Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Mike:

Welcome to RA.  I'm not sure if I met you or not but I know a few members from the ECHO group (Fenton and Nash).  I've met Steve from Bethel as well while riding up to Xenia last year with those guys.  We had a few more people on that ride up as well but I suck with names.  I have this feeling I've met you before but the world is full of Mike's and Michael's.  Maybe it was up to Lifeline.  Anyway, I think you will love the log features of this site.  If you have a garmin it is really easy. 

FYI - I go by ho0mwp on the Bob Ronckers site. 

BearcatRunner, I was there on the ride up to Xenia sitting up front with Fenton. That was the last time we went head-to-head before the Pig. John's a gutsy and talented runner. Thanks for the welcome.

I'm really starting to think a Garmin will be of great use this time around. Hopefully there'll be lots of post-Holiday deals and I'll pick one up. I've been using a Polar RS200SD for about 4 years but the data interface is low-tech (sonic).

Dan1962

I'm here. I'm Dan, from Waltham, Ma., just outside of Boston. Age 47, and specializing in 5Ks. Used to do more 10Ks but the left knee won't permit too many of those any more. Times and placements haven't been as good as in years past but I have no plans to stop any time soon. I still love going out in really adverse conditions - wind, snow, sleet are my friends and motivate me to work harder when things get tough. In the past I've always been a solo runner but this year I'm planning to join a club and work out with other people.
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

BearcatRunner, I was there on the ride up to Xenia sitting up front with Fenton. That was the last time we went head-to-head before the Pig. John's a gutsy and talented runner. Thanks for the welcome.

I'm really starting to think a Garmin will be of great use this time around. Hopefully there'll be lots of post-Holiday deals and I'll pick one up. I've been using a Polar RS200SD for about 4 years but the data interface is low-tech (sonic).

You will love this forum it is very active and full of great information.  I love my garmin but I am very numbers and results driven. 

I was hoping at some point to catch Fenton as he and I are the same age but ever since he started running under 3 hours I have given up on that pipe dream.   Once I get under three hours (that could be a long time) I have some other ideas like doing half and full IronMan's.  I'm going to do Cesars Creek OLY after the PIG. 

2011 Goals:
          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
        grapple.

CAPS LOCK ALL DAY.

I'M TRYING TO BE HERE, BUT EVEN MY INNOCUOUS THREADS KEEP GETTING LOCKED.
          getout87

inappropriate

Savoir c'est pouvoir

I was hoping at some point to catch Fenton as he and I are the same age but ever since he started running under 3 hours I have given up on that pipe dream.   Once I get under three hours (that could be a long time) I have some other ideas like doing half and full IronMan's.  I'm going to do Cesars Creek OLY after the PIG. 

Fenton's been picking off my PRs for the past couple of years. The only distance I have left on him is the 1/2 marathon (and any ultras). Of course his annual training mileage is more than twice mine. I'm going to have to start qualifying my results with WAVA standards if he gets too far ahead 

Which section of the forums here do you find most helpful for marathoners or ultra-marathoners? I'll probably be hangin' with the former boomers over in the Masters section.

Marathon Maniac #957

Greetings Everyone -

I just found RA today while browsing around and liked what I saw.  You all seem to be quite the supportive group.  For the vitals:

My name is Richard and I'm 26 (27 at the end of Nov).  I just finished my first marathon in Columbus this year with a 3:22.  Now that I know I can complete the distance, I plan on getting that time down below 3:10, and hopefully even below 3:00 before too long.  I used the marathon as my distance to get my body back into race shape, as I hadn't raced in about 9 years.

If any of you are in the Midwest/Southwest Ohio area, I'd love to have some company on weekend runs this winter.  I'm in the Greater Dayton area, but just moved here from SoCal, so I still need to see new areas.

Cheers,
                Richard

Richard - I was at Columbus, too!  Except I ran it in 3:50, so I was a bit behind you, but for a woman my age, that's still a BQ...

