Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hi everyone.

I'm a 27 year old female currently living in Columbus, OH. A friend and I randomly decided to do a 5K my Sophomore year in college - neither of us were runners but we were reasonably in shape so we trained for a month and did it. Then we decided we liked running and kept going. So then I'd been running for several years - sometimes I had phases of great consistency, but often... not so much - and the longest I'd ever run at once was 10K, with a theoretical dream in the back of my head of one day running a marathon. Last year I finally decided to stop being such a lazy bum and trained for and ran a half. It was awesome. Then I did 2 more. I'm currently training for the Columbus marathon in October and I'm pretty excited about it

I also bought a road bike last summer and have been getting into that too. I love it but it's not nearly as convenient as running. Really want to do a tri, but my swimming is so weak I think I'll wait til after my marathon to concentrate on training for that properly. Maybe I'll do a duathalon in the meanwhile. Been using the RA logs a while, but hadn't been reading the forums much on recently. Seems like a fun place, so I thought I'd say hey!

"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" ~ Hebrews 12:1 PRs: 5K - 25:03 | 10K - 54:03 | Half Marathon - 2:03:11 | Marathon - 4:47:17

cesarv

Hello fellow runners,

My name is Cesar. I am 30 years old. I currently reside in Los Angeles, CA. For as long as I can remember, I've had a love/hate relationship with running. I liked to run, but for some reason it was very challenging for me, due to poor form. I took a running class at a community college and was taught to not strike with the heel, and since then it has been a lot easier for me to run, but I did not stick to a routine. It wasn't until 5 years ago, after I joined the Navy, that I discovered that I really loved running. Unfortunately, being stuck on a ship for up to 8 months at a time forced me to run on a treadmill for a while, and in many different directions, due to the ship rocking so much (LOL). Well, now that I have completed my active duty (I'm a reservist now) I took my new found joy of running to the streets and even the trails. I frequently go to Griffith Park or Santa Monica Beach and either run, hike or just try out new trails. 

I hope to run the L.A. Marathon in 2011, and maybe even someday run a 50 or 100 miler; that would really be something. I run for the joy of it and for overall health. Losing weight isn't my main, goal, but I'm almost sure it will happen. I have found out that when people do something as a chore, rather than because they enjoy it, they do not stck to it. Aside from running I like to play football (soccer), swim and do weight training. I also love P90X, which is very challenging and well rounded.

I hope to learn a lot from this very knowledgeable community, and hope to reach my goals so that I can set new ones.

barrett18k

Hi all...trying to push through my last 8 weeks or so of training for the Denver Marathon in October.  Been in Denver since 1998, originally from St. Louis.  Of course my ultimate goal is qualifying for Boston, but that's still a long ways off, taking baby steps.  Shooting to break 3:30 in Denver and then evaluate from there.  I've been running off and on for years, but am now getting a little more motivated and serious about my training.

Always interested in any local Denver running partners, I do most of my long runs on the High Line Canal trail and run in Highlands Ranch during the week.

Kevin

Hello, I'm Brian.  I'm a grad student living in Oregon.  I've been using RA for about a year.  While I don't post that often, as a new runner I've found the posts and advice here very useful.  When I was younger I use to run for other sports, but never ran just to run. For awhile I had wanted to run a marathon but it was last year, right before I turned 30, that I realized that I couldn't just decide to run ~15 miles or more any given day and be able to do it.  If I was ever going to do a marathon, I would have to train to do it.  So I did, and last spring I finished the Yakima River Canyon Marathon.  I wasn't fast, but I really enjoyed it. Since then I've decided half marathons are a better fit for the amount of training I do.  But running has become a great way for me to relax and enjoy the green and trees (and rain) here in Oregon. 

chefirun4fun

Hello everyone my name is flor, I am chef, 36 years old and new here, just recently  started running again after two years, my career and passion, that is my job forced me to stop exercising as I liked, but now I'm back again I fell in love with my endorphins Smile  don´t want to stop , I started running because I  have gone through a bit exhausting diseases, nothing that can´t handle now Big grin, and i have FM, I was inspired by that and now work

teaching healthy cooking classes for adults and children, and make special diets for patients with cancer,I hope to have your support, who are already veterans in the racing world, It has been hard to accept my limitations and my illness but I have something for me my will and my good humor.

Thanks and any things that need, I'm here Wink

Greetings!

