Soft Shell? (Read 1040 times)

Anyone have any experience with soft shell fleece jackets? I was thinking about the fact that my old shell by Craft is..well I'm not really sure where it is so I guess it doesn't matter. Anyway, I've been thinking about getting a soft shell fleece to run in when the temp drops down for sub-freezing fun. I figure I'd want something with some breathability, maybe some wind/rain resistance like most seem to have. A spur of the moment trip to REI last night only really proved to me that the NF Apex Bionic was the nicest I saw (didn't try on the Marmots since they are so expensive): Though doing a little reading it seemed not to breathe very much, and I was a bit worried about overheating. Any thoughts?

~J

flatland mountaineer

I have a marmot sharp point, works pretty well in cold weather, really blocks the wind sheds water well but still breathes. It has pit zips which I consider a must in a run soft shell. Arterexx makes some cool ones but $$$$

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I've got the REI ONE soft shell. I've only used it on the coldest runs and it works. Most soft shells will be almost completely windproof but still breathable. I've got a black one so I wear it as an everyday jacket..(once it's been washed after a run)
        "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" -George Patton"\

Runner

look at mountain hardwear.... the tanglewood jacket is really good for runners(back pocket, reflective areas, thumb loops to keep it down over your hands, and is fairly affordable compared to others. For a heavier more versatille one look at the g50. It is very similar to the more expensive marmot's/arc teryx but if you go to everestgear.com you can usually find a good deal on them.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I might think that's too heavy. I've been wearing two LS tech shirts, or a SS and LS and thin wind/water repellent jackets. I think that fleece would be too warm after a bit, even cutting down to one shirt. Unless it's maybe got pit zips for moisture management. I'm amazed at how the body warms up after just a bit. And I've been running in teens and single digits. Main thing, I think, it head and hands.
            mikeymike

I might think that's too heavy. I've been wearing two LS tech shirts, or a SS and LS and thin wind/water repellent jackets. I think that fleece would be too warm after a bit, even cutting down to one shirt. Unless it's maybe got pit zips for moisture management. I'm amazed at how the body warms up after just a bit. And I've been running in teens and single digits. Main thing, I think, it head and hands.
              +1 Though I will say as a dad of several girls that the North Face softshells, worn with a pair of Uggs are pretty much the standard uniform amongst middle school and high school girls right now.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it would have to be in the single digits before I wouldn't overheat in that. Might be better to have 2 separate jackets--a fleece full-zip top and a full-zip windbreaker. Then you are prepared for a wider variety of conditions and can remove one layer at a time as needed.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giant Flaming Dork

Mmmm.... Soft shells are much better. Hard shell is too much work... http://www.bluecrab.info/frying_softs.htm

http://xkcd.com/621/

I live in the same area as you and find that for me a light tech shirt with a windbreaker is much more versatile and is enough for the temps that we typically get. Everyone is different though.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Darla1

I have the NF Apex Bionic jacket and LOVE it. I live in MN and ran outside on Sunday when it was 1 degrees with no wind. I was very comfortable, and I had a Under Armor compression long sleeve t-shirt under. In my opinion, the NF Apex jacket breathes and is very light. I would recommend it.