Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

#artbydmcbride

Hey fredm, you should check out this forum:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum

Runners run

Thanks, i will do so this weekend! Just finished an 8 miler, finally feeling good after longer runs.

Reykjavik

Hi All! My name is Desmond Deary I'm 31 years old (almost 32, 23 November) and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I personaly know 1 other person logging their runs on this site and that is the person who sent me a facebook invite to join, but I'm working on getting more Captonians to join. So because I don't know any of you I thought I would read all 51 pages of this thread to see who's out there before posting and I have found many of your stories really inspirational (though this thread is a little like a time warp as many of the posts are nearly 6 years old, I'm sure a lot has changed since then). I have been logging my miles since June on this site and have lurked a little in the forums.

I'm privileged to say that I was able to visit the places that some of you live, around Christmas of 2008 with my wife. We spent quite a bit of time in NC espessially Charlote and Ashville. We also traveled through Durham and Raleigh all places mentioned on this thread. We spent some days in Manhattan and visited family in Stuart FL.

As far as running is conserned I have only started running seriously this year although I have been running on and off since my teens. I started in January after taking a year off with a new born child who took about a year and a half before he was able to sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours. I was well over weight and have lost three pants sizes this year and can now safely say I am within my prefered BMI range having lost  15kg over 10 months. 

Unlike most runners I am making a transition from trail running to road at the moment. I have always done most of my training on the road and much of it with the club that I run with but the only races that I have run until this past weekend were trail races. The reason I'm doing more road runs is two fold. Firstly I would like to be a little quicker and secondly I would like to run the TWO OCEANS ultra marathon next year (hailed as "the worlds most beautiful marathon" (If you don't believe me come see for yourself)) in order to qualify for the race I have to complete a marathon before cut off time which I hope to do next month 19 November. I'm sure I'll finish sub 4 hours but if my training goes well I'm hoping for sub 3:30. So thats me! Give me a shout out if you ever want to know a little more about my part of the world.   

Hi

I loved loved loved South Africa - was there for 3 months 10 yrs ago

I went everywhere - met a cape town boy and went about the place with him - can't have missed much as far as locations go !! lol

What i'd like to know about your part of the world is how actually dangerous is it to a couple (married now) of English Middle Aged people

idk the guy i was with kept talking about car jacking etc i was happy to be with someone local idk all seems a long time ago

Kath

Reykjavik

Hi All! My name is Desmond Deary I'm 31 years old (almost 32, 23 November) and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I personaly know 1 other person logging their runs on this site and that is the person who sent me a facebook invite to join, but I'm working on getting more Captonians to join. So because I don't know any of you I thought I would read all 51 pages of this thread to see who's out there before posting and I have found many of your stories really inspirational (though this thread is a little like a time warp as many of the posts are nearly 6 years old, I'm sure a lot has changed since then). I have been logging my miles since June on this site and have lurked a little in the forums.

I'm privileged to say that I was able to visit the places that some of you live, around Christmas of 2008 with my wife. We spent quite a bit of time in NC espessially Charlote and Ashville. We also traveled through Durham and Raleigh all places mentioned on this thread. We spent some days in Manhattan and visited family in Stuart FL.

As far as running is conserned I have only started running seriously this year although I have been running on and off since my teens. I started in January after taking a year off with a new born child who took about a year and a half before he was able to sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours. I was well over weight and have lost three pants sizes this year and can now safely say I am within my prefered BMI range having lost  15kg over 10 months. 

Unlike most runners I am making a transition from trail running to road at the moment. I have always done most of my training on the road and much of it with the club that I run with but the only races that I have run until this past weekend were trail races. The reason I'm doing more road runs is two fold. Firstly I would like to be a little quicker and secondly I would like to run the TWO OCEANS ultra marathon next year (hailed as "the worlds most beautiful marathon" (If you don't believe me come see for yourself)) in order to qualify for the race I have to complete a marathon before cut off time which I hope to do next month 19 November. I'm sure I'll finish sub 4 hours but if my training goes well I'm hoping for sub 3:30. So thats me! Give me a shout out if you ever want to know a little more about my part of the world.   

