Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

runninggirl30

Hi!

I'm Lindsey from the Buffalo, N.Y. area.  I have been running on and off for the past 15 yrs.  I ran as a teenager for a while just for fitness/fun and then I just got to busy to continue.  Then after I got married in my twenties I started up again and had my first kid and I stopped.  Then finally in July of 2011 I got it in my head that I wanted to do a 5k.  I had never done one before and I was excited that I set a goal for myself and was extremely motivated to start running again.  I did the 5k in August at our local county fair in August the next month and I was hooked.  I did a 5k every month and set my sights on my first half marathon in the spring of the following year.  I was doing well and was up to running 38mpw with a long run of 12m at the end of March when I tore a ligament in my hip (5wks before my half in May).  I was so frustrated!!!  It took 3 months to recover and needless to say I didn't get to do my half Sad  After that I just began running again and I got pregnant with my 5th child (a boy, finally!!).  I kept up my running until about halfway through my pregnancy and it got very uncomfortable (I looked like I had a basketball right in the front and he was getting heavy) so I stopped and resorted to walking.

Now my youngest is 18mon and I've started running here and there but nothing consistent.  Just in the past week or so I have decided to get serious again and signed up for another 5k.  My goals are to do longer races and next year I plan on doing my original half marathon and eventually do a full one!  Not sure why I decided to tell my life story nut there it is Smile

Good luck to everyone!!

endlessrun

Yup.

12 mile swim - 560 miles biking - 131 miles running

...in 5 1/2 days.

I'm trying to imagine what doing just one of these is like.

Hi guys, I'm from New Zealand and have taken up running over the last 18 months, and find it so good for my soul to push myself.  I'm married to a sprinter, and i just completed my first marathon so we definitely prove that opposites attract!  I love trail running, as i feel less pressure to achieve a time and can just enjoy the experience, but i take what i can get in my little part of the world, so run trail, track and road events when i can find them.

I have goals for next year to be truly outrageous and run a 50k in april.  but until then i love to read about, talk about and plan for running i swear that is the best part!

looking forward to picking your brains and learning from your experiences Smile

I do if for the bananas.  They are really good bananas.

brianogilvie

Greetings, Earthlings!

I'm Brian. As my blog tagline has it, "professional historian, amateur photographer, and recreational cyclist." I used to run, back in grad school, distances up to 25K (my first and only race so far was the 1995 Old Kent [now Fifth Third] River Bank Run 25K in Grand Rapids, Michigan, 2:03:06, when I was 27). I kept running for a couple of years but got out of the habit when I started a full-time job, especially after I added a substantial commute.

I slowly put on weight, which didn't help: every time I took up running again, I got injured. I finally switched over to cycling, which is lower impact, and worked my way up to 200K endurance rides.

I decided to get back into running in January 2012, when I was living in Paris, as cross training and as a more travel-compatible exercise (shoes and shorts being easier to pack than my folding bike!). I started Couch to 5K, cycling to the Bois de Vincennes and running on gravel paths around the Lac Daumesnil since they're easier on the knees than asphalt. I weighed about 205 lb. then. That February, I crashed my bike as I was riding to a run (my own fault) and came down hard on my right leg, between the knee and top of the fibula, with a 50-pound bike-share bike on top of me. I had to walk with a stick for six weeks, though I could cycle again in a couple of days, since the injured part only hurt when my leg was fully extended. (I'm sure it was quite a sight to see a fat guy cycling along on a bike at a brisk clip, then parking it, unfolding a cane, and hobbling slowly to his destination.) But I stopped C25K, obviously. I tried starting it up again that summer in Oxford, but didn't stick to it.

Finally, last January I decided I was ready to give it another go. I had lost about 45 pounds. I worked through C25K to the end (hit 5K in week 7), then continued to extend my running beyond that. I was also cycling 75-150 miles a week, some of it commuting, some for fun. By May, I had worked up to 10K, and then my old bike crash injury flared up: too much running, too fast, on a weekend when I also had to spend about 12 hours on my feet standing at various events. The upshot: a few more painful runs, cut short (but not soon enough), and then almost 2 months without running.

In August, I started running again, with particular care to form and the state of my right knee. I'm now up to about 18K a week and slowly adding distance. My running goal is to work up to two 5-mile runs during the week and one longer run on the weekend. It's still mostly cross-training, but I do now remember why I liked running so much in grad school. I find that I'm a better hill climber on my bike now that I'm running regularly. And who knows, maybe I have another race or two in the future! Having done a hilly 200K on my bike, I could probably handle a marathon with the proper training. (My Garmin Forerunner 620 estimates my VO2max at 51 ml/kg*min and claims I could do 3:10 if I train properly. I'm not sure I'm that ambitious.)

Tl;dr: runner in the 1990s gave it up, got fatter and older, lost weight, came back to running in middle age, and enjoys it, despite being confused about whether to log distances in metric or US units.

JDK1962

Hi, Jeff from Boulder, CO. I started running in 2012, ran my first marathon in May 2013 (~4:25), discovered that I had done it while infected with Hep A that I picked up from a berry-and-pomegranate blend that I was using in my recovery smoothies, and lost pretty much the remainder of 2013. When I tried restarting in 2014, my Achilles started complaining, so I spent the summer road cycling instead, and put on over 3000 miles. But now, winter is settling in here in Colorado, and I'm just not that hardcore a cyclist...so I'm running around 30 miles a week (40, if I foolishly pick up a Strava challenge like "Bring Back the Boom!") and telling my Achilles to shut up.

I briefly hung around the Let's Run "world famous message boards," but anonymous posting leads to an absolutely amazing number of idiot threads (even in the running topic areas), and even more idiot trolls. Even as an almost total lurker, it was annoying and depressing. Smile

Anyway...just wanted to say hi.

evamarie

Hi! I'm Eva from the Philippines. I've been running for more than a year now. I actually joined my first ever fun run in 2011 but it was in 2013 when I decided to make it part of my lifestyle.

I am a member of a running team. We usually train together but I prefer being on my own when going for long runs. I make it a point to join at least one half-marathon event in a month. The longest that I've ran in an event is 32km on road and 30km on trail. I'm currently training for my first full marathon which is scheduled on February. I usually log 30-40kms per week and I'm hoping to increase it by next month. Basically, I'm just going about running forums, looking for tips and hoping to learn from the more experienced runners. Smile

TortisHELL

Been running for a couple of years. Five days a week. Prefer outdoor running, trails, and 5K distance. Do 4 races a year, but I'm going to add a four mile tuff mudder just to see how bad ass I am. Still low miles and slower than a turtle in mud  tho. Anyway, Hello from Michigan!

AthliksEditor

spam

Hi, my name is Nate and I'm a 22 year old college athlete at the University of North Dakota. My coach originally had us set up accounts on here so he could watch us, but nobody uses their logs anymore. I have really enjoyed logging on this site, and recently I started looking at the forums. I have been training for the mile specifically the last few years, but due to shin problems every year and running a 14:30 5k last spring, I overhauled my training and am now trying to work towards my goal of a sub-14 5k. I love talking about training, racing, and everything in between. I'm going to school to be a high school math teacher and hope to coach XC/Track as well.

Prairie running is peace.

umar-f

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself as a postgraduate student at the University of Warwick and as part of my research project, I am exploring the possible solutions that can be provided in injury prevention caused due to misfit or discomfort caused by your running shoes. In order to gain more insight on the real issues, I have drafted a survey which I would greatly appreciate if you could take some to fill. It should not take more than 7 minutes to complete.

Below is the link.

https://warwickwmg.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bjcd0tXNGlKsZ4F

Regards
                      Umar

Concentrated Awesome

Hi! I'm Monica.....

JUST joined this forum. I'm currently training for my first ever marathon in November. I'm excited to do it. I've been running steady for about 3 years now. I've completed several 1/2 marathons, 5Ks, 8ks and a 6 hour endurance trail.

Looking forward to gaining some knowledge, ideas, etc from here.

ScottieReyes

hello, I am new here.

Tiger Rag

Been running since July 2011. Started parkrun recently. Doing Cardiff 10k next weekend. Got a few more 10ks to do this year and a half marathon.

Debating another marathon next year, despite writing the words "I am never doing that again!"

lita7

Did you just call me senile? Surprised Oh well, I can't really say what makes someone want to do a 100 miler, I haven't tried it yet, helped a few friends through their attempts (both successful and unsuccesful). "I have no desire to run anything longer than a marathon"...yeah, that's how it starts Wink. What I think is really great about the ultras is that that is what got me into trail running. It is really different, dodging armadillos rather than cars, etc. I will say that it is an "older" crowd than at the road races, so maybe in a few years, you'll think again! As for the distance, "you're better than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can". ...now can anybody tell me why I came in here? Lynn B
                              Luciplay

Right now I am reading some topics in the forums.