Indoor track pointers? (Read 390 times)

Soon I will be racing the 1600 on an indoor track. It is a 160 meter track (10 laps for 1600 meters) and it is rubberized. I want to go under 5:00, because (being that this is my second sophomore timed mile) i want to beat 4:59.5, which was my freshman outdoor 1600 record, and that was at the end of the season. This way, ill be starting right where i left off (except indoors, so even better!). anyways...i was wondering if anyone could help me out, since this track obviously isnt very good for racing. My first official timed mile was on a carpeted 200 meter track, and i ran 5:00.72. Also, idk if this will help, but 2 weeks ago, we did a practice mile on this track. I ran 5:16, which isn't bad since a) we ran an all out 800 20 minutes earlier, and b) is wasn't really a race situation. (I was trying to be as descriptive as possible)
      What a fantastic event the indoor mile is on a banked track (is it banked?). Come from off the pace, sit right on the outside shoulder of the leader for nine laps, go with any breaks, let the race pull you along, stay close to the inside and make sure you protect your space, if you feel great make sure you grunt and moan a few times, wink to the people doing field events, if you feel horrible then be very quiet, at the bell, snap your fingers in his ear and bury him. Best of luck.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs