Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hi everyone! I'm Eryn, a just-turned-30-year-old female from Michigan. I'm also the best friend mentioned by Kirsten (aka zoom-zoom). I'm a mother of 3 & happily married to a wonderful man who occasionally runs with me (translation: he only runs a few times a month & still kicks my butt!). I just ran my first race, the Fifth-Third Riverbank Run in Grand Rapids, MI. It was an amazing 25K race, a fantastic experience from me. I've motivated Kirsten, my husband, and his best friend to tackle it with me. We are also running a few 10K's this summer/fall & I plan to do a couple of half-marathons too. I've been a distance runner since high school track (we didn't have XC, just track), but I went above & beyond in my training in those days! I've ran off and on since high school, but nothing serious. Several years ago, I promised myself that I would run the Riverbank Run before I turned 30. Last fall I finally admitted to myself that the dreaded day was coming & I had to get in gear. The race was 4 days before my 30th birthday, a day which I was not looking forward to. I trained hardcore, even through the miserable Michigan winter & then in late Jan, I went in to see the doctor for R ankle pain that wouldn't go away. X-rays & a bone-scan later, they found a large stress fracture in the R ankle, plus 4 smaller stress fractures in my left side, from the foot to the knee. That side didn't even hurt!! But, I took my 8wks off, almost thought about backing out on the run, then kicked myself squarely in my almost-30 butt & started pushing myself. Then I ran my personal best on race day & suddenly, 30 didn't seem so old. Big grin I live in a rural area, so I spend most of my time alone on backroads, talking to cows as I pass. My running goals now: a couple of half-marathons & aforementioned shorter runs this summer/fall, the Chicago Marathon (I've given myself til 35 for that, but hopefully before I turn 32), maybe the 25K trail run in the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (a beautiful place, if you have never been there, should be an amazing run!), and the Grand Rapids Marathon in the next few years. Who knows, maybe I'll be ready by next year for that one?! Great site, Eric!! And it has been fun to read & learn about everyone. I'm looking forward to hanging a little on the forums & watching everyone's progress. Happy running everyone!! Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Eryn! Welcome to the over-30 club! Cool Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks Janell! I'm actually not minding it. Just another day, right??
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

:shaking head: Whipper Snapper! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Tee hee hee!!! I remember as a kid we had a 16 y/o babysitter and an 18 y/o babysitter, and boy did that 18 y/o seem mature! Funny how perspective changes!

Hello. I'm Rebecca, a friend of Kirsten's (zoom-zoom). I'm a noob. I started at running at the end of Dec on a lark and haven't looked back since. I did the cool running couch to 5k, just finished Hal Higdon's Spring Training and am starting Hal Hidgon's Half-marathon this week. I ran my first race--an 8k--a couple of weeks ago. I'm slow and proud of it. Big grin My dh runs with me when he can, but he's nursing a sore knee, so he may be out for a bit. I'm a 33 yr old sahm who also homeschools. I have 3 girls 12, 7 and 4.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, Clancy/Rebecca! Good to have you here. Cool

nemo1

I'm a twenty year old female living in South Bend, IN. I recently started running after my dad had a heart attack last year. I have decide to run the Lakefront Marathon, on October 1 this year. I have a 16 year old running buddy, who, I have no idea why, puts up with how slow I am. Probably, just because I can drive! Ha! Wink We just ran the Sunburst 5K that ends on the Notre Dame football field. I will be running at least a 10K and maybe a half marathon in Bloomington, IN before our trip to WI.
                    Welcome, welcome Clancy & Shuggaar, glad to have you here!
                    nemo1

Welcome, welcome Clancy & Shuggaar, glad to have you here!
                      Sorry, you can call me Sara
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome, Suggar/Sara! It's great to see so many new faces... (okay, screen names... but you know what I mean!)

vicentefrijole

Hello Everyone I've actually been visiting this site for about a year, so you might've seen me on other message boards, but I never "formally" introduced myself! Big grin I'm a 27 year-old grad student living in Chicago. I began running track and cross-country in highschool in Madison WI. I went off to college in New Orleans LA (Tulane) and didn't compete there, so my running sort of fell apart for a few years. In 2005, I started running more frequently with a friend and then decided to train for my first marathon. I find that having a race as a goal really helps me stay motivated. I completed the Chicago Marathon last October with a great time (but lots of room for improvement of course) and was hooked on marathoning. I just finished (barely) my second marathon in Madison (MadCity Marathon) in really nasty hot-weather and learned a lot in the process. My current goal is to qualify for Boston and eventually get down to a sub-3 hour time. I'm currently in the recovery phase (and just itching to run again!). This summer, as I aim at the Chicago Marathon again, I plan to increase the intensity of my training a bit with some of the plans in the "Advanced Marathoning" book by Pfitzinger & Douglas (recommended by Mark D!). I'll let you know how it goes! Happy trails, everyone!
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Hello Everyone I've actually been visiting this site for about a year, so you might've seen me on other message boards, but I never "formally" introduced myself! Big grin
                            Pleased to meet you. <formal> Smile</formal>

You'll ruin your knees!

Hello Everyone I've actually been visiting this site for about a year, so you might've seen me on other message boards, but I never "formally" introduced myself! Big grin
                              Well, consider this our "formal" welcome! 8 Ball Yes

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, consider this our "formal" welcome! 8 Ball Yes
                                Yeah! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay