Race 13.1 or Train 26.2? (Read 223 times)

My local town marathon is 9 weeks out from my goal marathon.  Being my local race, I've already decided to participate and am considering two options:  Full-on racing a Half or run the Full at a moderate pace (~MP + :60).  Which one would generally be less disruptive to a marathon training block (middle of Pfitz's LT+Endurance phase)?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do the half.  A full would be disruptive.

Feeling the growl again

Even run very easily, the marathon will be much more disruptive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

carlos49er

Half

It's not one of the two options you suggested, but the half marathon seems like a pretty good opportunity to do a supported marathon pace workout.  A few miles warm up and then 13 miles at marathon pace is pretty much exactly what Pfitz is asking from you 9 weeks out.

If you are fixed on either racing the half or doing a 26.2 mile training run then - like everyone else - I'd say race the half, taking a couple of extra easy days either side.

Thanks, all.  The Half it is.  Looks like everybody agrees...which just might be a FKT (first known time) here on RA.  Smile

I entered races where I only wanted to run a moderate pace. Every time the gun goes off I change my mind and end up racing. It's an urge I can't control.

My vote is half too and would do one of two things:

-Run it as the first 1/2 of a marathon and at your marathon pace which would be slower than your normal HM

-Find a running partner or buddy that you KNOW is slower than you and run with them at their pace

Just make a fun run day out of it....

Champions are made when no one is watching