mile time trial...in the gym? (Read 1338 times)

My track club has its first summer workout tonight. Unfortunately, it's pouring in Maine today and only about 45-50 degrees. We always do a one mile time trial on the first day to give us a base point for pacing during the first month or so of workouts. The coach has said that he hopes to be able to run it outside, and if that isn't possible due to bad conditions, he would try to get us into the basketball gym to run it. I'm not sure how many laps would be a mile, but I'm guessing it must be quite a few. Has anyone ever run a mile like that? Tips/suggestions? I'm not thrilled about the weather, but I think I'd rather run it on the track and get a little cold. If everything was perfect, I was going to shoot for a 6:30, which would be near my PR, but considering the conditions, maybe I should lower my expectations.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Dude, you are much better off running it in the rain than around the gym. That has ankle twist / slip and fall written all over it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If the weather is really nasty, I would warm up with a light jog in the gym, then run out to the track and go immediately into the one mile time trial. At the end, jog back inside right away. One mile is over so fast that it doesn't really matter how cold and wet it is. I would only stay inside if the track is icy.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Yeah, a time trial mile would be very hard to do. Especially at a 6:30 pace. I wouldn't worry about slipping, but the added force or your legs for the number of turns you would have to make would be tough. If you do end up in the gym make sure that the course gets made with nice rounded turns. Depending on the gym its probably 12-24 laps.
          Scout7

I've done 2 miles like that. With many other people at the same time. Don't expect a PR.
              I've done 2 miles like that. With many other people at the same time. Don't expect a PR.
              Yeah, the track sessions usually get about 50 people this time of year. Maybe not in this weather, but still I'd expect quite a few.

The weather should have cleared up a little in Auburn by 6:00. I wouldn't worry about getting outside, there might be some showers but you probably won't melt. Unless there's an indoor track at E-L (and I don't believe there is?) then I'd just go outside to run. Of course, I plan on going outside to run either way.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

A Saucy Wench

Unfortunately, it's pouring in Maine today and only about 45-50 degrees.
                  OK...to me this sounds like normal running weather. You wouldnt drag me to an indoor track for anything like that...especially not a basketball court.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

OK...to me this sounds like normal running weather. You wouldnt drag me to an indoor track for anything like that...especially not a basketball court.
                    Yeah, but for a free coaching program made up of people that may or may not have any sort of base and/or running experience, running a 1 mile time trial in those conditions could be less than ideal.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

My track club has its first summer workout tonight. Unfortunately, it's pouring in Maine today and only about 45-50 degrees. We always do a one mile time trial on the first day to give us a base point for pacing during the first month or so of workouts. The coach has said that he hopes to be able to run it outside, and if that isn't possible due to bad conditions, he would try to get us into the basketball gym to run it. I'm not sure how many laps would be a mile, but I'm guessing it must be quite a few. Has anyone ever run a mile like that? Tips/suggestions? I'm not thrilled about the weather, but I think I'd rather run it on the track and get a little cold. If everything was perfect, I was going to shoot for a 6:30, which would be near my PR, but considering the conditions, maybe I should lower my expectations.
                      Dana: So you're a 177lb 28 years old male with a female name (???) who can run somewhere around 6:30 for the mile which is actually not too bad... So assuming this is not a troll, here's what I think: 1) When I was a coach in Japan, this one girl had a 5000m time trial scheduled one day. The head coach was away and I was to time her. I went to pick her up at the usual workout time (3:00) and we went to the track. It was not only pouring rain but also with gusty wind. I can still envision her running through the side-way rain in a sylluet (it was actually pretty cool...). She was, as I recall, some 20 seconds off her PR. She did well. But upon hearing how it went, the head coach said, "Oh, I thought you might pick the time so the weather condition would be better so she would have a better time..." This has been one of my lasting lessons. Depending on what you're doing and why you're doing it; it's so much better to pick a good condision so the workout itself would be an encouragement. You go up and down the hills, charge some tough intervals, etc...go ahead and run into the wind or slush mud and water paddles--in fact, if that's the case, don't whine about 50F weather with nice sprinkle!--; but if you're doing those time trials for a specific purpose and you're hoping for a decent time; then do it on some other day. If you slide it one or two day, that won't make that much of a difference. 2) My daughter ran 6:50 for the mile for her PE class a couple of years ago, running around the gym. You're not trying to break 4-minutes; if you run the turns well, I don't think 6:30 is that fast you'd have to worry about tilting your body too far around the corners. You still want to wear appropriate shoes (good grip and not too thick) though. 3) If you in fact have run 6:30 for the mile, I'd assume you're not so much like C25K group where you need to work on your base building by jogging for a couple of minutes and walking a few more minutes, in which case, doing it in the gym shouldn't be much of an issue at all. If you're somewhat a seasoned runner who would get together with a club group and "train" with them, you might want to consider graduating to a training program a bit more advanced. 4) And finally, really, 50F? It was 24F this morning here (but then again, it's MN here...!). Granted, I'd hate to run when it's 20F and raining (most likely and hopefully, then it would be snowing...). Last Thursday, I had to walk 1:15 in the rain because I hurt my calf at the moment and can't run. The rain later turned to snow on Friday. It wasn't pouring but just a drizzle...but I hated it just the same! But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Dana is a boy's name, too - I went to high school with a boy named that.
                          Dana is a boy's name, too - I went to high school with a boy named that.
                          Oops! My bad then...! It's got to be the language thing; all English names sound alike to me... ;o) Sorry!!
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oops! My bad then...! It's got to be the language thing; all English names sound alike to me... ;o) Sorry!!
                            No problem. I also went to college with a girl named Kevin, but that's kind of unusual!
                              Dana: So you're a 177lb 28 years old male with a female name (???) who can run somewhere around 6:30 for the mile which is actually not too bad... So assuming this is not a troll, here's what I think: 4) And finally, really, 50F? It was 24F this morning here (but then again, it's MN here...!). Granted, I'd hate to run when it's 20F and raining (most likely and hopefully, then it would be snowing...). Last Thursday, I had to walk 1:15 in the rain because I hurt my calf at the moment and can't run. The rain later turned to snow on Friday. It wasn't pouring but just a drizzle...but I hated it just the same! But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
                              I've been told Dana is a girl's name, but I've never met a woman Dana. I have met about seven other men named Dana. Don't worry about it. I didn't pick the name. The running club is made up of people of all abilities. I'm not the fastest one there at all. The coach does a good job of making sure everyone has a good workout. This will be the fifth year that I've been going to these workouts, and I feel that I have learned a lot and gained much as a runner from them. We didn't end up running the mile time trial last night. We went inside to a classroom and the coach went over some things for the new people. Afterwards, I went out to the track with three other people and we ran for about 45 minutes. I'm not afraid of running in bad weather, I just wanted to see if anyone on here has done a mile inside a gym (outside of gym class). Anyway, nevermind. Next week we'll be on the track and I'll shoot for a good time then.
                                update. we ran the mile last night, and i ran a 6:26. now i can look forward to a 5k this sunday (sea dog's mothers' day 5k in portland). mcmillan calculator predicts 22:17, i wonder how close i'll come.