Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

BeeRunB

Wow!  After reading the other posts makes me feel totally inspired...well a little anyways.  I am a 33 y/o female.  I live in Upstate New York.  I am new to running. The only reason I really started to run was becuase I ran my big fat mouth to my boss' wife telling her I'd love to run a half marathon.  Actually 2 years ago today my husband and I ran our first 5K.  Since then we've been hooked on running, but never really took it seriously...we'd run a few miles as fast as we could each time and call it good.  I mean if you can run 6, you can run 9.3 right?  WTH?  SO...we started getting serious when last year I hooked up with a guy from a nearby running club who offered to train beginners.  This being WAY out of my zone of security, I went to my first track workout.  These workouts fostered a great relationship with the guy who was training us. 

So last year, a friend of mine passed away after battling leukemia on and off for 4 years.  Until then, I swore I'd never run a marathon..I mean...that's F~A~R!  His wife gave me permission to run in his honor I decided to raise money for Team in Training and begin training for my first (and probably only) marathon.  I just couldn't take "the easy way out" with running the half since I had already accomplished that goal.  My husband and I are training for the Buffalo Marathon on Memorial Day weekend.  Feeling Strong!  and that each step is for a purpose that is so much bigger than me.  thanks for reading this long winded post!    :-)

Great post. Inspiring. 26.2 miles is far, but I can tell you that when your done, you will feel great (though your body won't Cool). Great cause. One step at a time---and make sure to write a report and post it.

--Jimmy

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

HI there, been using this site, and running, for about a year now.  I'm a Michigan native who is currently living in Taiwan.  I come from a family of runners, both my parents and one of my sisters have done multiple marathons.  I started late compared to them, but they're great role-models.  The only issue is, the temps in Michigan are quite different from those here in Taiwan.  It's hot out there!  I find myself welcoming typhoons this time of year just to cool it down a little.  I'm always impressed with the quality of replies on this site.  If anyone is ever in Taipei and wants to shed a few gallons of sweat on an early morning run with me, just let me know.

bartlouwers

Hello there! Smile

Discovered this site today and fell in love with it immediately.

Such a relief in comparison to the bloated alternatives.

Will post here again when I'm 'settled'.

#artbydmcbride

Welcome, Harold!  Welcome Bart!  Smile

Runners run

JimR

Lah Lah Lah Lah

#artbydmcbride

Lah Lah Lah Lah

Are you singing to me?   Shy

Runners run

Long time, first time

OK, maybe not first, but certainly not often

uh....what are we talking about?

Pirock

Hi

I am  Fulvio, I'm Italian, I started to run in Finland last winter, I lived in Finland for 6 month, actually I live in Ohio in Columbus.

I still to run and I want to try an half marathon in September
                    I like to run in US but I miss the first cold run in the snow.

Which half marathon?

Welcome to Ohio :-)

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Pirock

At ultracassie. thanks

White tail trail , Waynesville because it will beon my day off.

Do you suggest other half?

runrockclimb

Hi, my name is Trista, I'm 26. Just joined RA two days ago and am so excited to find a place where others share my love of running. I currently live in a small town on the East Side of Washington State. I'm going to school for the second time, studying Early Childhood Education, love the little guys.

I ran track in high school, hurdling to be exact and the occasional 100 or 200 meter sprint, and I did cross country for two years. I liked it, but when I headed to college my running got lost in the craziness of college life. I took a jogging class and ran here and there, but nothing much. Then two years ago I went through a really rough emotional time, I'll spare you the details. I started running more regularly as an escape. It wasn't long after that I decided I'd run a marathon, its was a bucket list thing. So with no clue what I was doing I "trained" for the Yakima River Canyon Marathon. I think my longest run leading up to it was 10 miles. Somehow, I finished in 5 hrs. 13 min. It was painful, but exhilarating and I was hooked. Only, I didn't want to attempt another marathon until I could devote the time necessary to do it right. So my next race was my first 1/2 marathon. It was a perfect race day, cool, sunny, lovely area. I finished in a little under 2 hours, there was a course mishap so its hard to know my exact time, but I do know I found my race. I love the half distance! I just finished my second half last month. It was a somewhat disappointing finish but, I'm kinda glad. Its driven me to try harder, to really start training, and take my running more seriously. I have my third 1/2 scheduled for the end of November and I want to break the 2 hr mark again.

In between real life and running I am also an avid rock climber. Mostly gym, but I'm working on gather the equipment to start outdoors climbing. Its a great cross training activity, and its just awesome.

