oh yeah, I live in Asheville, NC so I get to do a lot of hill work! Feel free to check out my profile if you want to know more about me. I look forward to getting to meet some of you!
                            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

You'll ruin your knees!

Well, howdy Hoss, Gidget, Tim, Bob Cando(yournamehere) and EB10...all the rest as well! Glad you found us! Seems to be settling down a bit after the mad rush. Lots of good questions and good answers and smiles. Please keep us posted on your training/racing progress. See you on the forums/groups! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

bap

Never fear, bigapplepie is here Evil grin

Certified Running Coach
                                Crocked since 2013