I live in Miamisburg, and run a lot on the river trail there.  Hey, if you don't have any spring marathon plans,  the ORRRC marathon in Xenia (April 11) is only $25 for registration (till March 1).  Small, low key, well organized, and flat - a very pleasant race.  I've run it the last three years, but this year it's too close to Boston.  I'm also aiming at Another Dam 50K in Englewood June 5.  Also a very low-key, well-organized, trail 50K - very inexpensive as well ($20), but limited to 120 registrants.

I post over in the Master's Forum, and I'm probably way too slow to run with you, but you can e-mail me if you have any questions about the area....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stephersj

Oh wow, I posted on here introducing myself awhile ago, just before my first HM which was in May, and then I forgot to let everyone know how it went.  So, this is really really late...but I really enjoyed my first HM.  I finished it in 2:34 and I was ecstatic about that.

Since then I have had a bit of a rough go what with working full time and going to school part time and in between fitting in 30 hours of observation (I went back to school in August to pick up my teaching certification) and 2009 was a bit of a rough year for me otherwise as well. 

However, I am getting back in the swing of things and planning to use 2010 to build up a nice running base (and try to make it through the semester/student teaching) and my goal is to run my first marathon in 2011. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

am babysitting grand kids in ne atlanta. they have a snow/ice day today so we are trying to get them ready to go out for lunch, then to Trader Joe's (don't have any in TX), and Target. I'll try to get a run in this afternoon once the ice on the sidewalks melts - at least I hope it melts. May have to overcome DW's irrational objections.

MTA: stephersj: Great job on the half!

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

stephersj

Thanks!
                      KayJay99

Hello all! 

I came across this website just today looking for support for my new Forerunner.   I didn't realize there was a forum but everyone sounds so cool here I wanted to jump in and say hi!  (Hopefully I am in the right place to introduce myself...)

Name's Kara and I've been running (off and on) for the majority of my life.  Being in the military I need to stay in some semblance of shape so it kind of motivates me to run.

However, several years back I found that racing 10k's were really fun and had worked my PR from 1:08 down to 48 minutes only to run into knee problems.  Since that time, I have had surgery on both knees (one extensive, the other not so bad)...and have now found that one knee tends to start pinging after about 30-45 minutes of straight running.  This has kind of killed my attempt to return to racing. 

I was pointed into a different direction of trying to mix running and walking and have found my knees have had no problems with this whatsoever.  I've been training this past year for my first marathon (in 3 weeks).   I did try a half on Thanksgiving, and was able to complete it in just under 2 hours.  Although I won't get the times I previously had before the surgeries, I'm finding out that this type of running (with the walk breaks) is much more forgiving on the body and I've had no injuries due to the running since staring this method.  (Nothing can be said about my other workouts and playing with motorcycles that has slowed up or stalled the said training.)

Otherwise, I really enjoy running trails more than anything and have hooked up with a partner to complete a 50k two man relay next month.  I'm kind of jealous of those who can get out on the trails and enjoy the seasons while running...seems my state is in the state of summer flux and can't find it's way out. 

Sorry about the long windedness...love to be in the company of people who understand just how nice getting out and running can be. 

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

welcome kayjay99  You may find some useful Garmin Forerunner info under the 'User Group" tab above and look for Forerunner 405.   Keep running

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Anya here!  Going on day 5 without running, and am going nuts.   There is no where safe to run outside with all this snow here in Annapolis, so I'm screwed.     Wish I still had a treadmill!!!! 

- Anya

gothedistancejan

New to the site.  I am running my first marathon in May.  I am excited with my progress so far! Tomorrow I will run 16 miles on a hilly course with me luck.

Run On!

JT

Milwr

Hi all,

my name is Gareth and I have been using this site for about 2 weeks now. I'm training for Army selection; I think this website is top stuff, I only wish I found it earlier-it's really helped to motivate me!

It also makes excellent reading finding out all about other runners!