Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

Hey Everyone, I'm Richard. I'm have lived in Northwest Ohio my whole life. I'm 54 years old. My oldest son made me a Grandpa on Feb. 11. I started running when I was 50. I am the local high school soccer coach. I decided I needed to get in shape to keep up with the high school kids. Even though I didn't plan for it. I have lost 90 lbs since I started running. My "best" race was a 1:21:30, 10 miler. It's not my fastest, but it's my favorite. I would like to run a marathon soon, but I'm a little concerned about whether I can finish. I run about 45 - 50 miles per week. I guess I could make it if I was careful. My son is a great runner. He finished 8th in the 2nd Akron Marathon. He's been injured for the last 1 1/2 years. He;s back running now so maybe he can get into that 2:20 - 2:30 range. My wife coedn't understand my running, but she's tolerant of it. I work at Sauder Woodworking making Ready-To-Assenble furniture. My current job is Packaging Engineer. I spent the first 30 years of my career as a Quality Manager. I was one of the Cool Running dudes. I like RA better. I never would have found RA if CR didn't do the Active thing. I realy like feeling like part of the community here.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Hi there everybody! Another former CR fan slooow to clue in to this fantastic place. I loved Cool Running when I found it and was really upset when it morphed into a "professional" faceless bulletin board. So I've been looking for a "kinder gentler" forum ever since and I really like this one (great job Eric) - so here goes! I'm Heather from Georgia (originally from Canada). I just turned 37 and I first started running 11 years ago after my Dad passed away suddenly. It used to be my place to remember my Dad and evolved into something as important to me as breathing. Running has always been my private solitude and stress relief and you'll think I'm crazy, but I've never competed. I do have a competitive streak though, so you never know. Running is a foreign concept in my family and everyone back home just doesn't "get it" which can be upsetting. For instance, when I finally got my Garmin no one wanted to hear about it Sad My DH is terrific though and listens to me blather on about running this and running that, even though the concept is alien to him too. Any road. I've re-started several times as life has gotten in the way over the years. I also had a nasty calf muscle tear last July that put me completely out of the game for awhile. Not being able to run was horrible! So these days I'm taking it easy at about 20 mpw and just loving it. Thanks for listening - I need a Running Community! ~ Fly
      ~ Fly ~
      Only as much as I dream can I be.
      veggies on the run
      mheaton

I'm Melissa. I used to be on coolrunning... but, alas, it is no longer. No I am a marathoner... who's let running take a backseat to my daughter for about a year. I'm ready to get back to it!!! I miss the 30-somethings... boohoo.. Melissa mheaton

Beer Drinker

im salad. im running the pct 50 tomorrow in san diego. i shall be in pain on sunday.
          Start off easy, then slow down.
            "Start off easy, then slow down." That's me. Hello. Going to Chicago with 45,000+ of my close friends this fall. But who's counting?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Rwnyce" I run about 45 - 50 miles per week." Finishing a marathon with your weekly mileage should not be a problem. predicting a time might a challenge. Chicago is right around the corner. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

amulkey5

Hey all, I'm new here, just thought I'd introduce myself... My name is Atticus, I'm 17 years old and have recently started running again after taking most of the winter off because I was on a basketball team. My best 5K race time is 22 Min. but that was last year. I'm hoping to run a 5K on Sat and I will be sure to post my new time... I mostly like the short races, not really into marathons and 10Ks. Although, my uncle Eddy was an ultra marathon runner.
                popcorn

I'm Danielle, and I miss the old CR as well. I surfed here awhile back, but guess I never got around to registering. Life has been crazy busy for the last 4 months (moving, start a new job in 1 month with a ton of new responsibilities, trying to sell old house, etc) and I am sorry to say I've been slacking in my running. I put 3 HM under my belt Nov/Dec/Jan, and since then took a bit of an unscheduled break. Ok, so I kept running, but the runs got to be far more spaced out than I'd like. I need to set another goal and pick another race... and find another community... which is why I'm here. My new house is in a much better area for cycling, so I have to get my distances back up. (I'm moving to the middle of nowhere, and the smallest loop I can make is 5 miles.) That used to be my average run. I was a cyclish before going to running, so I am happ to have a place to ride again. Danielle
                  RunLuluRun

