Problem staying erect... (Read 1188 times)

Running Dad

I knew that would get you. Pervs... no seriously here's my question. Anytime I'm running I always feel like I'm leaning forward way to much. I try to keep my body straight and inline but I just don't feel like it's working. Any tips tricks or hints? Thanks!
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ab work is good stuff. When mine are weak I definitely feel it by the end of a longer run. I start feeling like I'm not able to stay upright...and then the wheels fall off.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sandi Sue

I definitely have that same issue. I think the key, in addition to building up your abs, is to be aware during your run and if you catch yourself leaning forward too much straighten up and correct it. I've found that any kind of form of correction takes time to perfect and also an awareness of it during your runs. Ya know what I mean?

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I wouldn't worry about it. Like Zoom said, though, building up some core strength might help. I also recommend building up some strength in your back. The solution to most posture problems is a good workout program. Try doing some squats and deadlifts - they'll give you the most bang for your workout-buck.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think in general, the best remedy is to do core-strengthening exercises.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

#artbydmcbride

Despite my 'handle' I try to incline slightly only from the ankles! I find that tilting my butt under and forward straightens out my form when running. Think of the thrust you make during....well you know.....anyway, ...it keeps you more upright and not leaning from the hips. Smile

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Think of the thrust you make during....well you know.
                No, I don't know. Please explain.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Ditto what Kirsten said. Core work is important. I also do low back work at the gym - deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, and reverse hyperextensions. Overall back strengthening is important too - dumbell rows or bent rows are some good exercises. I've had shoulder problems and it was always a result of muscle imbalance. The back strengthening pulls the shoulder muscles, rear delts back and improves balance and posture. I also learned to squeeze my shoulder blades together when bench pressing. Makes for a nice stable platform to press from and keeps the shoulders in a neutral position. I find that the upper body strength training and core work really helps my posture and keeps me out of the PT's office. I'm hunched over a keyboard all day at work. Other than that, basic stuff like keeping your eyes focused straight ahead rather than down at the ground will keep your head up and consequently keep you more upright.

Giant Flaming Dork

Despite my 'handle' I try to incline slightly only from the ankles! I find that tilting my butt under and forward straightens out my form when running. Think of the thrust you make during....well you know.....anyway, ...it keeps you more upright and not leaning from the hips. Smile
                    Damn. Just. Damn. You've just ruined my next few workouts... Shocked

http://xkcd.com/621/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You've just ruined my next few workouts... Shocked
                      Workouts or shorts...? Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why do you think it necessary to be upright? This is YOUR body's natural running position. Er, run with it.

Running Dad

I've just read everywhere and seen alot of people run more upright. Everything says that a lean is bad form but I guess you're right. It is how I run. I dunno. I'm working on it, and maybe I just shouldn't worry.
                          Things to do this year:
                          Not get an injury
                          Things done this year:
                          Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Giant Flaming Dork

Workouts or shorts...? Evil grin
                            Perhaps both. I plead the 5th.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Carps10

alright i think you're a little confused. when you see really good runners, they have a slight forward lean. this is because of the way their feet strike the ground and it really just happens at the ankles....never bend at the waist. it doesn't even take a lot of core strength, it just takes an understanding of running form.
                              Purdey

Self anointed title

I find that tilting my butt under and forward straightens out my form when running. Think of the thrust you make during....well you know.....anyway, .. Smile
                                No problem staying erect here.... Wink