Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bumping for any newbies. Welcome! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

johndixon70

hi all!! I have found my way here from a great nothern run website, the route mapper is excellent and there is a lot of good advice for people starting out like myself. i am aiming to run a half marathon in october, 13.5 miles around the north of England. So as you have guessed i am fron England, Warwickshire cheers, john
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, John! Welcome! Don't be shy! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, John! Best of luck on your half. I have a goal of running a half or a 25k, whichever comes first, too. Probably not until sometime next Spring, at the earliest, though. Smile Kirsten

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Welcome John! I'm also working on a half-marathon in Oct. Happy running & glad to have you here!! Eryn
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            johndixon70

thanks for the welcome wingz,zoom zoom and backroadrunner, i only have have something like 15 weeks before the event, so really need to get my ass into gear. Confused
              aes

I hope I'm not too late to write something as I noticed the date went all the way back to a year ago. My name is Abbie, I'm 25 and at the moment I'm spending the summer in Brugge, Belgium but am moving down to Dubai, UAE the middle of July. I'm figuring that with 100+ weather in Dubai I will be spending a lot of time on the treadmill which I dislike but I'm marathon training for St. George in October and need to get the mileage in somehow. It will be my second marathon... my first was Deseret News way back in 2001. Yikes. I'll be starting grad school in the fall in Utah and plan to continue running in the beautiful Wasatch Mountains. I've been running on a daily basis for the last 7 years but got in to running in the 7th grade when I joined my school's track team. I've been a runner ever since. I absolutely love the site and have told all my friends about. I've become an addict and I'm on every day coming up with new routes to run and making plans about what kind of workout to do. I'm going to Paris this weekend and already have some beautiful runs all planned out along the Seine, up the Champs Elysees, the Louvre, etc. I don't know what I would do without running. It is what keeps me going and when I can't run, it's depressing. Thank you Eric for all the hard work you put into the site. I love it, love it, love it!!! Can't wait to get to know more people.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Abbie! Glad you found us! Welcome! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi guys. I'm Tom and I'm just coming back to running after a significant break. Looking to improve fitness, lose weight... and run a 24hr ultra in 2 years time. Look forward to hearing from you - love the site. : Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

Hi guys. I'm Tom and I'm just coming back to running after a significant break. Looking to improve fitness, lose weight... and run a 24hr ultra in 2 years time. Look forward to hearing from you - love the site. : Big grin
                      Hey Tom! WELCOME! I saw your post asking about the 24 hour run and meant to post a reply, just have been totally swamped lately. I am an ultra-runner myself, having been running beyond the 26.2 barrier since early 2002. I completed my first 100 mile trail race earlier this year (see post in racing titled Rocky Raccoon) and have been involved in quite a few ultra distance races in some capacity (running, crewing, pacing, volunteering, etc.). It's quite addicting! While I have not run a 24 hour race myself (my 100 miler was 23:02), I would love to try one some day (or even longer...48/72 hours). There is lots of good help to be found here, so keep posting your progress. As for specifics on a 24 hour race, I would like to see more information about THE race you plan on running. Details about terrain, surface, loops, etc can make quite a difference. Best of luck in your training and please count on me for help (at least to the extent of my experience). I can also likely hook you up with other ultra-related resources that might be of some help. Again, WELCOME Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Lynn B - many thanks. It is good to know that there are other lunatics "out there". I will keep you posted on my (long) preparation for the Sri-Chinmoy 24hr (track) ultra. I'm hoping to do the race in Oct 07 - which gives me about 15 months to prepare. I'm prepared to wait until the 2008 event though - my progress will be slow as I am currently running about 10 miles as my long run..... check out the new thread which will record my progress! Smile

Greetings to all. My name is Randy, live in Toronto, Ontario and am 41yrs of age. Some days I feel much older and some days I feel much younger. I have been running on and off for the last 10 years or so and have recently picked it up again. I believe a site like this makes me want to get out and run and enter my personal stats and see the numbers accumulate - what an encouragement to get me out of doors and running. Thanks to Eric for getting this site up and running and giving guys like me the little extra push we need to get moving. I just thought I'd post my first "post" and say thanks to all who have participated in these forums. Well done!! Randy
                          FDYYZ
                            Welcome Randy and hi to all, I've been using this site since January 06 and have occasionally posted on the forums but never introduced myself. I'm 43 and took up running 6 years ago when my (then) 9 year old son wanted to run a 5 K...his 4th grade teacher was what I call a "real runner" having times under 2:50 in the marathon. Anyway, I've been running since then. I run because I thoroughly enjoy that feeling about 30 minutes after the run - relaxed and fit (even when I'm not). I also enjoy the opportunities for both social connections and the solitude that running gives me. This site is very helpful and I am thankful to Eric for putting it together. I hope I can give you an encouraging word from time to time that may help you, too. Happy trails! Ken
                              my name is Ben and i am from the Lima, Ohio area. i will bea freshman runner at ohio northern university and i am currently training for the 8k cross races. i have run a lot of 5ks with a pr of 17:29 and on my longest days i tend to do about 13 miles. my goals for this summer are to break 17 in a 5k and to reach a max weekly mileage of 70 without having to take a complete recoevery week afterwards.
                                Wow, just reading what some of you guys can do is amazing and definitely inspiring! I'm a 28 year old female, just moved to Salem, MA from Texas. I just started running, from a previous 5 week layoff. I used to run on the TM, but decided since I moved here to change to road running. Definitely different from the TM, and much harder. However, its given me a great reason to explore the new neighborhood. Unfortunately, when I was moving up here, the car had to be sold during the middle of the trip (tranny went out), and half the stuff we were transporting had to be left. Half of the stuff included my new running shoes. So I'm stuck running in my 3 year old sneakers till I can afford a new pair of running shoes. Right now, my short term goals are to be able to run my short little 1.5 mile loop without taking any walking breaks, but that will take a bit of time, since I have to take a walking break almost every 30 seconds now.
                                -Kris

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." --Albert Einstein