My name is Jen and I live in Southern Mississippi, I have been running for about 3 years. I started at age 42. After years of neglecting my body (active rock climber up until about 25 and then down hill from there) I was feeling ill all the time and very unhappy with how I looked. I took up running because it seemed like the hardest and most unlikely thing I could ever accomplish. I love a challenge. Could not run 100 yds. Started out slow ran my first half last summer and my first full marathon in Feb 2010. I have since run 3 additional half's and will do my next full in mid-December (God willing!) I have also run numerous 5k's, 10k's, 12's etc, you get the picture. I am hooked. I dabbled in triathlons for a brief time and although I do swim and bike regularly I don't like the race. I have been a member of BT (Beginner Triathlete) where I had been logging my stats but found this site through a friend and I think it might better fit my needs.

Running is my true love now and I have hopes of completing an ultra in the next two years. I have managed to lose over 40 lbs and feel great. I am loving the journey!

Jen Southern Mississippi http://therunningartist.blogspot.com/

Hey Everyone! I am Heather, 35 from Kansas city. I started running back in April and started with C25K. I ran a 4 mile race after that and fell in love! I've run a couple of 5k's and a 10k. I am currently training for a half marathon. I stopped running for a month while we moved, and not running sucked! I've been back at it for about 3 weeks and I feel back to normal. I found a great running partner and we have been running in the AM. We are running a half marathon in Nov. and will hopefully run a full in the spring. (If we can keep up with our training through the winter)

I track all of my mileage on DM, and need to import it over here.

Nice to be back!

Come play with me

Hello my fellow huns and harriers.

This website is absolutely brilliant. I wish they had something like this when I was running in college, and if there was one, I wish I knew about it.

I am 28, and still run almost everyday. I am training for the Chicago Marathon on 10-10-10. After that, I will continue with my usual local race plan. I was an 800m runner in college who ran cross country.

My goal for Chicago is sub 2:50.

All the best to you throughout your journeys.

Since I started posting, figured I’d provide some background. This might help folks understand my pov, might not…here goes:

Typical week:

Monday: 3.7 m, feels like 7 mpm, big giant hilly course

Tuesday: off

Wednesday: 3.7 m, feels like 7 mpm, big giant hilly course

Thursday: off

Friday: 3 m, a little faster, just one big hill at end, or 4 miles if feeling ambitious

Saturday: 4 or 5 m, feels like 8 mpm, 4 or 5 hills (same hill, up and down, over and over again)

Sunday: off

I write “feels like”, because I won’t wear a watch – ever. Not on race day, not on any day.

My dad was an all-Ivy runner in the 60’s, and tried like heck to get all his kids to love running, which of course backfired. Played div 1 college baseball. I didn’t start running in earnest until 2 years after college, mostly because I was just out of a long term relationship, wanted to burn some energy, and had nothing else to do. Ended up really liking it. Around 2000 was doing maybe 35 mpw, ran a couple of marathons (not enjoyable), a bunch of halfs (better), and a million 5ks (love). Mixed in was playing in a men’s hockey league. Then….got married, went back to school, got real job, broke ankle (hockey), bought house (hour commute to real job), had kids, picked up guitar, quit hockey, “coach” 5 year old soccer. Somewhere in there running got lost, I’d run an occasional 5k, completely inconsistent mileage. 2 years ago decided to get back into it. With the time I have (and want to have) the above schedule is what I do, and have been doing since, just faster over time.

Last year, 5ks were in the 20’s. This year started at high 19’s, and whittled down to 18:57. Back in 2000/2001 this is where I was pretty consistently (between 18:36 and 19, and right about 6 mpm up to 5 miles). Would like to break that 18:36, and so far, times keep progressing. Hope to get there soon.

I hear “you should run more” a lot. I get it. Believe me.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    xhristopher

(hour commute to real job),

I hear “you should run more” a lot. I get it. Believe me.

Damn commute! Lot's of us might run faster if we weren't burning time sitting in traffic. When I (rarely) work from home it's easy to run more.

No run...need sleepy!

Hey all!

I've been using the logs since July and have found both the log tools and the collective experience in the forums to be a great resource!  I guess it's time for me to take another step in and introduce myself.

My name is Brian, I turned 40 last March (Aries, NOT Pisces) and I'm pretty sure I'm a running addict for life.  I've been *trying* to run for several years.  As an office drone I was in pretty bad shape.  I'd run for a few weeks, then experience knee pain, then quit, then try again, then hunker in for winter, then party all summer, then try running again, then sprain my ankle...blah blah...This cycle really did go on for more years than I'd like to admit.  But earlier this year I was turned on to "Born to Run" and it pretty much changed everything for me. 

