Ocean Drive Marathon (Read 525 times)

My legs are killing me

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this race which takes place at the end of March in Cape May, NJ? I love Cape May and I need a new goal to shoot for to keep me on the straight and narrow over the winter.
      I was always intrigued by this race. I have a great connection with the south jersey shore especially Sea Isle City, where the point to point race ends. So I ran it in 2008. I really liked it for many reasons. The majority of reviews you will read about this race are related to the winds. The course runs due northeast. In 2008 there were strong headwinds the entire way. If you read about it on marathonguide.com, you will find that the strong headwinds are present most years,,, but not all years. With the wind at your face, its not a PR course. But it is so flat, that with no wind or a favourable wind, it would be a PR course. It will be a very different experince from your recent NYC race (great job by the way). There will be anywhere from 350 to 500 marathoners. There is also a 10 miler that starts at the same time and ends in Wildwood. The extra people (in this case) are a welcome addition to the event. Because after they finish, you will have several stretches with little or no crowd support. Which is fine by me,, but many others like or need the cow bells and constant cheering. The race is run very well,,, good hydration stations and for $6 they will mail you the bib number and race packet. No chips are needed because you will cross the start line in about 10 seconds. The buses that run from between the finish and the startare prompt, plentiful, warm and have bathrooms. The run along the ocean is invigorating and if you do this, you will be proud of the effort. Last year, I think the winds cost be about 30 seconds a mile, but that is hard to really gauge. Good Luck

My legs are killing me

Andre, Thanks for the information! You bring up a good point on the wind and it was something I was wondering about. Looking at the course, there is no hiding from the wind off the ocean but it looks like a beautiful run. It will definately be a different experience from NYC but being the beach bum I am the view of the ocean will probably compensate for the crowd difference. Thanks again. Your report was a big help!
          Good to see you looking for your next Sully. The reports DO seem to have three things in common; wind, wind and more wind. Ocean Drive Run Club, Inc. Ocean Drive Marathon & 10-Miler, 5K, 1.5-Mile Fun Run - Cape May County, NJ USA

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

My legs are killing me

Hey Dawg, Is it windy? lol. Thanks for the link! Good reading. I guess you have to compensate for lack of hills somehow.
            xor

I've done this race. The race will either be windy or WINDY. And the wind is not a tailwind. It's pretty flat... though you go over several drawbridges. On a wet day (like when I ran it in 2005), those bridges are slippery buggers. Wildwood is a really neat area. Note well, though, that this is offseason. Most everything will be boarded up. You can find a hotel easy enough, even a cheesy kitchy place, but many places will be closed. I stayed at the starlux. My room had a lava lamp and lots of mirrors. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Here's a random funky wildwood motel. It was closed when I took the picture: Image and video hosting by TinyPic And here's the lighthouse at cape may. You don't see this during the race, but I liked it. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

xor

Oh. And note the pristine blue skies. Yeah. That was the day before the race. Race day did not look so nice. Anyway. Here's my lava lamp: Image and video hosting by TinyPic And sunset in Wildwood: Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Prince of Fatness

I've never run this race, but as a lifelong resident of NJ I will second the comment on the wind. Expect wind, because if you don't get it it would be unusual. March is the one of the worst months of the year around here for running. You think that winter is over, but the whole @^%$% month is cold and windy.

Not at it at all. 

There is also a lot of 'noise' from runners who think the course should be reversed. Ed, the RD says that is not going to happen,, and I'm glad he is sticking to it. The event has a gritty charm that shouldn't be messed with.

Renee the dog

I live in Wildwood and ran the 10 miler last year. All week long, wind was warm from the south...race day, you know it -- turned cold and came from the west and north and east! (yeah, really) Guess the weather gods didn't want to disappoint those expecting "the usual." Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!