Any way to remove points from a GPS-generated map? (Read 347 times)

Hi folks,

I'd like my maps to reflect a "canonical" route so I can show them to other people, but because I use my Garmin Forerunner 305 while running to and from where I park, I get "extra" data that I'd like to remove from the canonical route. I'm happy to adjust the workout data separately if necessary; I just want the maps to be clean.

I see how to edit a map after saving it, and I can move points around, but I can't see how to delete the extra mile or so that shows up for my warmup and cooldown. Is this possible?

I'm using Firefox 3.6 on Mac OS X 10.6.2, and importing data from the Forerunner 305.

cheers... -Adam

Lazy idiot

Hi Adam,

I should know if this is possible, but I'm not sure.  If I work on the assumption that it's not, here's how I would work around it.

Start the Garmin while I run my warm-up, and when I get to the "start" of what I want to record.  Hang tight for five seconds, stop the Garmin, hold the lap button to reset to a new route, and go from there.  When you get back to the "finish", do the same.  Start up the Garmin again for your trip home.

Perhaps someone who knows the "real" answer will step forward?

Drew

Tick tock

eric :)

Adam,

The GPS data cannot be modified because each GPS reading is tied to your position (latitude/longitude).  Any changes will affect your entire workout.

If you wish to clean up the map, you can save it as a course, which will allow you to edit and save it.  You can then show this map to your friends as well as specifying it as your route for the workout.

As for warmup/cool down, you should do what Drew suggested.  In the future, I will add route splicing, which will do what you have requested.

eric :-)