Pfitz 18/55 Plan (Read 810 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I gave up free weights about 6 weeks ago. However, I'm still doing core, lunges, pushup and rubberbands. I was hoping to lose a few pounds by giving up the free weights. However, the core, lunges, pushup and rubberbands are maintaining my muscle mass. I'm afraid to give them up at this point.

I like to do the strength circuit Pfitz has in his book. I usually do it 2-3 times a week along with some spinning. Don't have time got a gym and gives you decent workout.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

I have just run my first marathon (Philly) without much of a plan, and am going for a second in May (New Jersey) for which I will do the 18/55, starting around Dec 27th or so. There is just one thing that I find a little odd, and that is that in the third mesocycle, there are no more LT runs, and a VO2 every week. Does that not strike anybody else as being odd? I imagine there is a good reason, byt it escapes me, as the book tells us LT is key to running faster longer, and that VO2 is not really important for a marathon

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

I have just run my first marathon (Philly) without much of a plan, and am going for a second in May (New Jersey) for which I will do the 18/55, starting around Dec 27th or so. There is just one thing that I find a little odd, and that is that in the third mesocycle, there are no more LT runs, and a VO2 every week. Does that not strike anybody else as being odd? I imagine there is a good reason, byt it escapes me, as the book tells us LT is key to running faster longer, and that VO2 is not really important for a marathon

I noticed that too. However, there is a 18 mile long run with 14 at marathon pace in the third cycle. Its not a LT run but I'm sure it it close. i have this 18 miler this Sunday.i hope I survive. I think it the only workout remaining that concerns me.

[Competitive] Jerk

If you look more closely while there are no LT runs he prescribes 8K, 10K and 15K races which are essentially LT runs. FWIW I ran no speedwork all year this year and only ran a total of 4 LT runs and still PRd by almost 15 minutes from last year in the marathon. I think a lot depends on where you are on your running "toothpaste". I'm probably still close to a full tube so no matter where I squeeze I get plenty of toothpaste out meaning I can run pretty much whatever I like and I will improve. Someone who's been running for a long time is closer to the end of their tube of toothpaste and they need very specific work to squeeze every last bit out of it or get every last bit of performance gain in terms of running.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If you look more closely while there are no LT runs he prescribes 8K, 10K and 15K races which are essentially LT runs. FWIW I ran no speedwork all year this year and only ran a total of 4 LT runs and still PRd by almost 15 minutes from last year in the marathon. I think a lot depends on where you are on your running "toothpaste". I'm probably still close to a full tube so no matter where I squeeze I get plenty of toothpaste out meaning I can run pretty much whatever I like and I will improve. Someone who's been running for a long time is closer to the end of their tube of toothpaste and they need very specific work to squeeze every last bit out of it or get every last bit of performance gain in terms of running.

I...have never heard this analogy before.  Awesome.

MTA: ...and yes, if you do those races, or even substitute a time trial as I did, you'll get your L up to its T plenty during that mesocycle.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I...have never heard this analogy before.  Awesome.

+1

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Basin Runner

I used Pfitz 18/55 and ran 3:29 BQ-11.  Down from  4:05 from my previous marathon 6 months earlier using Higdon intermediate II  Increased my mpw from 40 to 50 using Pfitz which helped.It's a tough program but can get the best from you.  I plan to use Pfitz 18/70 next time.  I don't sugggest pfitz for the first marathon unless you are an experienced racer.  Higdon novie or intermediate are probably better to start with.

I just entered the Pfitz 18/55 training plan into Running Ahead. If I manage to do all the workouts without injury, I feel sure that I will have some impressive results, but the emphasis being on "if I don't get injured". I will try to be smart and back off if it is getting too hard, but those are just words for the moment, we all know how hard it is to back off and not push too far.

Having said that, there is never more than 5 days a week running, and this combined with recovery runs, does leave some good time for....recovery.

On the other hand, the first point that made me raise my eyebrows was in week 7, a 7m general aerobic followed by an 18m LR. I doesn't get much harder after that, but there is the accumulation of hard effrots which may take its toll. Of course life will dictate some adjustments, but I am looking forward to trying to follow the program to the letter, and comparing with other runners doing the same program.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

I just entered the Pfitz 18/55 training plan into Running Ahead. If I manage to do all the workouts without injury, I feel sure that I will have some impressive results, but the emphasis being on "if I don't get injured". I will try to be smart and back off if it is getting too hard, but those are just words for the moment, we all know how hard it is to back off and not push too far.

Having said that, there is never more than 5 days a week running, and this combined with recovery runs, does leave some good time for....recovery.

On the other hand, the first point that made me raise my eyebrows was in week 7, a 7m general aerobic followed by an 18m LR. I doesn't get much harder after that, but there is the accumulation of hard effrots which may take its toll. Of course life will dictate some adjustments, but I am looking forward to trying to follow the program to the letter, and comparing with other runners doing the same program.

The end of Week 8 & start of week 9 were my toughest. He squeezed 6 days of running in a 7 day period. Although the weekly totals were in the 50s the 6 workouts were above 60 miles. I was tired and skipped the recovery run the day before week 9 long run. This is the only run i missed so far.

[Competitive] Jerk

OK, I know it's anecdotal but I just set a 13 second PR in the 5K today with absolutely zero speedwork between my last 5K PR and this one in a bit over 4 months. I ran a total of 4 LT runs, a total of 21 miles at LT in them (4,4,5,8). But I ran almost 300 miles per month which is more than I've ever done before. "Run more" is my new motto.