Domino effect (Read 491 times)

Swadvad

As you can see from an earlier post, I have been suffering from plantar faciitis in both feet. I bought some over the counter orthotics at my local running store, which seem to be helping. I felt good enough to run a 5K this past Sat. Well, Tuesday night, after a short 2-mile run, my lower back went out on me and it's been impossible to run (walking is quite difficult still). I have been prone to back problems since injurying it about 12 years ago and this happens about once a year with no warning. My question is, could the orthotics have contributed to my back strain this time? I personally don't think so, but what is the conventional wisdom about tweaking your mechanics for one problem, only to cause a domino effect on other areas of your body? This is frustrating. I don't run 10% of what most runners do, but I can't seem to shake these nagging health issues. Angry Getting older stinks!

Along for the Ride

What do you do to keep your back strong? I've injured mine last year and find Yoga really helps, as does free style swimming and just core exercises. Look into McKenzie. He is from New Zealand, I think. My PT used his method when working with me after my injury - I am sold on it!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Could the orthotics have contributed to my back strain this time?
        Yes, I think anything that changes your gait can impact your back.
        This is frustrating. I don't run 10% of what most runners do, but I can't seem to shake these nagging health issues.
        Based on your logged workouts, I strongly suspect you're running too fast. Most running should be easy running, and "easy" means that when you finish you still feel great, and you can do it day after day without pain or exhaustion. If this doesn't describe you, you're not running easy and need to slow down, perhaps even walking part (or most) of the time, until you're stronger. If you really want to be sure what "easy" feels like, get a heart rate monitor and try to keep your heart rate below 180 minus your age. I bet it will be an eye opener. Runnergabe's suggestion of yoga is also a good one. Core strength makes a world of difference, even in how you sit and stand throughout the day. And "core" refers to a lot more than just your abs.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Swadvad

Thanks Runnergabe and Ed4. It's interesting that you mentioned yoga. I did it for awhile about a year ago, but for whatever reason I stopped. Just before I strained my back Tuesday, I checked out a yoga video from the local library to refresh my recollection on the poses and techniques. I'll plan to start up again. When I finish a run, I have been measuring my heart rate at 155 to 160. I am 45 years old, so you say that my heart rate should be 135? That's interesting. A friend of ours is an ultra marathon runner (age 69!). He told my wife this week to slow down and don't overdo the mileage either. He reminded her that she has the rest of her life to run. I guess, Ed4, you are telling me the same thing. I think because a lot of you guys run 30+ miles a week, at a quick pace, I should be able to do that too. **But not if I'm constantly injured.** Slow and steady wins the race. At least I will be more healthy if I can get out there more consistently.
            You should check out this group Low Hr Training Lots of good infoon low HR training and how to establish your individual range. Hope you feel better soon

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group