GPS Accuracy Could Start Dropping in 2010 (Read 993 times)

Come on, Air Force, get your shit together. I can't go back to driving my runs ahead of time to measure. Seriously. GPS Accuracy Could Start Dropping in 2010
    wyerock

Bleh. I think TidBITS is trying to make much ado about nothing to get a story going. I'd bet part of that paper was to promote GPS III. Boeing is set (already under contract) to launch another GPS (newest block IIF) satellite this year, seven more in 2010, and four more in 2011-12. Lockheed-Martin launched their seventh (almost as new IIR-M) satellite in March. The oldest of those seven is from 2005, and one more is scheduled for deployment. So that's TWENTY modern GPS II satellites in place by 2012, with 16 in place by 2010. There are also 12 block IIR (R is for replenishment) satellites in place now, of which the oldest is from 1997 and the newest from 2004. That accounts for 32 satellites all less than 13 years old in 2010, and most of them are much newer. There are 13 older block IIA satellites that are still in service despite exceeding their life expectancy. GPS III is scheduled for 2013, with an incentive in place to start in 2011. The Euro GPS (Galileo) is set for 2013 and will also provide worldwide coverage (which I'm sure high end receivers will use in conjunction with US GPS). So unless Darth Vader and a Battlecruiser show up, we'll have plenty of satellites on through 2010 and much further. (I know you weren't being to serious in posting the story, but that TidBITS article really bothered me). I should note that the original Navstar satellites had a planned life of 7.5 years. From what I'm seeing, it looks like they were being replaced before failure at 13 years. Also, you can get a good GPS lock from fewer satellites (many receivers are limited to 12 anyways), but I'm not sure how many are visible at a time from a single location.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GPS_satellite_launches

Imminent Catastrophe

Too much depends on GPS, civil aviation is also very dependent on it, especially the newer airplanes. They won't let it lapse.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Aircraft still have a backup (although many airports are moving to GPS-based approaches). Other applications (ships, ICBM's, surveyors, etc.) may not have that luxury. As with most other things in politics, nothing is ever as it seems. Probably just angling for more money for the project. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Aircraft still have a backup
            do Mad Dogs even have GPS?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

an amazing likeness

Some (sort of) interesting links on this: The GAO report: http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-09-325 Garmin and Tom-Tom say they aren't all that concerned: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347447,00.asp

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

flatfoot

sound like Y2K all over again.