Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hey Matt, Welcome. What's a Flyers fan doing in North Carolina? Ken
      Hi my name is Pam, I'm a mother of 5. I started runnng 2 years ago. I'm currently training for the Philadelphia Marathon though I did have a few week hiatus due to neck and back problems ( skiing accident in 2001). I have to say so far I LOVE Running ahead!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pam, someone's gotta ask (and I'm the mouthy one), how do you get abs like that after 5 kids...?! I have had only one (via c-section and I weighed about 225 when he was born, which I think has something to do with things) and no matter how thin I am or how much ab work I do I still have those floppy, wrinkly pouch of skin from about the navel down (loads of stretch marks, too...lost 50#s after my son was born, which I'm sure is also a factor). I fear only a tummy tuck would get rid of the excess skin that doesn't want to budge from mah belly! I don't seem to have been blessed with much in the way of skin elasticity. Anyhow, you look amazing! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, I still have a pouch of skin but it's under the bikini line. I weighed over 200 when I had my twins ( they are 5 now) and had them via c-section. Everyone and there brother told me there was no way I'd ever be thin again let alone have any abs. At the time I could get on my hands and knees and have my skin hang like 4-6 inches.Well I did TONS of crunches and nothing really showed until I started running and lost TONS of bodyfat than all of a sudden POP there they were. My skin is still stretchy, just not nearly like it was. Anyways thanks for the compliment and keep up with the crunches. Ya never know.It took almost 4 years to see my abs.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Girl, you give me hope! Do you have a lot of stretch marks? I have often heard that lotsa stretch marks = skin that is pretty much hopeless. Heck, I got quite a few just during puberty. I could stand to still lose some bodyfat, though...I think I am around 23-25%, right now. I'm running about 20 miles/week, right now (increasing a few each week), so I keep hoping that my fat will budge at some point. I got myself down to 124#s over a year ago (still with a smooshy gut), but in the past year 10#s creeped back...bastards! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Smell the glove

Hey Matt, Welcome. What's a Flyers fan doing in North Carolina? Ken
              well, i was born in richmond virginia and started liking the philadelphia eagles when i was real little (i think i saw them in the superbowl in '81 when i was 4). so when fell in love with the game of hockey i gravitated towards the flyers. the flyers are still my number one but i've adopted the hurricanes since they moved from hartford.
                Most my stretchmarks are in the bikini area, though I have seen women who have tons of stretch marks have abs as nice as mine if not better so don't give up! Oh when I was at the same bf% as you my abs were NOWHERE to be seen lol. As they say the abs are made in the kitchen so the cleaner you eat and the less you eat the faster the bf will melt off. Smile
                Girl, you give me hope! Do you have a lot of stretch marks? I have often heard that lotsa stretch marks = skin that is pretty much hopeless. Heck, I got quite a few just during puberty. I could stand to still lose some bodyfat, though...I think I am around 23-25%, right now. I'm running about 20 miles/week, right now (increasing a few each week), so I keep hoping that my fat will budge at some point. I got myself down to 124#s over a year ago (still with a smooshy gut), but in the past year 10#s creeped back...bastards! Tongue k

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As they say the abs are made in the kitchen so the cleaner you eat and the less you eat the faster the bf will melt off. Smile
                  That's the part where I get frustrated. I went for almost a month of eating about 1300 honest calories/day (some days under 1200, other days as high as 1500), running 15-20 miles/week and didn't lose a pound and my bodyfat didn't budge, either. I have one of those awful metabolisms that adapts to anything I throw at it (hubby jokes that I would have survived a famine just fine, LOL)...lowering calories, weight workouts, cardio...none seem to do the trick. I'm BY FAR the thinnest woman in the family...I come from a long line of short, stocky, obese women (granted, none of them have ever been particularly active, either). Somehow my brother ended up an anomaly and is tall and fairly lean, though I know he even struggles with lovehandles, but he doesn't eat real carefully and only runs about 15 miles/week on a hard week.

~ Sarah Kay

Hi - I live in Toledo, OH and just found this site a couple of days ago. I'm just starting to input my runs after writing everything in a spiral notebook. This is way cooler - thanks Eric! Anyhow, I'm 49 and the 5-0 is only 51 days away (ugh!), but who's counting. I run 4-5 times, 25-35 miles a week, mostly on the many metropark trails around T-Town. I ran my first marathon (Towpath Marathon along the Cuyahoga River south of Cleveland) last October and finished in 3:48, but hope to do better next time. I thought the Towpath was a great course for those who like running trails and hate pavement. The majority of the course was on a fine gravel bikepath and followed the river through the woods. Not many spectators, but lots of nature. I see from the posts that there are many OH and MI runners using this site, and I'd recommend the race (there's also a half and relays) since the funds also support trail acquisition/maintenance. Anyhow, I'm hoping to run a faster marathon and to BQ, but have been having trouble with quad strains. BTW - if there's anyone from the Toledo area that might want to get together on weekends for long runs, let me know.

You'll ruin your knees!

Well howdy and welcome! Lynn here, another 49 YO with a birthday coming up! Glad you freed yourself from that spiral notebook! We look forward to hearing about your running in the forums! Lynn B Hey, I just realized that I started this post more than a year ago! Man, it seems like only a few months since I got here...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

thanks Lynn, I'll be around - this is more fun than my job!
                        Scout7

Uh, well, Hi, my name is Scout, and I'm a runner. Hi, Scout! Anyhoo....yeah. I live outside Philly (Ardmore), and do computer work. Running the Half this weekend if anyone's gonna be there. Anyways, if ya ahve a question, feel free to ask me. Thanks.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Scout...I see you like beer! Beer is one of my favorite forms of carbohydrate (I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I think it's a pre-req.)! See my avatar for proof. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Guess I'd better introduce myself then. I'm Hanna, I'm 29 and I live in the heart of the English fenland...haha! And no, my father is not my mother's brother! Big grin I am half Czech and like anything that has an international or multicultural focus. I am not really built to run but I am quite determined and just run to keep fit and healthy.
                              Vztavat a cvicit!
                                My name is Steve, and I just found this site. I'm not getting any younger, and thought running would help me stay fit and, hopefully, trim. Also, it's never too late to make my dad, who's 65 and a marathoner, proud. I live in Des Moines, IA, and, like everone else in this town, work for an insurance company. I always kept active playing rugby and tennis (not simultaneously), but got tired of trying to find one or fourteen others to play. Interestingly, once people find out you run, you never need run alone. We have a group that goes over our lunch hour at work. Also have four dogs that need exercise. That's about it. This is a great site; thanks to whomever started it. The tools available are incredible.