So that is my running life story. Thanks for reading.

runrockclimb

Wow!  After reading the other posts makes me feel totally inspired...well a little anyways.  I am a 33 y/o female.  I live in Upstate New York.  I am new to running. The only reason I really started to run was becuase I ran my big fat mouth to my boss' wife telling her I'd love to run a half marathon.  Actually 2 years ago today my husband and I ran our first 5K.  Since then we've been hooked on running, but never really took it seriously...we'd run a few miles as fast as we could each time and call it good.  I mean if you can run 6, you can run 9.3 right?  WTH?  SO...we started getting serious when last year I hooked up with a guy from a nearby running club who offered to train beginners.  This being WAY out of my zone of security, I went to my first track workout.  These workouts fostered a great relationship with the guy who was training us. 

So last year, a friend of mine passed away after battling leukemia on and off for 4 years.  Until then, I swore I'd never run a marathon..I mean...that's F~A~R!  His wife gave me permission to run in his honor I decided to raise money for Team in Training and begin training for my first (and probably only) marathon.  I just couldn't take "the easy way out" with running the half since I had already accomplished that goal.  My husband and I are training for the Buffalo Marathon on Memorial Day weekend.  Feeling Strong!  and that each step is for a purpose that is so much bigger than me.  thanks for reading this long winded post!    :-)

Great story. It must be nice to share your running with someone you care about, and be running for someone you care about. It adds so much more meaning to running. I ran my first marathon about a year and a half ago, to help raise money for my Aunt who was working on becoming a foster parent and planning to adopt. Probably didn't really help her out much, but it gave my running a new kind of meaning.

Good luck with your marathon, and thanks for running it for a higher purpose.

Trista

amigaHal

It was good to read your post ksmon. We all start running for different reasons. Some of us start as kids, some as adults, some because of health concerns, and others just because they love to run. Some like to run with a partner or a group and some are free birds wanting to sore on the wind in the solitude of one's own mind.

Amy262

Hi folks!

My name's Amelie, I'm in my early 20's still and live in Ontario, Canada. I started runningon April 16, 2011 as a way to supplement my training programs - I am a visually impaired athlete and compete in Sprint paddling as well as Blind curling and am headed to Nationals this coming February.

I've been using the site for a while though this is my first time on the forum. My fastest time was my very first 5K at a 34:04, my second 5K had me at 40:51 due to my training schedule being so hectic my running took a bit of a backseat (though I still ran, just a super crazy schedule) a month after taht 2nd 5K I had started hill training but wasn't too far into it yet. My godfather had signed us up for a race (he guided me for 2 races) though we envoutered monster hills - and extremely steep, along with the added stress of being invovled in a Mass start for my first time (first 5K was a small, local race so 100 people, 2nd I was in the 'Special Start' so you started 15 minutes earlier than the otehrs with Injured Soldiers) so finished that one in 42:13.

In March of this year I suffered a fall at an out-of-town spiel and ended up with  a bone contusion of my tibial plateau, a Grade 2 MCL sprain as well as patellar tendinitis. I knew of the bone contusion rigth away but because it was painful when I initially put weight on it, decided to see the doctor to make sure nothing else was going on so had an appointment 6 days post-injury and he said I had diagnosed it right...so took 3 weeks off of running total, did 2 slow 6Ks but something didn't feel right so went back to the doctor. He ran a few tests when I told him something still didn't feel right and he didn't tell me what was wrong, just that I needed physio and only 2 weeks after that appointment did I find out the extent of my injuries. So went to physio once a week, he had me do a few test runs at the gym of a few minutes long and inform him when things started to improve so that sidelined me for another 2 12 months.

Six weeks and a few days after I was allowed to run again, my sister who had been running faithfully as my guide (and her friend came along too!) guided me in a weekend filled with a 5 and 10K, a Du and Tri so finished that 5K in 40:58. My next race is next week (Army Run 2012) and I'm aiming for somewhere under 40, have no specific time...We'll see as my knee still occaisonally botehrs me with the MCL tightening up and tendinitis flare-ups. Not to mention my current guide is a 'new' runner! She started running 2 1/2 months ago, decided her first race was going to be a 10K and only started doing long runs 1-2 weeks ago. I just hope she's wise about how she does the race so that she can keep guidng me after her feat...She almost went for the 5K of the evbent she signed up for (forget the name at the moment) but she decided to go big or go home essentially...I think it's foolish of her to go for that distance after less than 3 months of training to be honest but she said she'd walk a portion of it if needed - as long a sshe ran across he finish line!

And so, taht's my current story. Hoping to train for a 10K soon, knee permitting