Reykjavik

Hi oops - thought it wasn't posting

Kath

Reykjavik

Anyway - if you haven't seen on another post - i'm Katherine i am f 37 UK and have just started back running 30 mins 3 x a week - will be pushing that at 10% and hope to get some feedback from somewhere if an August 2012 Marathon is out of the question... i have been running a couple of times a month for 6 months and from April 2011 back to Sept 07 have run 4 x a week most of the time ... 

ran 9 - 15 mpw till 2010 by the end of 2010 i had a base of 25 mpw But only for a few months - my max was 27 mpw - max long run 16 mi in 3H 30

and i was running an avg long run of half marathon distance at the weekend

I did 3 half marathon races in 2010 in the space of 8 months

I have lost 35 lbs through a very low calorie diet and haven't done a lot of running this year - had 2 runs a week (5 mi each) for Jan - April this year then only a couple of times a month till now

I am looking at a marathon in August next year longingly

I have lost 35 lbs bmi now 24 was 29 - 30 when i was running before

Haven't timed a race yet but am clocking up the same pace as my best ever training runs without much comparative effort

Kath

twangler

Hi all, first post in this forum.  32 m living in Switzerland, which is a dream of a place to be running in.  I've actually used this site since earlier this year because the logs are really nice for tracking your runs, but never posted here because I wasn't aware this forum existed.

Recreational runner (10-15 mpw) my whole life, into soccer and football and whatnot, but didn't begin serious running training until this year because I committed to do the Zürich marathon in April.  Probably overtrained heading into it but managed to hit my goal of <4 h (managed 3:43) which I consider pretty successful considering my frame (6' 200 lb) isn't ideal for marathon running.  I *might* run another marathon in my lifetime, but damn those things are just unhealthy.  Probably I'll stick with halves.

At the moment, after lazing about in the summer after the marathon, I'm trying to hit another major milestone of 1000 miles for the year, after which I'll be satisfied in terms of running goals.  Maybe I'll find other Swissie (well, actually I'm American) runners too.  Looking forward to combing these forums for advice and asking for some, maybe dishing some.

Happy running!

an amazing likeness

Welcome Twangler!  Glad to hear you're joining into the forums, lots of good advice here.  I'll mention that the user groups as well since you note you've only recently discovered the community section.  One that might interest you this year is the 1,000 mile group where you track you progress to the 1,000 mile mark along with others.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

arcarojb

Greetings & Happy Thanksgiving Eve!  I'm a long time stalker who finally decided to join, thanks to all of the awesome guidance and the great training tools.

I'm a newbie, having started walking/running in spring 2009 after hearing a presentation from a Mayo Clinic NP about a breast cancer marathon/half.   That was my initiative to get off the couch & get moving.  Since then, I've really come to love running.  I love being outside and enjoying the great outdoors.

Thank you to the RA community for all that you contribute!  I really appreciate all of the advice, insight, knowledge you give!

Julie :-)

It's never too late to be what you might have been. George Eliot

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                    Thomas A. Edison

AnneSolley

Brighton Mara 10in10-er

Hello everyone - this is my first post to this forum! I originally signed up to Running Ahead such a long time ago I'd forgotten I had an account! I've just re-discovered it after becoming disillusioned with MapmyRun as some of it's functionality is not very well thought out on the 'new' site and the 'old' site is a bit buggy too... I know it looks swish and professional but the adverts are really intrusive.

I'm just getting used to the way this site works and it does what it should do without and bells and whistler. Perfect!

I was just wondering if there are many Brits on here as at first site it seems very American based - not that that's a problem!

Anyway a BIG hello to all everyone!

And yes - my username reflects me!  Although with the aid of running and pilates I'm not quite as clumsy as I used to be!

Big grin

keeponrunning

Hello everyone - this is my first post to this forum! I originally signed up to Running Ahead such a long time ago I'd forgotten I had an account! I've just re-discovered it after becoming disillusioned with MapmyRun as some of it's functionality is not very well thought out on the 'new' site and the 'old' site is a bit buggy too... I know it looks swish and professional but the adverts are really intrusive.

I'm just getting used to the way this site works and it does what it should do without and bells and whistler. Perfect!