Most importantly I found that I could go out on the trail and really enjoy my experience rather than fight the time out and treat it like just another item on my 'to do' list.  I ditched my expensive Asics (personally fit at a Dick Pond store) and went out in my 8 year old Tevas with cracked soles and two broken straps.  I shed all prejudicial notions of how I was supposed to be a runner...and I just ran!  I imagined myself leaving my front door and entering the unmapped canyons of Mexico.  I was a suburban Cabello Blanco!

By the end of my first mile I was breathing hard and barely shuffled back home.  But I did it and I felt great!  Since then I've done 5 5k's and I can't stop thinking about running my first 10k!  I'm excited to run through the Fall season and the challenge of Winter.  I have no pain, other than the usual muscle soreness, but that feels normal to me now.  I'm a big fan of the Barefoot movement, though I'm not sure I'm prepared to go all the way just yet.  I can truly say that understanding the barefoot mechanics helped me run better.  I would not be doing what I am today without changing my attitude and my form.

Thanks all for being great peeps!  And BTW...you have a warped sense of humor...I LOVE IT!

If anyone in the NW Chicago suburbs wants to hook up for an afternoon or morning or evening or midnight run, let me know!  I'll be running a 5k in Lisle on 10/16.  Come say Hi and introduce yourself.  You can't miss me...I'm 6'6" and I'll be wearing crappy old sandals.  At the very least you can hear me SLAP SLAP down the whole course.

Run the race God set B4U

Hey all!

I've been using the logs since July and have found both the log tools and the collective experience in the forums to be a great resource!  I guess it's time for me to take another step in and introduce myself.

My name is Brian, I turned 40 last March (Aries, NOT Pisces) and I'm pretty sure I'm a running addict for life.  I've been *trying* to run for several years.  As an office drone I was in pretty bad shape.  I'd run for a few weeks, then experience knee pain, then quit, then try again, then hunker in for winter, then party all summer, then try running again, then sprain my ankle...blah blah...This cycle really did go on for more years than I'd like to admit.  But earlier this year I was turned on to "Born to Run" and it pretty much changed everything for me. 

Most importantly I found that I could go out on the trail and really enjoy my experience rather than fight the time out and treat it like just another item on my 'to do' list.  I ditched my expensive Asics (personally fit at a Dick Pond store) and went out in my 8 year old Tevas with cracked soles and two broken straps.  I shed all prejudicial notions of how I was supposed to be a runner...and I just ran!  I imagined myself leaving my front door and entering the unmapped canyons of Mexico.  I was a suburban Cabello Blanco!

By the end of my first mile I was breathing hard and barely shuffled back home.  But I did it and I felt great!  Since then I've done 5 5k's and I can't stop thinking about running my first 10k!  I'm excited to run through the Fall season and the challenge of Winter.  I have no pain, other than the usual muscle soreness, but that feels normal to me now.  I'm a big fan of the Barefoot movement, though I'm not sure I'm prepared to go all the way just yet.  I can truly say that understanding the barefoot mechanics helped me run better.  I would not be doing what I am today without changing my attitude and my form.

Thanks all for being great peeps!  And BTW...you have a warped sense of humor...I LOVE IT!

If anyone in the NW Chicago suburbs wants to hook up for an afternoon or morning or evening or midnight run, let me know!  I'll be running a 5k in Lisle on 10/16.  Come say Hi and introduce yourself.  You can't miss me...I'm 6'6" and I'll be wearing crappy old sandals.  At the very least you can hear me SLAP SLAP down the whole course.

AWESOME BRIAN!!!   YOU SOUND COOL....WELCOME!!!

5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                          Colin2010

I'm 66, male living in North Cyprus. I have been running short trail runs in the hills near my village. I've been running intermittently most of my life (with some long breaks). I want to lengthen my runs from the current 8-10k and increase my general fitness

ndrorydr

He Who Runs With Horses

I'm Tim from North Carolina.  Just found this site today as I was looking for a good place to upload my forerunner data and keep a good log.  For the past 8 weeks I've been following the C210k program on my iPhone.  Without going into detail here, you can find more of my story and why I started running, on my blog.  I grew up with a father who ran, so whenever I think of fitness and getting in shape, I'm always led to the sport of running.

As I complete my C210K  program over the next month and start in my first 10k, I'm sure I will look to this forum for info on what my next step should be.

madmarky4

Hi,

I am 41 living in Holland, run an average of 35 km a week, suffering from a broken rin and a cold but just did a 6km run anyway, slippery here everything seemed to be covered in black ice. Hope to be running the Zwolle marathon in june in a record time for me of 1:40