Hi all, I'm Luisa, 20 y/o female, Brazilian living in Chapel Hill, NC. I've been running almost 4 years, I have run two half-mary's (1:51:52; 1:51:13). I had bunion surgery on my right foot last year, got a little lazy after a quick recovery and just stopped running altogether for 3 months. I'm back at it now, ironically stronger than ever with an unexpected two-week-and-completely-back-in-shape beginning. And so since I've decided that I'm built for running, I have big plans and goals. One is to improve my half-mary time by a lot, try out my speed at a 5k, run a full marathon, eventually BQ...and such. Great to see everyone's running backgrounds, you're all an inspiration. Happy running
                      Hi! I'm Thibaut, 32 years old, from Arras in the north of France ( http://www.nordmag.fr/nord_pas_de_calais/arras/arras_illuminations_1.jpg ) . I never did a whole lot of sports, especially not running (hated it when I was at school and almost obese.) I have no specific health issues, I'm just a little overweight. I began to run two month ago, not really following the C25k but close enough... I can now run for about an hour which I'm rather proud of... now trying to get better times than 6.25/km on average. My first contact with motivational running advices was in this thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2837244&pagenumber=1 ) and it's also where I heard from here. And here is perfect to get the good work and motivation up Smile
                      Carly E

Carly

I'm 16 years OLD. haha. And I run cross country at my high school. I love the coach and my teammates. I don't know how I would live without them or this sport. Short and sweet. :] that's all.
                        Running is like Mouthwash; if you feel the burn, it's working.
                        AroundTheHorn

Hey all. I'm 28 years old and I'm from Houston Texas. I run 20 to 25 miles per week. Im also into weight lifting (sometimes the two don't mix) but I find myself enjoying running more these days. I look forward to browsing the site. Thanks Wink
                          Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                          BigOwie

Well.......that happened

Hello all!! Been using the site for about 2 months now. So I guess its time to introduce myself. I'm Chuck. 30 years old, living in central Indiana. On-again, off-again runner since junior high. The latest off-again lasting 7-8 years. This time the motivation was nearing the 215 lb. number. So I run, because I know that if I do it for at least a few months consistantly, I'll get addicted again. My work schedule makes getting workouts in difficult. (4 on, 4 off, 12 hour shifts) But I've done alright so far. My first race back was a 5 miler two weeks ago, it went well. Schedule shows me doing a 5k this weekend. It says so, so it must be true. This site has been the best training partner I could have ever asked for. Reading all of your posts and race logs, victories, struggles, and how you've overcome them, is inspiring to say the least. Thanks to everyone for just being here. I enjoy the stories.
                            sabend

Hi, all! I joined this site this past May when I decided to start running when I got home from school for the summer. That plan failed miserably when I caught a bad cold, and then when my dog got really, really sick. Now that I've moved to the city, though, and one of my school friends has decided that we're going to be running buddies, I'm getting back into it for real. I've NEVER in my life been in good shape. In middle and high school, I couldn't run the mile without stopping to walk, and since graduating and going to college, I've been too busy to start running. So many people will say, "Not true! You can easily make time for it!" But when you're NOT in shape, and you're NOT a runner at all, it's SO hard to get into it for real! You go once or twice, and then you just stop when life gets in the way. Now that I've got great courses I can run (all over Medford and Somerville, MA), with lots of sights and people and hills, it's finally INTERESTING to run! Back home in the boonies, there were very few courses I could take, and they were very, very boring. Somehow, my new setting has helped me enjoy running immensely. While you wonderful people are discussing marathons and 10Ks and shoes and such, my current goal is to be able to run my current course without stopping. It's 1.2 miles, but there are some sneaky hills in there, and the course ends with a very, very nasty one! I've made myself run the hill every time, though; I'm only allowed to walk during certain parts, and that's only so I can have the energy to run the hill. My eventual goals are to: - Lose 30-50 lbs - Run the Tufts 10K with my mom next year - Run the Boston Marathon before I die I'm at the very beginning of my running journey, though, so I look to you all for support and inspiration!
                              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome abroad. Slow your pace to a near walk ( I can walk faster) and you will make the distance. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/