I was just wondering if there are many Brits on here as at first site it seems very American based - not that that's a problem!

Anyway a BIG hello to all everyone!

And yes - my username reflects me!  Although with the aid of running and pilates I'm not quite as clumsy as I used to be!

Big grin

I'm not British, I'm Canadian, but you are right in saying there are a lot of Americans on here, but there are still some from all over the globe which is pretty cool.  I do know there are a few Brits on here but there usernames are leaving me right now.  And you sound like me, I'm an extreme klutz too. Wink

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

myneed4speed

Deferring Maturity

I'm new to this site.  I began running in 1970 and ran competitively in middle school, high school, college, and the military.  In subsequent years, I continued to run with varying degrees of intensity subject to professional and family demands.  Now that my children are older and I am unencumbered by spousal considerations I have ratcheted up my training and drive to compete.  In particular, I enjoy the challenge at my age of generating speed (hence my profile name).  My racing preferences are track (middle distance) and cross country.  I've focused on the mile and 1500M in recent years.  I'm thinking about racing the 3000M steeple chase in 2012 because I believe it would be the ultimate challenge for me, given the combination of speed, endurance, strength, and agility that's needed to excel in the event.  I occasionally ran the steeple in college, but I'm unsure how my body would hold up to all the jumping that I would do in workouts.  Guess I'm going to find out in a few months!

Hi

I loved loved loved South Africa - was there for 3 months 10 yrs ago

I went everywhere - met a cape town boy and went about the place with him - can't have missed much as far as locations go !! lol

What i'd like to know about your part of the world is how actually dangerous is it to a couple (married now) of English Middle Aged people

idk the guy i was with kept talking about car jacking etc i was happy to be with someone local idk all seems a long time ago

Kath

Hey Kath Sorry I've been away from the forums for a bit.

I would say that Cape Town and South Africa in general are like most other places in the world. I'm sure that London and New York can be just as dangerous It just depends on where you go in the city. It does help to have someone local with you though, or you may not know the places you should stay away from. I would say that most of the crime is drug related. People who are addicted to substances can be quite creative in how they get there next fix. So it helps to stay out of areas where drug abuse is rife and also try not to look too flashy and touristy because that will be drawing a target on yourself. I make the rule that I must be willing to part with anything that is on me or I will be putting my life at risk. The other thing is to make sure that I don't have anything on me that people would consider very valuable or worth mugging me for. 

As far as car jacking is concerned, it does still happen but not so often. I can't say when I last heard of a car jacking! Most expensive cars have trackers in them now anyway so it's dumb to try and steel one. If you and your husband ever come this way, you can message me if you are concerned about which areas to stay away from or only go to with locals. 

2012 Goals:

5k: sub 20 min 19:49

10k: sub 42 min

21.1: sub 100 min

42.2 sub 4 hours Peninsula 3:49:49

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon: Sub 6 hours

ksymons

Wow!  After reading the other posts makes me feel totally inspired...well a little anyways.  I am a 33 y/o female.  I live in Upstate New York.  I am new to running. The only reason I really started to run was becuase I ran my big fat mouth to my boss' wife telling her I'd love to run a half marathon.  Actually 2 years ago today my husband and I ran our first 5K.  Since then we've been hooked on running, but never really took it seriously...we'd run a few miles as fast as we could each time and call it good.  I mean if you can run 6, you can run 9.3 right?  WTH?  SO...we started getting serious when last year I hooked up with a guy from a nearby running club who offered to train beginners.  This being WAY out of my zone of security, I went to my first track workout.  These workouts fostered a great relationship with the guy who was training us. 

So last year, a friend of mine passed away after battling leukemia on and off for 4 years.  Until then, I swore I'd never run a marathon..I mean...that's F~A~R!  His wife gave me permission to run in his honor I decided to raise money for Team in Training and begin training for my first (and probably only) marathon.  I just couldn't take "the easy way out" with running the half since I had already accomplished that goal.  My husband and I are training for the Buffalo Marathon on Memorial Day weekend.  Feeling Strong!  and that each step is for a purpose that is so much bigger than me.  thanks for reading this long winded post!    :-)